corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Wireless network nerds in here

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wireless network nerds in here
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
28th Nov 11 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So I have bought a couple of these and after about half a day of setting it up thanks to the shit router setup/broken English instructions I have now got them both connected via WDS.

the background

I have disabled the WLAN on my Sky router, so the only wireless that is enabled is the one on those Tenda routers.

Set it all up as follows:

192.168.0.1 = Sky router (downstairs) - DHCP enabled, subnet is 192.168.0.4 - 192.168.0.254
192.168.0.2 = Tenda router (downstairs) - DHCP disabled, WDS set to "lazy" mode
192.168.0.3 = Tenda router (upstairs) - DHCP disabled, WDS set to "repeater" mode

Both Tenda routers are set to the same WLAN channels (6 + 2), both set to TKIP/AES security, and both have the same SSID.

the problem

According to inSSIDer, the downstairs router is broadcasting up to 54Mbps but the upstairs one (which has the ethernet cable attached to it from the Sky router) is broadcasting up to 300Mbps.

Why would this be? Both are set to 11b/g/n mixed mode? Is one of them supposed to run slower or something?

I noticed in the settings there are "mixed" and "green field" operating modes, with mixed being selected on both routers - WTF is that?

[Edited on 28-11-2011 by Sam]
PhilC

28th Nov 11 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit confused...

You have a cable running from upstairs to downstairs? Sky router downstairs, but the WAP upstairs has the cable connected to it?
Sam
Premium Member

28th Nov 11 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I ran an ethernet cable upstairs when we moved in (a few months ago) and that was connected to a switch - the other end of course being connected downstairs to the Sky router.
John

28th Nov 11 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure what you are trying to achieve Sam?

Why not have wifi turned on with the sky router and the one upstairs just set up as an access point?
Sam
Premium Member

28th Nov 11 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wanted only one SSID in the whole house so that I don't have to keep changing which router I am connected to - with this WDS method I only have to worry about the one.

I originally used my old Netgear router to piggyback onto the new Sky router but I got annoyed at having to change which router I connected to if I was wandering around the house with my iPhone for example.
John

28th Nov 11 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You shouldn't have to?

Set everything up with the same ssid on different channels and it'll just connect to the strongest one, nothing fancy.
Sam
Premium Member

28th Nov 11 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did do this at first funnily enough, but it didn't seem to work properly for some reason?
John

28th Nov 11 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's exactly the way I've got it set up and have elsewhere because everybody has a spare router these days.
Sam
Premium Member

28th Nov 11 at 22:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That aside, I also wanted an excuse to get stronger wireless here anyway - the Netgear is 150, the Sky router is 54, whereas these two Tenda routers are 300.
John

28th Nov 11 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Use them set up as just access points without the wds then.
Sam
Premium Member

28th Nov 11 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know I could do that, but I just don't get why the one downstairs is only running at 54 yet the one up here is 300?

I thought at first it might have had something to do with the Sky router but then I remembered that the wireless is disabled on that.

I have actually looked at the settings for both routers in two different tabs in Chrome and they are identical bar MAC addresses. Proper stumped here!

[Edited on 28-11-2011 by Sam]
Sam
Premium Member

28th Nov 11 at 23:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fixed it.

I just changed the channel from 6 to 1 for both routers, and now inSSIDer reports that both of them are broadcasting at 300.

New Poll