corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » laptop charging problem

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author laptop charging problem
alan t

User status: Offline
30th Oct 11 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a accer laptop but it wont charge up. Ithought it was the charger at fault at first as the led lights up on the charger but as soon as i plug it into my laptop the led goes out and doesnt charge the laptop. Ive tried another accer charger and it does exactly the same with that, also when i tried my charger with another laptop it worked fine.

so im assuming the fault is with the port the charger connects into, can these be replaced or is that part of the motherboard? or if anyone knows if its something else causing the problem then any help would be much appreciated.

i would take it to a shop to get checked but im out of work at the moment and money is tight thats why im asking on here first.

cheerfolks
_Allan_

30th Oct 11 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quite a lot of laptop DC jacks can be desoldered from the board and replaced.

eg:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACER-ASPIRE-5332-DC-JACK-POWER-PORT-SOCKET-CONNECTOR-/270608949030?pt=UK_Computing_Laptop_Accessories_LaptopCables_Connectors&hash=item3f018cdf26

Just need the model number, or compare the jack to yours and know someone handy with a soldering iron
Sam
Premium Member

31st Oct 11 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Definitely sounds like the DC jack is fucked.

There's a place I send laptops off to have these sort of things repaired (as IMO it needs to be done properly) but it costs £100 inc. VAT and P&P both ways.

You could replace the motherboard with a secondhand one off eBay but they aren't cheap and you'll eventually end up with the same problem anyway so good for a short term fix, but a false economy if you want to keep the laptop.

I would probably suggest either stripping the laptop/selling it as a whole as spares/repairs on eBay and buying yourself a secondhand one (or a desktop PC) if money's tight.
johnhara1

31st Oct 11 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I re-soldered the original port on my acer travelmate 220 and it failed after about 3 months but i swear that was only because my girlfriend would always forget to unplug the charger and she'd end up dragging it around the house!

Cheapest, shittest solder wire and soldering iron from pound shop as i was living in sydney australia, labouring for work and the local pc shop wanted about $300 so i wouldn't pay.

It's quite easy, i used a youtube video as i couldn't solder
alan t

20th Jan 12 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks for the advice people, ment to update this ages ago.

i got a new port soldered on but it still does the same. is there anything else it could be? ive been using my dads computer lately but would like to get mines fixed, cheers folks
alan t

20th Jan 12 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aspire 5738Z thats the model number if its any help
adiohead

20th Jan 12 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

remove the ac cable, remove battery, hold power key down for 20 secs, replace battery, replace ac lead and not use for 8hrs.
alan t

20th Jan 12 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i seen that on yahoo answers, just trying that now. ive emailed acer technical desk as well to ask them. tbh i think i will just have to buy a new one but was worthwhile asking just incase it could be a easy fix
alan t

21st Jan 12 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive tried leaving it for 8 hours but still the same lol

New Poll