corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » head gasket

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author head gasket
8vcorsa

User status: Offline
31st Aug 10 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how would i know if the head gasket on my corsa has gone it hasnt got mayo on the filler cap and dip stick but the water is a dark browny colour and its smoking really bad but it had diesel put in the other week by my mate 10litres of diesel and more than 30litres of petrol
Robo C20Let

31st Aug 10 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the water should stay the same colour, are you getting smoke out the exhuast (white) or is the coolant bottle pressurising
combat corsa

31st Aug 10 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can get a test done in a garage
SnK

31st Aug 10 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Constant cold air coming though heaters. It'll drink coolant. Mayo under cap (although take for a long run and should go away). Loss of power to an extent. If in doubt take to a garage to get a compression test.

The smoke will just be the diesel getting burnt off. And possibly loss of power will be coming from the diesel.

[Edited on 31-08-2010 by SnK]
salam

31st Aug 10 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

turn your car on
then oper radiator water bottel cover and see if these bubbles..
pull the oil level test see if these any water on it
Root

31st Aug 10 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just change it, it costs £12
Terry12

31st Aug 10 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Root

The head gasket? I'm sure you've been flamed for saying HG replacement is cheap before.
8vcorsa

31st Aug 10 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SnK
Constant cold air coming though heaters. It'll drink coolant. Mayo under cap (although take for a long run and should go away). Loss of power to an extent. If in doubt take to a garage to get a compression test.

The smoke will just be the diesel getting burnt off. And possibly loss of power will be coming from the diesel.

[Edited on 31-08-2010 by SnK]
i think that its the diesel aswell in the fuel filter or something ill just wait for the head to properly go but it doesnt over heat like
Root

1st Sep 10 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Terry12
quote:

The head gasket? I'm sure you've been flamed for saying HG replacement is cheap before.

I have, the gasket alone costs £12. Bolts, idk. but not much
scottyp1989

1st Sep 10 at 09:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can do a HG change for about £30
8vcorsa

1st Sep 10 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think i will wait or the head to go then i will put a 2.0 16v redtop init orr something
Terry12

1st Sep 10 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by scottyp1989

Wouldn't hold out much hope of it lasting long though.
If he's having trouble with compression a skim would be wise and that alone would cost around £30.

A good HG swap with all bases covered would be around £100 in parts.

[Edited on 01-09-2010 by Terry12]
scottyp1989

1st Sep 10 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by scottyp1989

Wouldn't hold out much hope of it lasting long though.
If he's having trouble with compression a skim would be wise and that alone would cost around £30.

A good HG swap with all bases covered would be around £100 in parts.

[Edited on 01-09-2010 by Terry12]

why wouldnt you hold much hope for it? i done one on an engine for £30 2 years ago, the engine has been in 2 different cars since then with nothing but a general service since, and i know for a fact nothing else has been done as i see the chap who has the engine every day. you dont need to change water pump/cambelt/head bolts etc or get the head skimed unless its absouloutley nescesarry. i have done a couple more since that one aswell and only changed H/G and they to are fine, everyone worries to much about things like this. If it aint broke dont fix it.
8vcorsa

2nd Sep 10 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats the thing i dont know ill just wait for it to absolutly go and then put a redtop init iv allways said if the head goes onit a redtop is going init
Root

2nd Sep 10 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did a head gasket for £12. Literally changed the gasket, not even the bolts. Held on for thousands of miles and that wasn't the reason I got rid of my car, engine was still working.

Don't have to be an over-cautious nanny if you want cheap motoring
Terry12

2nd Sep 10 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well it's up to you if you want to be a cheap arse but any reputable engine builder will suggest changing the cambelt unless history of it is known. If the head bolts have been on for a long period, they should be changed as they're stretch bolts. £12-30 for a head gasket change is a bodge.

[Edited on 02-09-2010 by Terry12]
scottyp1989

2nd Sep 10 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Well it's up to you if you want to be a cheap arse but any reputable engine builder will suggest changing the cambelt unless history of it is known. If the head bolts have been on for a long period, they should be changed as they're stretch bolts. £12-30 for a head gasket change is a bodge.

