corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 98 1.0 12v Radiator Fan Issue

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 98 1.0 12v Radiator Fan Issue
furkick

User status: Offline
26th Nov 11 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello
My car is a naf 1.0 12v X10XE engine 1998 Reg

Right yesterday i was driving in bumper to bumper traffic for around 30 mins and my cars temp reading was pretty much off the red mark 105+ steam came from the engine. So i pulled over and let it cool. Anyway this nearly happened before, i used to have a 1.2 8v corsa and the fan would cut in around 97, yet with this one the fan has never come on.

Any ideas what i can do to fix this problem, also to add the hot blowers inside the car work, so im guessing not a rad fault.

Many Thanks Chris
Jamie-C

26th Nov 11 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fan switch. They go all the time. Can get a new one at your local motor factors or Vaux, don't cost much.

furkick

26th Nov 11 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks, ill try that on monday.

Also my haynes manual states to bridge the two contacts on the wiring plug from the cooling fan switch and turn on ignition to check if the fan works at all. What exactly do they mean by bridge?? Sorry im a a dumbass when it comes to cars
Jamie-C

26th Nov 11 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't be sorry, only way to learn is by asking , when they say bridge they mean join the 2 pins together with a piece of wire basicly.

Pull the plug off, theres 2 pins, get a bit of wire and join it too both the pins, if your fan doesn't come on its fucked. If it does come on then you'll need a new fan switch.
Jed D

26th Nov 11 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had the same problem on mine... if your stuck in that situation best thing to do would be to put your heaters in the car on full wack to draw a bit of the heat away and hope the traffic dies down quick

i got a new gm fan switch on mine and it still didnt work, then checked the fan worked and it did, then checked i had the right voltage with a multimeter, then changed the temp sensor... i was baffled by it

in the end i got another rear fog switch, put it were the gsi's have the front fog switch and ran the wires (fused) to the fan under the scuttle. now i just switch it on when it gets too hot and back off again, maual fan atw

also if the fan switch is in the radiator (i imagine it is on them) your coolant will drain out when you remove it
furkick

27th Nov 11 at 09:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks ill try shorting it tomorrow, So i take the plug going to the fan switch off, take a piece of wire and join the pins on the plug or the fan switch?

Yeah i was thinking manual switch but how do you fit a new switch on the drivers side do you have to take the dash apart? :S
Jed D

27th Nov 11 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no, you know where your rear fog light switch is...? wey they'll be a blanked one above it (where gsi's have the front fog switch).. pull that blanking little bit of square plastic out and just clip in another fog switch from a scrapper or something... run the wires (fused) to the batt and fan job done

New Poll