corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Progress on the Kitchen and Conservatory

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Progress on the Kitchen and Conservatory
Nismo

User status: Offline
24th Feb 11 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haven't posted in here for a while!

Towards the end of the summer last year i decided to rip up the old laminate in the kitchen and thought id give floor tailing a bash!

What started out as just tiling the kitchen then turned into the kitchen and conservatory and a bit more

This was how the floor was before:

So up that came, was pretty easy! good solid floor underneath!

The down with the new, hardest part was finding a starting point that was central to the arch and middle of the kitchen!

And finished and grouted (waiting for a polish so look a bit dull)

Havent actually got a picture of the conservatory before, it was just laminate as well, not very nice!

After taking it up i found it was chipboard underneath and insulation and look slike it was leaking at some stage!

This was going to be no good for tiling on as it was to soft and spongy! and your not meant to really tile on chip board as tiles absorb the moisture through and rot the chip board.

So removed all insulation back to the concrete base, Screwed down some supporting beams.

Reused the insulation and cut it back in, was like it was snowing downstairs for a week the stuff was everywhere

Then got some 8x4 sheets of Marine Ply for the tile base (luckily a mate was working on site where they had loads of it so got it all for £20 where as it would have been nearly 35 quid a sheet at wickes

I was rather chuffed with it at this stage seemed to nice to tile on

then cracked on with the tiling!

And then thats kinda where the plan changed, that was meant to be it

Decided that i wanted to make more use of the conservatory durring the whole year rather than just the summer months!

So started going at the wall with the grinder, this was fun

Mounted some speaker brackets at each end

Fished some electrics through

Shape was cut a specific way

Burried some trunking into the wall for all the AV cables

Fitted the TV on a canter-leave bracket so it can be pulled out and angled if need be and easy access to cables!

Then decided to give plastering a go

Then this where i had a further idea (should have really done all this before titling (what a mess lol)

We didnt actually need the kitchen window so out that came with a hack saw!

Filled the cavity with expanding foam and insulation then plasterboard and a bit more plastering!

Then fitted some new lights out there, you can also see the cable entry for the AV leads, coax going down for aerial.

Fittted trunking along the top for the AV cables, blends into the roof line so not noticed, fitted a power socket for the TV, hard wired it off a socket i put in for the tv, fed surround sound, HDMI in and foom for a few others if ever needed.

Tiled the rest of the window porch bit

The fitted a new rad with a much higher BTU to keep it nice and warm in the winter months! New skirting and also got a little cabinet to keep the Surround sound, DVD player and Media centre in.

At the other end we have our dining table so plenty of room out there, might migrate the PS3 down there at some stage! looking forward to the summer months when i can open up the double doors and crack open the beers and get the BBQ out with the tunes and everything

All in all im happy with it, only cost me the materials and i learnt a fair few new skills along the line
Simon

24th Feb 11 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Long as you can block the sunlight from being on the TV will be ace
Liam

24th Feb 11 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great job on the DIY, quite brave aswell!
Graham88

25th Feb 11 at 06:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That looks cool mate!
AndyKent

25th Feb 11 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks

I love how peoples confidence grows and the jobs just get bigger and bigger. Since moving into my place I've gone from not knowing how to do a good decoration job to pretty much decided to scrap and refit my whole kitchen
Conway563

25th Feb 11 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice work Nath
Fro

25th Feb 11 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't wait to have a house to tinker with

Good work
Jamie Walby

25th Feb 11 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What did you use to cut the tiles? We have Tommy Walsh Diamond Tile Cutter and its amazing! I wouldnt be without it!
Whittie

25th Feb 11 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks fab mate
noshua

25th Feb 11 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jesus, nice transformation. How long did it take you in total?

Is the black thing in the last picture the cabinet or a massive sub? If it's a cabinet, will it keep cool with all the equipment in?

