corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Crank sensor fault

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Crank sensor fault
jibjob

User status: Offline
7th Oct 10 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right basically my car cut out the other night and now refuses to start. I've changed the coil, dizzy, leads, plugs, king lead, ECU, re-wired it all and im still getting the same fault codes.
31 - crank sensor fault
37 - engine self diagnosis fault low voltage

Ive changed the crank sensor for 3 different ones and im still getting the same fault. The sensors are all second hand but all came off working engines. Is it worth spunking money on a new one for it to maybe not be that?

Anything else it could be?
jibjob

7th Oct 10 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right ive read that the positioning could be wrong so ive cleaned up all the faces and tried again and it still wont work.

Warren hinted it might not be the crank sensor so im trying to work out what else it could be but im out of ideas. The wirings all ok as ive checked both continuity and voltages from start to finish.

Cam sensor was also mentioned and it all looks ok and i have no fault code appearing for that so ive counted that out.

Any more ideas?
alan-g-w

7th Oct 10 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You've got an XE mate don't you? They throw up the crank sensor even if you fit a brand new part.
jibjob

7th Oct 10 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup. Any idea why it wont start then?
alan-g-w

7th Oct 10 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't get me wrong, it could well be the crank sensor. I'm not sure but looking at what you've done I'd just go around daft things like leads unplugged by mistake or something. But I bet you've been around it 100 times checking and re-checking so I can't help mate sorry. What's the other fault code realting to?
jibjob

7th Oct 10 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ye ive checked everything about 10 times now

The other code relates to a low voltage to the EML but it think thats just because of the connectors on the plugs in the footwell.
alan-g-w

7th Oct 10 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I'd fix that just purely for the fact it's something wrong - a good tip, don't look for new faults when there are ones you already know about. I know it's probably nothing to do with it not starting but it's something the old man's always saying to me and it's helped a couple of times.
jibjob

7th Oct 10 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ye id worry if i didnt have an EML at all or it was dim but its not. Ive checked the voltage on it and its only 11 volts so it will come up as low voltage but its nothing to worry about. Just running out of ideas as what else to try!

Ive gone from ecu, dash into the engine and followed and checked every wire, every earth and every connection. Ive checked all the fluids and they are fine. Ive checked the compression and its fine. Ive even checked theres nothing in the sensor hole and its fine.
alan-g-w

7th Oct 10 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What happens when you turn the key? I notice you've not mentioned anything about the fuel side of things as well...?
jibjob

7th Oct 10 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It turns over but doesnt spark like ive taken the HT leads off. Theres fuel the relay clicks and it pumps it out of the rail.
jibjob

7th Oct 10 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Forget that. Just found out the cambelt tensioners collapsed and pulled the belt all over the place
alan-g-w

7th Oct 10 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shite. Are you getting compression?
jibjob

7th Oct 10 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not checked Im going to whip the head off anyway and check and get the gasket and bolts done at the same time.
alan-g-w

7th Oct 10 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough, good luck with it mate.

New Poll