corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Linux Administrators

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Linux Administrators
xa0s
Banned

User status: Offline
7th Jul 10 at 02:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there anyone on here clued up with Linux to run a run/maintain/manage a stable server running lighttpd, MySQL and so on that would be interested in administrating a box for me for regular payment?

It's not much work, just the initial setup, a bit of training to do common tasks for me but the main thing is being on call pretty much 24/7 if anything goes wrong but I'm not a complete spastic, I can find out how to do most tasks myself but I just need confirmation that everything is secure, you know?

Oh and iptables experience is a must really. Need some rules written to block script kiddies flooding from single IP's and stuff.

Send me a PM if you're interested.
Wrighty

7th Jul 10 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

probably worth learning yourself if its not much work and if you do have a go just run it past someone on a forum that specializes in the OS you use. linux is widely used if you dont already know someone whos good with it, someone you know probably will.
xa0s
Banned

7th Jul 10 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thing is it requires 24/7 uptime, it took me a good 3 hours to resolve a Linux issue once which turned out to be simple but I have zero experience so every job is a big job. I need someone to run it whilst I learn basically.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

8th Jul 10 at 08:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interested, depends how much though as my time is limited.
Rob_Quads

8th Jul 10 at 08:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A lot will come down to how much you pay, what is required for that money. Do you expect them to be on call 24/7? How long an outage can you 'really' have. Is there a penalty if there is a longer outage?

You say that it needs 24/7 uptime. Do you have a backup if this is the case as no machine is 24/7. Its the only real way to gte 24/7 and even then you will have downtime unles you spend a lot of money
ENB

8th Jul 10 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could always use some sort of load balancing (like ultra monkey, which is free) seeing as it's so critical that it doesn't go down.

New Poll