I take it you fed the PS3 HDMI from another room?
Ben G

25th Feb 11 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

really nice job that.

never seen a ceiling light used on the wall though the circular one looks quite odd, but the new 5 job one looks nice.

good idea with the radiator in the conservatory. ours got so cold in winter and because it's open plan with the living room, we had to have the heating on constantly
danzx2

25th Feb 11 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice plastering. Want to do 8 ceilings round mine?
Nismo

25th Feb 11 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers guys! The benefit of learning to do stuff yourself means you never have to pay anyone

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Walby
What did you use to cut the tiles? We have Tommy Walsh Diamond Tile Cutter and its amazing! I wouldnt be without it!

I just bought a Wickes 900w water cooled tile cutter for £30, its spot on

quote:
Originally posted by noshua
Jesus, nice transformation. How long did it take you in total?

Is the black thing in the last picture the cabinet or a massive sub? If it's a cabinet, will it keep cool with all the equipment in?

I take it you fed the PS3 HDMI from another room?

Took me a few months as I could only work at the weekends, The black thing is a cabinet for the AV gear.

The PS3 has a HDMI going back to the cabinet, this was before the AV kit was fitted.

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G

never seen a ceiling light used on the wall though the circular one looks quite odd, but the new 5 job one looks nice.

good idea with the radiator in the conservatory. ours got so cold in winter and because it's open plan with the living room, we had to have the heating on constantly

Round one was fitted when we moved in, didnt really have a lot of options as there only 1 wall to fix anything to and the bar seemed the best option.

Ours used to get stupidly cold in the winter and as it was open plan to the kitchen it was a nightmare to heat up so swapped the 100BTU rad for a 6000 BTU one, made a lot of difference!

quote:
Originally posted by danzx2
Nice plastering. Want to do 8 ceilings round mine?

Sure thing, £35 per hour and i will take about 3/4 months to complete
Dan
Premium Member

25th Feb 11 at 19:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats the score with planning, a conservatory, no external doors between the house and conservatory, and having a rad connected to the main house?

I was under the impression you couldnt do any of it?

Im looking at adding a conservatory in the near future, so if you can do all this, and ive read it wrong ill be an even happier bunny!

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Dan
Premium Member

25th Feb 11 at 22:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Because adding a central heating system to a conservatory no longer means its a temporary structure.

I belive it can be done if it is independantly controlled and operated (isolation valves and trv's as a minimum)

Dan
Premium Member

25th Feb 11 at 22:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, the previous comment was deleted

Ben G

25th Feb 11 at 23:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you remove the external doors between the main living area and the conservatory then it can cause problems, but when we bought our place it was already open plan and we just said we were going to put doors up and the solicitor said that's fine.

can't be that strict as a house opposite us that's also up for sale have no doors and a big radiator in the conservatory.
Jake

27th Feb 11 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats the tiles like on that floorboard? i cant see the grout staying in one piece for very long mate you should have tiled straight on concrete but i suppose you would have a step down then
deano87

27th Feb 11 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fro-dizzle
Can't wait to have a house to tinker with

Good work
AndyKent

27th Feb 11 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan
Whats the score with planning, a conservatory, no external doors between the house and conservatory, and having a rad connected to the main house?

I was under the impression you couldnt do any of it?

Im looking at adding a conservatory in the near future, so if you can do all this, and ive read it wrong ill be an even happier bunny!

Planning isn't that much of a problem, its building regs.

If you create a habitable room (ie. one that has heating) then you have to meet the insulation performance parts of the building regs. That means insulating walls, high performance glass, roof insulation. Getting that lot sorted on a proper conservatory = ££££

You can just do it anyway but it might be flagged up when you come to sell. A lot of people won't care, but your solicitor might.
Nath

27th Feb 11 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lovely job
andys sxi
Premium Member

27th Feb 11 at 17:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the floor should be alrite as long as its solid and no movment the only thing i would have done is stagger the boards instead of having the joints all in one line but other wise looks a good job

April 08 feature car
Tomnova16
Premium Member

28th Feb 11 at 13:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i need a house

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Robbo

28th Feb 11 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nismole you little jack of all trades you Looks coolios

New Poll