corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Educated Discussion about file sharing

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Educated Discussion about file sharing
Doug

User status: Offline
22nd Sep 08 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right I know alot of people have opinions about file sharing technologies and how secure they are. Here is the first topic of discussion.....

In this day and age where ISPs are starting to prosecute users for downloading copyrighted material, how do you stay safe?

A couple scenarios to discuss

1 - User A connects to the Limewire network to obtain copyrighted material.

2 - User A then decides to try using torrents to obtain copyrighted material, using a public site such as torrentspy OR a private site such as demonoid.

3 - User A then feels he wants to try Newsgroups to obtain copyrighted material.

Which method is User A safest doing?

Please provide reasoning please as I want to keep it sensible and to the point

From what I have seen evidence of ISPs are able to prosecute people because they have been able to connect to users on P2P networks such as limewire and see copyrighted material stored in their 'shared folder'

But can ISPs prosecute you for using torrents if you are using a private site such as demonoid?
Matt L

22nd Sep 08 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know someone who uses torrents every so often, and he/she hasnt recieved anything.

but i read someone on here i think that newsgroups were the safest.
DannyB
Premium Member

22nd Sep 08 at 17:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Limewire is ok, depending on what you use it for. When i DL anything off there i place it in a folder, i scan the folder with numerous programes first to check for any viruses/trojans/spyware etc and i find the problems allways appear when i download programes, songs/albums are fine, never get anything with them.
John

22nd Sep 08 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ISP's don't prosecute anybody, it's not in their interests to lose custom, you'll need to get a better understanding than that.
ssj_kakarot

22nd Sep 08 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
ISP's don't prosecute anybody, it's not in their interests to lose custom, you'll need to get a better understanding than that.

i dont see why fair enough its not the isp's that prosecute people, mearly just pass details on to seperate bodys ect.

but.... his question is still the same, how do you stay safe? dont seea how him knowing that isps dont prosecute really changes that.

And he posted this topic to obtain a better understanding of the situation, dont see the need for the attitude.

[Edited on 22-09-2008 by ssj_kakarot]
John

22nd Sep 08 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's doing his homework for him basically, the isp's don't pass on details either unless they really have to, so he needs to do a bit more research to get a better understanding of it, what if it comes up in the interview that he may get from the application form he's filling in and he doesn't have any idea
Doug

22nd Sep 08 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I haven't been set this question at school or for a job interview

I'm sorry my understanding was off, I thought the letters were coming from the ISPs on behalf of the affected company. Obviously I'm wrong. I was just trying to have an interesting debate about the current legal climate and technologies that's all.
ed

22nd Sep 08 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Newsgroups aren't p2p. It's the uploading that people seem to be getting done for. You could turn off uploading with your torrents and what you're technically doing is stealing. Which judging by the amount of people who steal from shops and don't get done for it is an ok thing to do.
ssj_kakarot

22nd Sep 08 at 23:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
It's doing his homework for him basically, the isp's don't pass on details either unless they really have to, so he needs to do a bit more research to get a better understanding of it, what if it comes up in the interview that he may get from the application form he's filling in and he doesn't have any idea

never even crossed my mind he was doing it for an interview or something, surely if he was he would have said lol.

plus whats the difference reading about something on wiki or google or asking about it on a forum, its all learning.

its all a form of asking a question in some way or another, type it into google or type it into a new topic, same thing, infact this was is probally harder than google.
Dan Lewis

23rd Sep 08 at 07:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Newsgroups you can also get SSL, so in theory the most secure way of downloading data in the present climate with ISP's.

But to be fair if all the isps could do something.

Because for me i either go onto VCDquality the binsearch and then my internet connection is maxed out for the next 10mins. Or i go on NZBMatrix then my internet connection is maxed for the next hour or so.

I think that most ISP's will try to stop P2P and Torrents because they can see the IP's you are connecting to, to download the data.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

23rd Sep 08 at 09:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Using the limited encryption your tracker/client offers and using private torrent sites is your best effort to stay safe really. I only use public sites if I need something really bad or random.
willay
Premium Member

23rd Sep 08 at 09:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Newsgroups aren't p2p. It's the uploading that people seem to be getting done for. You could turn off uploading with your torrents and what you're technically doing is stealing. Which judging by the amount of people who steal from shops and don't get done for it is an ok thing to do.

