corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Recovering files from broken external HDD?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Recovering files from broken external HDD?
A2H GO

User status: Offline
12th Aug 10 at 07:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

had this external HDD off eBay a couple of years ago, 'SUMOVISION', SATA or something like thats. Its got all our old holiday pics ect on it.

Plugged it in a couple of nights ago, the little LED flashes for a second then goes out, then nothing happens. If you put it to your ear you can hear a little 'creaking' then a little 'click' repeating very quickly asif its trying to spin or something and getting stuck.

Am i fooked?
Sam
Premium Member

12th Aug 10 at 07:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably. Try removing the actual drive and connecting it internally in your PC.
A2H GO

12th Aug 10 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
Probably. Try removing the actual drive and connecting it internally in your PC.

Ive taken the drive out the case, ill take some pics later but i can't see no other way to connect it other than the USB cable im currently using.
A2H GO

12th Aug 10 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is the hard drive without the case:

Theres a little hole with a sticker saying 'do not cover this hole' is that like a reset button or something?
Dom

12th Aug 10 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a 2.5" SATA drive, you just need to remove the PCB (and black connector) board from the back of the drive by lightly prising the black connection out of the SATA connectors on the drive. The drive will then have the standard SATA power and data connector that you can connect to your PC.

And no there is no 'reset' button on the drive.

If the drive is clicking then it's likely to be a mechanical issue, but do a search on here as a month or so ago someone else had similar issues and there was load of info about how to try and recover data from the drive.
This one - http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=565721
(there are a few other threads floating around about recovering data as well)

[Edited on 12-08-2010 by Dom]
A2H GO

13th Aug 10 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers dude. ill try all this tonight.
Sam
Premium Member

13th Aug 10 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got an iPod that did the clicking noise once upon a time. I smacked it with my hand a couple of times and it worked then!

I wouldn't try that unless you've exhausted all other methods of drive recovery though!
A2H GO

13th Aug 10 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
I've got an iPod that did the clicking noise once upon a time. I smacked it with my hand a couple of times and it worked then!

I wouldn't try that unless you've exhausted all other methods of drive recovery though!

Its currently in the freezer
Dom

13th Aug 10 at 23:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
quote:
Originally posted by Sam

You do realise that sticking it in the freezer isn't a permanent solution and that it's just a temporary fix (that might work) just to get the drive spinning again to give you enough time to either take an image of the drive or recover data off it?

And you have put it in a air tight bag? As moisture kills hard drives pretty quickly
Steve
Premium Member

14th Aug 10 at 02:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ipod has solid state memory so clicking wont be from a hdd
Sam
Premium Member

14th Aug 10 at 06:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't remember what generation HDD it is Steve but it's a really old one - has a monochrome screen.
Dom

14th Aug 10 at 08:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From what i remember Gen 5/6 iPods were the last to have HDDs, certainly my Gen 5 (iPod Video) has one,
A2H GO

14th Aug 10 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
quote:
Originally posted by Sam

You do realise that sticking it in the freezer isn't a permanent solution and that it's just a temporary fix (that might work) just to get the drive spinning again to give you enough time to either take an image of the drive or recover data off it?

And you have put it in a air tight bag? As moisture kills hard drives pretty quickly

Yes was in a tight bag, took it out this morning, quickly plugged it in, it still click for around 10 secs then stops clicking and the blue LED comes on but nothing happens. Cant see the HDD in device manager or computer management.
John

14th Aug 10 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should have connected it straight to a computer instead of via the usb case, if it started clicking straight away it probably wouldn't have mattered though.

New Poll