corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Strange Laptop issues, freezing, fan not working...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Strange Laptop issues, freezing, fan not working...
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

User status: Offline
3rd Jan 10 at 13:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a Dell Latitude D510 laptop which seems to freeze randomly, memtest found no errors on the memory, reinstalled windows xp without any issues but since the install has been completed the laptop seems to freeze randomly and the only way to turn it off is to remove the battery... the laptop will run fine in Safe Mode which I find weird and the fan at the bottom doesn't spin at all which leads me to think that perhaps the laptop is overheating... last night I turned it off and removed the power lead and this morning it ran fine for all of 10 minutes then started being a complete cunt again.

Thoughts guys? any idea why it would run fine in Safe Mode? All the drivers I've installed are off the Dell Support website so I'm tempted to start removing them and see if that fixes anything but I wouldnt expect Dell to make such a fuckup?

If it wasnt for the safe mode thing I would go ahead and start removing screws to get to the fan and see if its fucked or not, not something I'm looking forward to

[Edited on 03-01-2010 by willay]
John

3rd Jan 10 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could be the graphics chip overheating possibly.

That wouldn't be used much in safe mode, could literally be anything though.

Start removing bits, even if memtest doesn't show any errors still try swapping memory about.
xa0s
Banned

3rd Jan 10 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd format it again and install the drivers one by one to see if it happens at any stage, you're lucky that it happens so quickly, I'm trying to resolve a issue with mine that only happens every 8 hours or so... That's a cunt!
willay
Premium Member

3rd Jan 10 at 14:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've also been trying to run applications to see the system temp but they won't work in safe mode funny enough

John - I'd expect more blue screens if it was related to the memory no?
John

3rd Jan 10 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably but I seen some wierd problems at my time at dell.

I've got an inspiron here with a dodgy memory slot but it works almost all the time.
willay
Premium Member

3rd Jan 10 at 14:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if the graphics chip is overheating, would you say that would be down to the system fan (visible under the laptop) not running at all? I'd expect the system fan to run at least for a minute on boot up before slowing down/stopping all together in normal operation?
pow
Premium Member

3rd Jan 10 at 14:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

NVIDIA or Intel William
John

3rd Jan 10 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fan should come on at full speed before slowing down after a couple of seconds.
pow
Premium Member

3rd Jan 10 at 14:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not always john john, my 630 is completely temp dictated

[Edited on 03-01-2010 by pow]
John

3rd Jan 10 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They should always come on a full for even just a second before spinning down to the temp controlled speed.
willay
Premium Member

3rd Jan 10 at 15:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

intel graphics and chipset, fan seems to be completely dead other than a little bit of movement at power up... i think that means the fan is buggered.

[Edited on 03-01-2010 by willay]
pow
Premium Member

3rd Jan 10 at 15:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dell diagnostics (F12 on boot then bottom, option) tests the fans
willay
Premium Member

3rd Jan 10 at 15:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

running it now! will report back.
willay
Premium Member

3rd Jan 10 at 15:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

passed all tests, but the diagnostic utility partition has been deleted so cannot go any further, no fans spinning or air is being exhausted.

New Poll