corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Removing steering wheel?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Removing steering wheel?
Jamie-C

User status: Offline
18th Nov 11 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've never seen a steering wheel this tight before! Tried all the pulling hitting it with a hammer etc which didn't work.
Ordered a puller which isn't working either. its just eating into the back off the wheel instead of pulling it

Any one got any ideas? Might end up having to change the whole column at this rate
Kieran
Premium Member

18th Nov 11 at 15:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haha, I had the exact problem. I had to change the whole steering shaft, was a fucking nightmare! It's like the steering wheel was welded on lol. Only think you can do really mate. I tried every thing possible over about a week period. Lol
XE Col
Premium Member

18th Nov 11 at 18:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Took the nut off the middle?

Jamie-C

18th Nov 11 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes the nut is off , but that's what its like, as if the nut is on, if I was to keep tightening the puller it would just keep digging in until it came right through. I'm going to try a few things tomorrow, if not looks like a new column will be needed!
Alex_Rally

19th Nov 11 at 06:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

loosen nut off but keep a couple threads on so it doesnt fly off. get a blow torch on the fucker then hit it with a extension bar and hammer when hot. mine wouldnt come off easy like had to give the old girl some greef first lol
Alex_Rally

19th Nov 11 at 06:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

loosen nut off but keep a couple threads on so it doesnt fly off. get a blow torch on the fucker then hit it with a extension bar and hammer when hot. mine wouldnt come off easy like had to give the old girl some greef first lol
Jamie-C

19th Nov 11 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuck this shit Got to nuts in behind there so it wasn't pulling on the actual wheel it self, but on the nuts instead, would've worked a treat except the fucking puller snapped How the fuck is it so tight

Geordies idea is next
Matty W

19th Nov 11 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Soak the shaft in wd40, leave it a few hours and go back to it later
Jamie-C

19th Nov 11 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would but I've got no puller now If Geordies way doesn't work I'm just going to change the whole column.
Jamie-C

20th Nov 11 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finally got the fucker off today, took the 2 legs out of the puller and put 2 long bolts through, put them through the wheel then 2 nuts on the back. Worked a treat, for some reason they didn't eat into the wheel like the proper legs Think it might be because there covering a larger area?

Anyway, might be useful for someone later on

AlexW

21st Nov 11 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jamie can you post a pic of what the old legs were like?

Jamie-C

21st Nov 11 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New Poll