Uploading is what makes BT great, even more so on private sites where your ratio is king and nothing else. You need uploading. People who just leech and log off should be banned from the internet

[Edited on 23-09-2008 by willay]
dannymccann

23rd Sep 08 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Doug
I'm sorry my understanding was off, I thought the letters were coming from the ISPs on behalf of the affected company.

For certain games, Dream Pinball, Call of Juarez, Colin McRae DiRT etc, letters are being sent out by Davenport Lyons, a firm of lawyers in London on behalf of Codemasters/Atari and other smaller companies. They obtain IP addresses off of public servers on the ED2K, BT and Limewire networks. They use this IP address and get a court order to make your ISP pass on your details then they send you a letter asking you to pay compensation of up to £650 for your part in uploading a certain file (hash numbers etc), even if you connected and uploaded say 20kb in 1 second then turned it off.

Its all over the Slyck forums.
Doug

24th Sep 08 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats the legality of downloading TV shows?

Technically they are not free to air as you need a cable subscription in USA.

Are they cracking down on those?
dannymccann

24th Sep 08 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not heard of anything concrete about TV shows, PC Games are being cracked particularly at the moment and so is the music you keep hearing about
Dom

24th Sep 08 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
Using the limited encryption your tracker/client offers and using private torrent sites is your best effort to stay safe really. I only use public sites if I need something really bad or random.

Torrents aren't safe whilst your downloading (and therefore uploading), whether you're using a public or private tracker as you IP address is still stored and anyone could be reporting back to the big cheeses. Limewire (and others like Kazza) are just as bad, although making sure you move the files out of your shared directory helps.
In either situation running something like PeerGuardian2 and keeping it updated will help.

Like said, SSL Newsgroups are probably the safest method of "buying" software/games but at a monthly cost.

Doug - downloading TV shows are illegal, even recording a UK aired programme to VHS/DVD is classed as illegal under UK law.
Ben G

25th Sep 08 at 00:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i made a thread about this in of day a while ago.

got a letter through the door saying we had allowed people to upload a song which we didn't hold the original copyright so and so's for.

the letter actually stated that it isn't illegal to download, it's only illegal to allow people to upload that song/file from you.

Doug

28th Sep 08 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So is rapidshare a fairly safe option to use?

My thinking is that your not actually uploading anything so thats pretty safe?
Joe

28th Sep 08 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use Rapidshare, legalities aside. Its quality, fast and easy.
Liam

28th Sep 08 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joe
I use Rapidshare, legalities aside. Its quality, fast and easy.

Same here, although have used Limewire before just to get single songs.
Russ

28th Sep 08 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

isp do make money from people not downloading, if you cant download that 4gb DVD-R your not using there bandwidth.

personally i use private trackers and encrypt ports.
Russ

28th Sep 08 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also, the legal definition for stealing, is to take something not belonging to yourself and deprive use to the owner. (something like that anyway)

if i d/l something.. im not stopping anybody using it
willay
Premium Member

29th Sep 08 at 07:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by willay

Torrents aren't safe whilst your downloading (and therefore uploading), whether you're using a public or private tracker as you IP address is still stored and anyone could be reporting back to the big cheeses. Limewire (and others like Kazza) are just as bad, although making sure you move the files out of your shared directory helps.
In either situation running something like PeerGuardian2 and keeping it updated will help.

Like said, SSL Newsgroups are probably the safest method of "buying" software/games but at a monthly cost.

Doug - downloading TV shows are illegal, even recording a UK aired programme to VHS/DVD is classed as illegal under UK law.

Yes very good, hence best effort Dom. I'd much rather stick to Private trackers as they are less likely to let law enforcement agencies register, if they aren't registered they can't just connect to the tracker and find out everyone connected to it unless they run the tracker that is aranoid:

Also what do you mean download hence uploading? if I download something and there is 0 leechers apart from me then I'm not uploading...

New Poll