corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » What should i look for when picking my project car?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What should i look for when picking my project car?
Steveocee

User status: Offline
29th Jul 08 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello, i'm really hoping i can get some info off you guys on here before i make the big plunge.
I'm looking at starting a project corsa in the very near next few weeks and i'm having problems deciding what car to start it from.

Long term project plans are fully stripped out, 2 bucket seats and either a red-top or LET. BUT i'm wondering what car would be best starting with?

I'm definently not wanting a sunroof'd model but other smaller things such as should i get one electrics? Or will it be more beneficial without electrics?

With regards to engines i've seen quite afew conversion kits for different models so which would be best to make for an easier conversion as i'm hazarding a guess as it'll be me and my cousin doing it.

Any advice or pointing in the right direction will be appreciated

Steve
andyc1234

29th Jul 08 at 23:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just get the most basic model you can. if your after thrashing the crap out of it on a track just go for an xe
mattievRS

30th Jul 08 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah get a basic model corsa and make sure its a sound shell and chassis and it aint going to fall to bits every time you drive it
Steveocee

30th Jul 08 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool, i was thinking that the basic ones would be the best bet, i'm guessing they'll be cheaper to buy in the first instants anyway.
Jakey
Premium Member

30th Jul 08 at 19:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They will be cheaper to buy, plus it wont have air con, power steering, electric mirrors/widows or central locking.
Steveocee

30th Jul 08 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jakey
They will be cheaper to buy, plus it wont have air con, power steering, electric mirrors/widows or central locking.

I was hoping for power steering if possible, i've never owned a car without power steering.

Air con i really am not too bothered with so advice appreciated for that, i'm guessing things like electric mirros and windows just add extra weight to the car aswell?
Jakey
Premium Member

30th Jul 08 at 20:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Power steering is for weak people. I've had 2 corsas and a clio. Both corsas havent have PAS but the clio did. Much prefer the feel of the corsa as you can feel all the turns in the road

Yeah, all the electric motors and wires will just add weight. Pointless if its gonna be a stripped out xe.
dannymccann

31st Jul 08 at 07:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And you dont need powersteering in a Corsa, they just arent heavy enough. Anyway, if you felt you needed it with your new engine it will come with its own PAS assembly wont it?
Dean_W

31st Jul 08 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
And you dont need powersteering in a Corsa, they just arent heavy enough. Anyway, if you felt you needed it with your new engine it will come with its own PAS assembly wont it?

A pump probably. But then theres the rack, hoses and reserviour to fit.

New Poll