corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » port and polish?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author port and polish?
rbailey88

User status: Offline
4th Oct 09 at 09:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi people just wondering if anyone has any info or can help me with something. im having my c20xe engine rebuilt before fitting in my corsa sport, i am replacing all parts to make engine as fresh as possible but would like to have abit more work done to maybe get a little more power while its unfitted, the chap thats fitting it for me is going to port and polish the head after he's done the rebuild. im now wondering is there any porting and polishing that can be done to the inlet side or exhaust side of things? does anyone no if is it worth doing, and no of any other work that can be done to get most from engine or just for reliability

thanks in advance
JAYSCORSAC

4th Oct 09 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The inlet and exhaust i think theres some thing called port matching or some thing thats pose to help with better flow.
ofcorsacanbabe

4th Oct 09 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

isnt the matching thing where you take the gasket and match it up to the head, mark out the opening with engineers blue and then open up the ports accordingly then smooth out any obvious casting areas in the port itself, not sure you can do likewise with a cast iron manifold though. Leastways thats what we used to do on the old 'A' series engines on minis back in the day.
philip2

4th Oct 09 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just match to the gaskets, in theory you would roll pin the inlet to the head so that when you pull the inlet off the head it will always go back in the same place. you could also to the same with the EX manifold too, but unless building a mega spec motor, i wouldnt worry too much. the inlet is easy to match. the ex manifold tends to be larger than the ports when matched anyway, so doubt they would need touching
rbailey88

4th Oct 09 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks for the advice every1, do u no if any modification can be made to standard inlet for extra gains?
Richardhhha

4th Oct 09 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they can be re shaped to optemize gas flow, but tbh send it to philip2 and he'll port it (inlet & exhaust) cut down the valve guide and replace them if needed, he's been recomended by quite a few people on here to get head work done by.

my dad's trying to get in contact with a mate of his who builds high performance yank truck engines to posably get my head work done but if that falls through im taking it to phil
philip2

5th Oct 09 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cant do that much to the inlet, the designs shite. i think the later dispac inlets did have slightly larger ports though
rbailey88

5th Oct 09 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks for the pointers lads.

New Poll