corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Big brakes.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Big brakes.
*CorsaCal*

User status: Offline
19th Mar 12 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi i have a 1996 corsa sport 1.4 16v and am looking at upgrading my brakes.

I was wondering what was involved in fitting bigger brakes to my car, do the calipers simply bolt on or do you need to replace the hub assembly or is it a case of getting a bracket made up? Does anyone know of a thread showing this?

Also i was wondering what the difference between the V6 and 2ltr brakes are if any and which would you recommend if they are different?

Cheers in advance.
Danny W
Organiser: East Midlands
Premium Member

19th Mar 12 at 20:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi Cal, I've used both 2.0 & V6 in the past both much better than standard but I preferred the 2.0's if I'm honest with a decent set of disks & pads.
They both bolt straight on to replace the corsa calipers & disks, I found the v6 brakes to have a spongey feel on the footbrake due to the corsa master cylinder mot coping aswell.

[Edit] a good tutorial for brake conversions can be found here : http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=219303

[Edited on 19-03-2012 by Danny W]

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
*CorsaCal*

19th Mar 12 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok thanks i think i will have a look on ebay etc for some 2ltr brakes. Ive seen the thread on this but the pics seem to be corrupted do you know of one showing pics.
Cheers.
corsadonk
Premium Member

19th Mar 12 at 20:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The brake swap is pretty easy, just bolt it, then fit the new brakes. Once it's infront of you you'll be able to see.

I would change the fluid for nice fresh stuff, along with a set of new braided hoses. I only thing that can be a pain is, the bleed nipples on the rear cylinders tend to snap, because most of them haven't had the fluid changed.
*CorsaCal*

19th Mar 12 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok thank you corsadonk i will do that.
Cheers.
Tony M84

19th Mar 12 at 23:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If running big power and want big brakes at a budget price then the Calibra/Cavalier turbo brakes are best.
Dean_W

20th Mar 12 at 00:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Danny W
I found the v6 brakes to have a spongey feel on the footbrake due to the corsa master cylinder mot coping aswell.

Agree with the 2.0 brakes being a better choice.

But......I didn't find the V6's spongy, they just seemed to have more pedal travel before they bit.

New Poll