corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Android Jelly Bean

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Android Jelly Bean
Dom

User status: Offline
29th Jun 12 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has anyone been watching the Google Keynotes on Android (HERE)?

ICS was a pretty big improvement but Jelly Bean looks like it'll be even better. Loads of decent features and improvements like Offline Voice Input, Camera App and the Notifications (appears to be vastly better than offerings from other mobile OS's).
The new intelligent information/'Google Now' feature also looks to be handy, certainly the public transport information ie: tells you the next bus or train using current location etc.

Improved Voice Search (aka Android's Siri) looks decent although i think the text to speech engine sounds a bit naff in comparison (no doubt they'll improve on it on next releases). Also be interesting to see how it works in the real-world, Siri certainly had it issues (limited access to data outside the US etc) so i suspect there will be issues with this.

Still, it looks like it'll be an epic release!

Edit - Bit of a roundup on Engadget.

[Edited on 29-06-2012 by Dom]
John

29th Jun 12 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been keeping an eye on it, still tempted, wish somebody would bring out a phone that has it that I want to buy.
Dom

29th Jun 12 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
I've been keeping an eye on it, still tempted, wish somebody would bring out a phone that has it that I want to buy.

A month until the Nexus see's the update and i don't think it'll be long after until we see it on other devices. Tbf they were handing out S3's to I/O attendee's, so i wouldn't be surprised if someone manages to get a ROM compiled.
Reecemac

29th Jun 12 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its on the S3 now but fuck all works, I could imagine it'll be working soon. I must admit though I'v always preferred the plain android rom instead of the crap companys but on top but Samsungs nature ui on the S3 is really brilliant, I flashed cm9 on it but went back after a couple days.
ed

29th Jun 12 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why do Google work so hard to make a great mobile o/s only to allow Samsung to bastardise it so much. Surely if Samsung think they know best they can build their own o/s.

[Edited on 29-06-2012 by ed]
John

29th Jun 12 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by John

A month until the Nexus see's the update and i don't think it'll be long after until we see it on other devices. Tbf they were handing out S3's to I/O attendee's, so i wouldn't be surprised if someone manages to get a ROM compiled.

S3 too big, what I meant really is I wish someone would bring out a phone I want to swap my iPhone for.
Rob_Quads

30th Jun 12 at 08:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It will be interesting to see how good to their word Google is. At the 4.0 announcement they said they have full support from the manufacturers to streamline all future releases.

So lets see how long it takes for all the 4.0 phones to get official updates??
(We'll ignore the other 92% of android devices not even on 4.0 yet)
John

30th Jun 12 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure how much control they'll actually have over it, unless they done an apple and told manufacturers and networks it's coming out like this, that's it, they'll always want to stick their bit in.

The other thing is testing, how many phones does it have to work with, hundreds maybe?
LeeM

30th Jun 12 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats with the shit names all the time?
Gary
Premium Member

30th Jun 12 at 13:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

S3 too big? I personally don't think so. Its an epkc phone imo, miles better than an iphone.
Rob_Quads

30th Jun 12 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No-one is surely going to install 4.1 with it not being a supported platform for Flash. Every needs flash don't they???

...or maybe not lol.
Gary
Premium Member

30th Jun 12 at 16:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use sits with flash a lot. Most embedded video players are flash. Plus I can veiw youtbe videos that arnt available on mobile
AlunJ

30th Jun 12 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM

Since android 1.5 (cupcake) they're all named in alphabetical order with desserts/sweets, the earlier versions being named astro and bender.
Dom

1st Jul 12 at 07:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rob_Quads - What's the deal with Flash on JB? Are you still able to install Flash?

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM

What's with Apple's obsession with cats?
Rob_Quads

1st Jul 12 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you can still install it if you want although Adobe are recommending AGAINST it as its not a supported platform (and will never be from now on) i.e. there is nothing to say how it will perform/crash
Dom

1st Jul 12 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interesting comparison between Siri and Google's Voice Search http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDsOtdRtG0Q. I thought the voice sounded a bit robotic in the keynotes but it's light and day here, certainly sounds a lot better than Siri.
Still, both OS's are pre-released/betas and i suspect Apple will be working hard to improve Siri.

Rob_Quads - Seems a bit crap Adobe stopping support, guess we'll have to wait and see what Flash is like on JB.
Eddx14xe

1st Jul 12 at 09:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
S3 too big? I personally don't think so. Its an epkc phone imo, miles better than an iphone.

I've had my S3 for about two weeks now and it's the perfect size imo. Easy to type on, big screen for web pages etc. I used my bros Sony Ericsson yesterday to send a text and the screen was tiny, it took me a while to send the message.
Nath

12th Jul 12 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just got this on my Nexus. It's made a quick phone even quicker! Haven't scratched the surface yet but I am liking how quick and smooth everything is.

New Poll