corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Rough guide to tracking?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Rough guide to tracking?
Rich H

User status: Offline
11th Jul 10 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am tempted to remove the camber bolts on my Corsa to see if this rectifies the tracking issues I'm having.

The tracking is out with them on, so if I remove the bolts it'll be thrown out even more - to an extent I'm pretty sure it'll be undriveable

I'm not the most mechanically clued up person in the world, but how difficult is it to adjust things enough that the car will steer fairly straight (enough to drive 10 miles to get it tracked properly)

Cheers,

Rich
Generation

11th Jul 10 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm sure, you just count the number of tunrs on the bolt, and do same on the otherside as a rough guide?
Limecat
Banned

11th Jul 10 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Removing your camber bolts shouldn't affect your tracking!

More to the point, I recall you weren't happy with the handling so why remove them if it's not set up properly? :?
Rich H

11th Jul 10 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LETGSI16V

More to the point, I recall you weren't happy with the handling so why remove them if it's not set up properly? :?

Yeh I wasn't happy with the handling. Took it to the garage and it was found they had slipped and the tracking had moved again. The garage couldn't pin point exactly why. I t was fine with the bolts off so I'm looking at removing them and getting it retracked then it's only the camber that is out (and can't be adjusted as that's what the Bilstein B10 set up gives)

The car's up for sale, just want to make it more driveable so somebody can drive it away rather than look at trailering it! That way it's also worth more again as I'm convinced it's not fooked lol.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

11th Jul 10 at 13:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can line it up by eye. I used to get the steering lock to click on dead straight then tighten up the bolts whilst getting the hub as straight as poss on both sides. Can be done sometimes takes a couple of goes and will be good enough to drive to the garage.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
VegasPhil
Premium Member

11th Jul 10 at 13:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not fucked. Fit the standard bolts and it will be fine. Loads of cars on this board have used that setup.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Limecat
Banned

11th Jul 10 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rich H
quote:
Originally posted by LETGSI16V

Yeh I wasn't happy with the handling. Took it to the garage and it was found they had slipped and the tracking had moved again. The garage couldn't pin point exactly why. I t was fine with the bolts off so I'm looking at removing them and getting it retracked then it's only the camber that is out (and can't be adjusted as that's what the Bilstein B10 set up gives)

The car's up for sale, just want to make it more driveable so somebody can drive it away rather than look at trailering it! That way it's also worth more again as I'm convinced it's not fooked lol.

Just take them out then, you aren't touching the track rod ends so you aren't altering the tracking in anyway from what it is currently, furthermore you aren't altering the height (that alters tracking due to changing the angle the tie rod sits at!).
Rich H

11th Jul 10 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers. Proof that I don't know too much when it comes to mechanical sides of things! I know basics and that's it
Sean-B

11th Jul 10 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The camber bolts do affect the toe settings. The way they move the hub makes the wheel toe out as camber is decreased.

Have you torques them up to 55lbft rich?
Rich H

11th Jul 10 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh I was expecting the actual overall alignment to be out by quite a bit once I remove them as I had it all set as close to a standard Corsa setup once the bolts were fitted.

I haven't a clue what they've been done up to Sean as I didn't fit them - I left it all to a garage so they could do everything in one hit
john_c20xe

11th Jul 10 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you need a tracking gauge set up to set the tracking you will never get it right bye eye you will just scrubb your tyres out
Adam-D

11th Jul 10 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive done it with string..
Daveskater
Premium Member

12th Jul 10 at 12:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john_c20xe
you need a tracking gauge set up to set the tracking you will never get it right bye eye you will just scrubb your tyres out
For a permanent solution, yes, but he only wants it near enough so it cane be driven safely to the garage without ending up in every ditch on the way there.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
tomt08

12th Jul 10 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The camber bolts on mine have never slipped mate are they deffinatly fitted properly as the washer has a tab that gots into the hole to stop them slipping
Rich H

12th Jul 10 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Took the bolts off this afternoon - once a spanner was on them I could undo them with 1 finger

Off to see how driveable it is in a sec lol.
SamCorsaB

12th Jul 10 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

any news?
Rich H

12th Jul 10 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's worse. It now has both wheels pointing inwards so much it isn't moveable

Now need to find somebody who does mobile tracking or a tow truck to get it somewhere!

Sam - any news from you? Have been awaiting a reply!
SamCorsaB

12th Jul 10 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i really would love to buy it. pain in the arse for me. cant get a trailer... you say you live in the middle of nowhere and wouldnt advise taking it back the garage previously. 250 miles and tracking went out and its. 240 miles from me to you and wouldnt really want to risk it if it did go out on the way back. not fair
Rich H

12th Jul 10 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Price will be going up once it's driveable. Price is only as low as it is to reflect the fact it isn't driveable and allows the buyer funds to sort a means of moving it

I'm going to be spending more money and time on it again now anyway it seems
SamCorsaB

12th Jul 10 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

.....again

New Poll