corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » help me! need to recover data from a knackered hard drive

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author help me! need to recover data from a knackered hard drive
LeeM

User status: Offline
1st Oct 12 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in my macbook ive put an ssd in the original place and the 500gb hdd in the disc drive with an optibay thing.
restarted the laptop once, and when it came back it said the disk couldnt initialise. ive took it out and it wont connect either if i plug it in with a usb/sata cable.

is there any way to get the data off? if i go to disc utility it shows up as an apple 500gb drive but wont mount, ad wont repair.
Dom

1st Oct 12 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try a linux live CD, something like Ubuntu, as most of them are capable of mounting HFS/+ drives. Failing that, try recovery software - Stellar Data Recovery, FileSalvage or Data Rescue (been recommended all three in the past, never had to any of them touch wood though).
Wrighty

1st Oct 12 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could try a cd bootable version of an OS, as said like ubuntu.

You could take the drive out and slave it from another machine using a USB recovery kit thing

failing that its fubard, and you should have backed it up before pissing about with it
LeeM

1st Oct 12 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry, the computer works fine the os is on the sad, the 500gb is for files like movies etc.
Dom

1st Oct 12 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Live CD
Recovery Software
Failing that, and depending on how important the data is, get a recovery company to have a look at it but prepare to pay a fair old wack if it's professionally done.

As Wrighty said though, you should have a backup plan in place if it's important data - BackBlaze is a couple a quid a month for unlimited (FUP applies) storage, well worth having.
LeeM

1st Oct 12 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its just a load of movies and music, nothing really important, but id like it back. paying for it seems ironic
Dom

1st Oct 12 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
its just a load of movies and music, nothing really important, but id like it back. paying for it seems ironic

Live CD and Recovery software then. Obviously you're going to need storage to recover the data to.
LeeM

1st Oct 12 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats live CD? ive got another 500gb external drive ill use that
Wrighty

1st Oct 12 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.usbnow.co.uk/p52/USB_2.0_IDE_&_SATA_Cable_%28with_Power_Supply%29/product_info.html?gclid=CJGb2MHb4LICFRPLtAodwG8AtA

???
Dom

1st Oct 12 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty
http://www.usbnow.co.uk/p52/USB_2.0_IDE_&_SATA_Cable_%28with_Power_Supply%29/product_info.html?gclid=CJGb2MHb4LICFRPLtAodwG8AtA

???

eh?

Lee - Visit the Ubuntu site, download the Live CD iso, burn to CD, stick it and boot. Gives you a running copy of Ubuntu, if the drive isn't fubar'd then it'll mount and you should be able to access and copy your data.
LeeM

1st Oct 12 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so ubuntu will read the drive even if osx and windows wont?
will i be ok with the hdd attached via usb? i dont have a disc drive in the laptop at the moment so i'll have to stick it back in.
had nothing but trouble using 2 drives in the bloody thing so im getting a 512gb ssd
Dom

2nd Oct 12 at 07:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, Ubuntu should be able to read from the disk. You might not have write access to it though. Obviously there's no 100% guarantee this will work though.

If you do recovery of the disk then personally i'd have the drive connected to the system, as you can have problems with the SATA-USB bridge, but for Ubuntu it should be fine.

And if you've been having problems with the drive, then it sounds like it could be borked - has the drive been making any dodgy/clicking noises?

Oh, and whilst the drive is out, make note of the serial number and check to see if there is any warranty left.
LeeM

2nd Oct 12 at 07:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the drive is only 2 months old, but i cant plug it in to the motherboard directy because its taking up the space of the cd drive which ill need to plug back in to boot an os.
Dom

2nd Oct 12 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can 'burn' the live cd image to a USB flash stick if that makes things easier - Google for instructions though.
And to change Bootup preferences - http://askubuntu.com/questions/71189/how-do-i-boot-the-live-cd-on-a-macbook-pro

As you say though it could be an issue with the drive using the optical connection on Mac, so it might be worth testing the drive in a USB caddy anyway, you never know, it might show up on OSX.
Similarly if you have access to a PC, then stick it in that and see if it detects it, just to rule out issues with the mac and drive. If you need access to the file system on Windows then use something like TransMac, MacDrive, HFSExplorer (free, only read access though), HFS for Windows etc.
LeeM

2nd Oct 12 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive plugged it in via a usb adapter to both my mac and a windows laptop, recognises it but cant read it.
i ran file salvage and it can find the files but then i cant recover them without paying.
Dom

2nd Oct 12 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On OSX does it mount when using the USB adaptor?

And under windows you'll need to use one of the HFS apps to get read/write access to the drive. If you can back up to another drive then use HFSExplorer as it's free and will give you read access.

Most of the software i've listed need a license unfortunately but if you know where to look then you can nab.
LeeM

2nd Oct 12 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so hfse explorer runs on windows and will back up the dodgy drive to another usb drive?
Dom

2nd Oct 12 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
so hfse explorer runs on windows and will back up the dodgy drive to another usb drive?

It'll give you read access to the HFS+ drive, that's if the drives filesystem is intact.
LeeM

2nd Oct 12 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have no idea what that means

New Poll