corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » x16xe in a mess!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author x16xe in a mess!
jimmymc

User status: Offline
   30th Apr 08 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi thought id post this here see if any of you guys happen to know whats going on in my engine!
bought a corsa gsi in january from a guy who said "its ok but its onl running on 3 cylinders"
thinking i needed a project i gave him a couple of peanuts and took the car of his hands! ive just got round to having a look at it recently and thought id share what i found see if anyone can shed some light on this ?
at first it wasnt starting of the key but fixed this and it fired into life first crack.
so running like a bag of spanners i started to investigate and found cylinders1+2 werent firing.
compression test revealed all was well.
so decided to pop the head off and look inside.
got the head off and looked at it and seen this

bottom end looks ok but can see #1 has had work recently? there are slight scores on piston crown where its maybe been cleaned up with a wire brush on a drill, but on the head i can see a new exhaust valve and some damage (not major) where there has been a bit of metal or something in the bore. the cylinders are almost perfect no lip at all, no scoreing and the rings seem ok aswell? but since the work it almost certainly has never fired on this cylinder as new exhaust valve is like new!
anyone spot he new valve!

so looking further back the the throttle body , inlet and related areas are absolutely covered in black gungey (technical reference) crap!

could it possibly be that when the valve failed previously or any other ailments the car had previously that the gunge found its way to the inlet side ? there is a hole in the throttle body bracket that i think lets in mixture to the inlet which is almost blocked could it be possible that the mixture is so far off by the time it reaches #2 then #1 that it just wouldnt fire on those cylinders? sounds far fetched but im not familiar with vaux engines but cant see any other problems so thought this might be it? anythoughts apreciated greatly!
sorry for the long post but needed that off my chest!
Torsa g

30th Apr 08 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

firstly have you got a spark on cylinders 1 and 2
jimmymc

30th Apr 08 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes sorry forgot 2 add that. yes all cylinders had equall decent sparks
Torsa g

30th Apr 08 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did you try a compression test befoe taking the head off, if not put the head on and time it up and check that there is compresion, the valve might not of been seated correctly
jimmymc

30th Apr 08 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

?? yeah compression test done ith head on aswell.
Torsa g

30th Apr 08 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and all was ok,
Richardhhha

30th Apr 08 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jimmymc
hi thought id post this here see if any of you guys happen to know whats going on in my engine!
bought a corsa gsi in january from a guy who said "its ok but its onl running on 3 cylinders"
thinking i needed a project i gave him a couple of peanuts and took the car of his hands! ive just got round to having a look at it recently and thought id share what i found see if anyone can shed some light on this ?
at first it wasnt starting of the key but fixed this and it fired into life first crack.
so running like a bag of spanners i started to investigate and found cylinders1+2 werent firing.
compression test revealed all was well.
so decided to pop the head off and look inside.
got the head off and looked at it and seen this

jimmymc

30th Apr 08 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as above yeah everything was ok. i should probably say that i checked all obvious problems and trouble shooting was done with engine complete . im no vauxhall expert but have worked extensively with evo's and jap cars in general but the induction on this ecotec x16xe seems very complex and havent had time to study it and get my head rond it. although i kind of understand that that hole in the body bracket is not where the mixture goes into the manifold! lol just a thought
Torsa g

30th Apr 08 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry missed that bit
Torsa g

30th Apr 08 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your better of with one of these all together, will save you loads of hassle

http://www.c20xe.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=412101
jimmymc

30th Apr 08 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah for that money i could have a complete engine aswell but id really like to get to the bottom off this and fix this one. i will find the cause and get it runninng again! lol
jimmymc

30th Apr 08 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anybody?
luke85

30th Apr 08 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you have good compression across all cylinders then its either:

A fuel problem i.e. the 2 connectors not on properly for the dead cylinders or faulty injectors

Or its an ignition problem, bearing in mind that just because they spark in free air doenst necessarily mean they are sparking under 10 bar or pressure. Are the plugs in good condition? could even be a coil pack not sending a strong enough spark

[Edited on 30-04-2008 by luke85]
luke85

30th Apr 08 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are those plugs as oily as they look in the pictures?
jimmymc

30th Apr 08 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the plugs are quite oily but its just the unburnt mixture so oily is maybe the wrong word. id say wet more than oily. when i had the engine running the plugs n the cylinders that were firing went black sooty but again im putting this down to the mess in the induction system?
jimmymc

30th Apr 08 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh yeah and the plugs are new havent changed the coil pack but may do so just to rule it out when i rebuild it.
luke85

30th Apr 08 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Black and sooty I wouldn't worry about at this stage and the gunk in the inlet is a combination of exhaust gas from the EGR and oil mist from the engine breathing. If I was you id fit a pair of new plugs and put the head back on, wouldn't even use a new gasket, Just to try and get if firing on all 4. Are the leads in good condition and how have you found out which the dead cylinders are?
jimmymc

1st May 08 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dead cylinders were found by lookin at the plugs which were wet then i took the ht leads off those plugs which made no difference to the way engine ran. take off either 3 or 4 ht leads and engine wouldnt run . i fitted new plugs in it before taking the headoff and no joy still the same.
BeArDy

1st May 08 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is that photo off the head off are the cams still in?
Are all valves seated right? as i would questions why only one 1 valves has been replaced, maybe send it off to be pressure tested.
What did you get them you did a compression test before taking the head off?
sand-eel

1st May 08 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

take it the gasket was wrecked after the head was taken off?
actually the compression would be bad then...
jimmymc

2nd May 08 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah the gasket is knackered from head removal . the cams are still i the head .compression was around 230 on all cylinders as far as i can remember i think its dropped a valve at some stage ???

New Poll