corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » What Wheels are the best for handeling

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What Wheels are the best for handeling
cyber_killer

User status: Offline
17th Mar 09 at 07:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok thank you people for past help i have decided to go on a 40mm drop. I have now changed my mind about wheels though. I am after finding out what peoplkes opionons are on the best size wheel to have with regards to handeling. I am so desperte to improve this cars handeling, its really poor compared to my previous cars.

P.s if anyone can tell me how i can search on theese forums it would be great as i am sure people will have asked these questions before

Thanks
Ck
Nick-S

17th Mar 09 at 07:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

15s
l15ter

17th Mar 09 at 08:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

go 60mm with 15s
harrisp

17th Mar 09 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by l15ter
go 60mm with 15s

60mm isn't best for handling at all.
--ToM--

17th Mar 09 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

60mm on 15s with 195 45 15 tyres ....
harrisp

17th Mar 09 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by --ToM--

Wrong again, 60mm is not the best for handling.
adz_gsi

17th Mar 09 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id personally recommend a 40 mm drop and 15
but to get compromise between handling/ride quality and style of wheels
40mm drop but with 16 inch alloys
and id also recommend a anti roll from a 1.6 sport/gsi

[Edited on 17-03-2009 by adz_gsi]
steven_r2008

17th Mar 09 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by harrisp
quote:
Originally posted by --ToM--

Wrong again, 60mm is not the best for handling.

well instead of just saying 60mm is not best for handling why dont you make a suggestion? and i dont see why not, without sittin it on its tits. my car is lowered 60mm and it handles great however i am going for fully adjust coilovers soon, and think it will be sat sub 70
--ToM--

17th Mar 09 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks steven no point saying evryones suggestions are shite and not backing it up with a better reply!! my corsa was 60mm all round and handled good i then dropped it to 80 90 mm on the front and 110mm on the back and it handled like it was on rails! never ever twitched once apart from takin a sharpish bend at 110 but that was expected lol
DaveyLC

17th Mar 09 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by steven_r2008

well instead of just saying 60mm is not best for handling why dont you make a suggestion? and i dont see why not, without sittin it on its tits. my car is lowered 60mm and it handles great however i am going for fully adjust coilovers soon, and think it will be sat sub 70

Its not all about being low.. If the car is too low the geometery of the suspession is all wrong.
cyber_killer

17th Mar 09 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well at least everyone agrees 15s. I will be getting ride some then think ill go 40mm due to ride quailty and the fact i wont be uprating dampers. Next questions are going to be on cheap performance mods, going to drill air box soon

thanks
ck
john_c20xe

17th Mar 09 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your goung to use standard dampers?
it wont handel at all on standard dampers mate! plus the fact ull feel sick
craig8
Premium Member

17th Mar 09 at 17:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had both 40mm and 60mm on the same car, same dampers and the 40mm handled a little better, but the ride quality was alot better

on standard dampers your wasting your time even mentioning handling

if you put up a budget then people wiold be able to help you out with what is probably going to be better for you

E36 328
Ste
Premium Member

17th Mar 09 at 21:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It isn't the size of the wheels or the height of your suspension at all.

It is about geometry and mass.

Firstly, the wheels. Lighter wheels will lower your unsprung weight. This is the weight of your wheels, hubs, wishbones and dampers, basically, all the bits that are not sat on the 'comfy' side of the suspension. Lowering this weight (technically it is 'mass' but i'm keeping this easy to understand) improves handling by reducing torque steer, reducing the likelyhood of under/oversteer and increasing wheel control in cornering.

Lowering a car has less effect on handling than increasing the stiffness of the springs, stiffness of the anti roll bars and damp rate of the dampers.

On initial turn in to a bend, the weight shift will push down on the outer corner, this is where a stiff damper is needed for the initial turn in. once in the bend, it is the stiffer spring, supporting the car that stops and further roll.
Roll is bad because as roll increases, positive camber increases. this had the effect of steering the car to the outside of the corner and inducing understeer.

If you want improved handling. Fit stiffer springs and dampers, lighter wheels, grippier tyres, and ensure you have your tracking set-up perfectly.
If you want to push the boat out then fit adjustable top mounts. you can then alter camber and castor and tune your suspension to your driving style/needs.

Lowering your car more than 60mm and thinking handling is improved is a load of bollocks. What you end up doing is reducing suspension travel so that in hard cornering, the springs or dampers bottom out and this in turn will put you in a spin due to unpredicted weight transfer.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
john_c20xe

17th Mar 09 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

unsprung wieght i did all that stuff in college usefull stuff to know
--ToM--

17th Mar 09 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

next time i adjust my coilovers ill bare all that in mind

interesting read though
chrex

17th Mar 09 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea, thats why putting it on its arse and making it rock solid destroys a car's capabilites. Is about the harmonics of the suspension. There has to be some give there to allow the absorption on shocks and weight movement throughout the bend too.

The spring and the damper have to work effectively to not only counter each other, but work with each other to give stability. Especially through a bend with a crap road surface.

If you have coilovers...it is worth having them set-up properly on a 4-corner rig, then you know they are spot on!

steven_r2008

18th Mar 09 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
quote:
Originally posted by steven_r2008

Its not all about being low.. If the car is too low the geometery of the suspession is all wrong.

im not saying its all about bein low mate , im just saying that it doesn't really answer what is in question when all someone is doing is saying that every bodys suggestions are wrong, without giving their own suggestion thats all

:edit: just read the latter bit of your comment and my comment you were refering to, and relised you were refering to the latter part. i still realise its not all about being low, however i am not going to be tracking my car nor am i going to be throwing it into corners fast enought on public highways for me to worry about that im going for better handling than standard and also looks. the sub 70 comment is all dependant on what i want and can manage when i get the coilovers, and also what my speedline 2's will allow, but i do appreciate what you are saying

[Edited on 18-03-2009 by steven_r2008]

New Poll