corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Fast road cams?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Fast road cams?
Corsa_Scotty

User status: Offline
8th Sep 11 at 01:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello Guys. Im fitting another X14XE in to my car but was thinking about fitting a set of fast road cams whilst its out. I had a look on Autosprints website and they list a few different specifications which im not too sure on. Im not wanting to go crazy with the engine the only mods it will have other than the cams is a VX inlet manifold an 4-2-1 exhaust manifold so i need a kit which will run on standard management. So far ive seen 245degree- Hydraulic - Standard Injection and they also list 256degree ones too but doesnt list anything about standard injection. Can anyone shed any light on these and what i need to fit them? Cheers Scott

[Edited on 08-09-2011 by Corsa_Scotty]
ffls

8th Sep 11 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

preferably you need a remap or chip to get the most from them.
They also don't say nothing about the lift...
And better change the valve springs for new ones if you don't want the valves hitting a piston because they are tired. IT happened to me, 4th piston broken in 1000 pieces
philip2

8th Sep 11 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that coment about changing springs is aload of bollox...what spec/lift were the cams? standard springs even though done quite alot of miles by now are still good to run about 10.5/11mm lift before needed heavy duty singles or even double springs. the one area to change are the valve spring tops as they DO split in 2 even on standard engines.
Corsa_Scotty

8th Sep 11 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh ive heard mixed story's about the valve springs so wasnt sure on what to do. I would be planning a chip once its all done anyway so thats not a problem. Just struggling to choose between the 245degree ones and the 256degree's but as you say it doesnt list anything about the lift
ffls

8th Sep 11 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by philip2
that coment about changing springs is aload of bollox...what spec/lift were the cams? standard springs even though done quite alot of miles by now are still good to run about 10.5/11mm lift before needed heavy duty singles or even double springs. the one area to change are the valve spring tops as they DO split in 2 even on standard engines.

But mine were worn after 70k of driving many times till 7200rpm. My cams were standard
A 11mm lift cam without pocketing the is asking for trouble.
And for a 10mm lift cam Dbilas advise different springs then standard ones
corsadonk
Premium Member

8th Sep 11 at 18:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Speak to Geoff at Autosprint, he is very helpful and knows the speck of the stuff he sells.

I would leave the standard cams, and go for piggy back ECU, like Uni-chip. Make the most of the bolt on mods you've already got.
Corsa_Scotty

8th Sep 11 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was just thinking for further in to the future as i was planning to go for carbs or throttle bodies so thought i'd be best off adding cams and then a decent management to go with it once the carbs are on?

[Edited on 08-09-2011 by Corsa_Scotty]
philip2

8th Sep 11 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i could supply some newman 260cams, run about 9.5mm on stock pockets(have to check website to confirm though - valve lift i mean)

talk with engine builders matey...not companies they will sell you anything they think you will need. standard 20xe springs will take 11mm lift before they suffer from coilbind...i didnt say you could run 11mm lift on stock pocket pistons and be ok...you would have to do a dummy build and check

the standard springs will work with a 270duration cam with about 10.5mm lift but would need to change the spring retainers for definate as been known to split on standard engines quite alot.

im breaking my c16xe if were after proper parts...omega pistons, steel rods, catcam double springs, steel retainers, bike carbs, sbd manifold etc. or look at the cheaper option or arp rod bolts and getting the standard pistons pocketed a further 2mm and could run some 288s with 10.6mm lift and be ok.

donk...as said before...geoffs spring retainers are no good...ive had a failure and i know a few others too. hes a sound bloke but some of the parts id be weary of.

i typically only use piper double springs and caps in any of the 20xe/lets i build, so far so good

[Edited on 08-09-2011 by philip2]
Corsa_Scotty

8th Sep 11 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What sort of price do the newman 260's come in at mate? and also can they run on standard springs?
Alex_Rally

8th Sep 11 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

philip doesnt it weaken the piston if u pocket it tho ??
what sort of prices are u selling ya c16xe bits for ?
Corsa_Scotty

8th Sep 11 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

His bits and pieces are in here mate

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=614617
matthew H

8th Sep 11 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

email this guy for advice http://billfalconer.webs.com/
Corsa_Scotty

8th Sep 11 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He's about 40 miles away from me mate so might give him a shout
Alex_Rally

8th Sep 11 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good website that matthew
philip2

9th Sep 11 at 09:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

goos site, but id be abit dubious about the power figures hes claiming for wet sump apps tbh.

geordie..what bits would you be interested in?

the problem with pocketing is they can weaken very slightly, but the biggest problem usually is heat problems tbh. but its the differance between £80 to machine stock pistons and £450 for some forged pistons and £100 for overbore.
Alex_Rally

9th Sep 11 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the big cams and the omega pistons mate, and poss springs
philip2

9th Sep 11 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You would need the rods to go with the pistons matey, open to sensible offers, but give u idea on what I paid; pistons 450, rods 300, cams 330, and springs I'd have to see what they were can't find receiptn but if go on catcams website there the 'gold' series race double springs.
john_c20xe

10th Sep 11 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ffls
preferably you need a remap or chip to get the most from them.
They also don't say nothing about the lift...
And better change the valve springs for new ones if you don't want the valves hitting a piston because they are tired. IT happened to me, 4th piston broken in 1000 pieces

rubbish! how can worn springs make the valves hit to pistons? and ive never ever seen a pistons brake into pieces let alone 1000 pieces! think someone is telling porkeys
ffls

10th Sep 11 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Man what about the valves not recovering an hitting the piston?

And about the piston you can believe in what you want, I didn't count the pieces of it, many were welded to the combustion chamber and the mechanic who then made my new motor said he never saw nothing like that. I have no photo to prove it but you can believe in what you want
philip2

10th Sep 11 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can get valve bounce from revving too high to weaken the spring or too high lift cam for the springs...done well to twat a piston to bits from just a weak spring if drivin within spec, sure you didn't frop valve due to over revving on down change?
john_c20xe

10th Sep 11 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's what it sounds like to me I've seen it done when someone has chosen 3rd instead of 5th and the cambelt slipped teeth and don't some damage but was only minimal markings on the pistons
john_c20xe

10th Sep 11 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've also seen a ford focus piston with a valve lodged in it from and inexperienced mechanic changing the cambelt and starting it with out turning it over by hand. Ended up having a replacement engine due to the damage the valve done to the head and piston
ffls

10th Sep 11 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well the car had 80k, x14xe at the time with a powerbox, standard cams, and rev limiter of 7500rpm.
I was chasing a friend trough some corner on third gear at 7000-7200 rpm when suddenly I listened to the sound of a "crystal glass broking" and end of the game
philip2

10th Sep 11 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds abit like valve bonuce or very unlucky as stock springs aren't to bad tbh
john_c20xe

11th Sep 11 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dout you would have herd it tbh as its the cylinder is inclosed in thick metal unless it threw the rod out the block

New Poll