[Edited on 02-09-2010 by Terry12] [/quote

LOL why is it a bodge? just because i havent changed cambelt/water pump etc dosent make it a bodge, if you want to go spending hundreds on a H/G change then fair enough but just because people say to change this and that dosent mean they have to be changed. like i said and so has Root, we have both done head gaskets for £30 or under, both engines are still going strong today, if we would have changed water pump etc at the same time the engine would still be the same as it is now, so i fail to see how it is a "bodge" as you say.

[Edited on 02-09-2010 by scottyp1989]
SnK

2nd Sep 10 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not a bodge, it's low cost basic engine rebuild + HG obviously.
It's all down to the preference of the persons car, and how much money he/she is willing to put in to it fixing.
Terry12

3rd Sep 10 at 02:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe bodge is the wrong word. It isn't the right way to do a HG change. If bolts have only been on a few thousand miles the yes they'll be reusable. If they're old bolts they should be changed as they are 'stretch' bolts. as I said earlier if somebody is having a problem with compression then a head skim should be done. You can do a straight HG swap on the cheap but to me that is a bodge and asking for trouble, especially on a performance engine. If you guys just slap a HG on a car then carry on. when i work on a car I make sure as best I can the repair will last, not keep running by good fortune. Especially when working on a customers car.
Terry12

3rd Sep 10 at 02:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SnK
It's not a bodge, it's low cost basic engine rebuild + HG obviously.
It's all down to the preference of the persons car, and how much money he/she is willing to put in to it fixing.

There's no such thing as a low cost engine rebuild. These things cost money. If someone is having issues telling them to just stick a HG on is poor advice. These guys haven't seen the engine in question. What if the head is warped/cracked/porous. The OP would then have spent the best part of a day for nothing as the new gasket will have been a waste of time!
scottyp1989

3rd Sep 10 at 07:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Maybe bodge is the wrong word. It isn't the right way to do a HG change. If bolts have only been on a few thousand miles the yes they'll be reusable. If they're old bolts they should be changed as they are 'stretch' bolts. as I said earlier if somebody is having a problem with compression then a head skim should be done. You can do a straight HG swap on the cheap but to me that is a bodge and asking for trouble, especially on a performance engine. If you guys just slap a HG on a car then carry on. when i work on a car I make sure as best I can the repair will last, not keep running by good fortune. Especially when working on a customers car.

totally agree with you when its a customers car and they are willing to pay to have all the work done, but when its someone that wants to spend now more than £100 (including labour) then you do what they want, as i have said iv changed only H/G a few times for people and one of my engines, the one of them being a 180bhp RST, ye not masive amounts of power but its still going strong to this day a year ish on.
Root

3rd Sep 10 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

it's not being a cheap 'arse', it's doing a cheap repair. Obviously useful if you didn't buy the car for much money and don't intend on keeping. Just running into the ground.
Terry12

3rd Sep 10 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

it's not being a cheap 'arse', it's doing a cheap repair. Obviously useful if you didn't buy the car for much money and don't intend on keeping. Just running into the ground.

It's hardly a cheap repair if you replace something that didn't need doing.
This is the second time i've seen you just replace the HG when someone has a an issue which doesn't sound like HG failure.

The guy's car is smoking which is possibly the diesel and the brown water will be rust from previous owners not using antifreeze.

A quick question for you.
When you stick your £12 HG on it's obvious you re-use head bolts, cam belt and waterpump. But what about the exhaust gaskets and coolant? Do you catch it in a bucket and re-use that?
Root

3rd Sep 10 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

It's hardly a cheap repair if you replace something that didn't need doing.
This is the second time i've seen you just replace the HG when someone has a an issue which doesn't sound like HG failure.

The guy's car is smoking which is possibly the diesel and the brown water will be rust from previous owners not using antifreeze.

A quick question for you.
When you stick your £12 HG on it's obvious you re-use head bolts, cam belt and waterpump. But what about the exhaust gaskets and coolant? Do you catch it in a bucket and re-use that?

I did not diagnose his problem, I said it is possible to do a cheap fix, just replacing a gasket and nothing else.

end.
And I didn't take the exhaust off there, I took it off further down the pipe because the bolts were seized on
8vcorsa

5th Sep 10 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah my exhaust is gettin changed to a 4branch manifold

New Poll