corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » i have no idea about PC's - help with formatting HDD

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author i have no idea about PC's - help with formatting HDD
C2RL R

User status: Offline
21st Oct 08 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've been searching pages and pages of internet geek forums for help with this but they all talk in a language i don't understand. Basically i got some kind of virus on my pc a few months back. i thought i had got rid of it but it seems to just come back randomly and messes up my internet connection. i'm thinking of formatting the HDD and starting from scratch but i have no idea where to start. The OS on there is Windows XP but its not a legit version so i'm not going to beable to put it back on afterwards. I need some help with where to start with this and advice on what to do to get it back up and running properly.

cheers in advance
Toby
Premium Member

21st Oct 08 at 14:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you have the oringinal discs that came with the computer?
C2RL R

21st Oct 08 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no mate. had the PC built by some guy who used to work behind the bar at our cricket club. i've not seen him for about 2 years as apparently he got done for piracy! how much do microsoft charge for a copy of windows? i've looked on pc world for prices but i don't really know what i need.
Brett
Premium Member

21st Oct 08 at 14:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH, as long as you have an XP disc it's piss easy. Just stick it in and follow the instructions.

If it's a Dell, you can grab the Dell XP o/s discs for a fiver on ebay.

TBH, you could buy one of those anyway and i'll give you a code.
C2RL R

21st Oct 08 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i don't have any discs at all. its not a dell PC either. its not any make actually as i had it built. so i can buy a copy of XP on the bay? any chance of linking me to a seller as i want to make sure i get the right thing?
Brett
Premium Member

21st Oct 08 at 15:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Windows-XP-Disc_W0QQitemZ270289415270QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item270289415270&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A15%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

TBH I've seen them a third of that price on there before. I used to have stacks of them
C2RL R

21st Oct 08 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ordered. cheers brett.
C2RL R

23rd Oct 08 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fucking ebay have just sent me an email saying they have pulled the sellers advert for the XP disc as it violates their terms. gonna have to contact the seller now to ask for a refund if he's not already sent it.
Brett
Premium Member

23rd Oct 08 at 15:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Request his details and call him mate. Much easier than waiting for a reply.

New Poll