corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » More Dell laptop issues... Screen going black

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author More Dell laptop issues... Screen going black
Dan
Premium Member

User status: Offline
30th Sep 12 at 13:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some of you may remember my post about motherboard failure. Laptop went back to dell and had a new board.

First day i got it, i kinda reformatted it using the dell backup thing.

When i first turned it on, the screen went all fuzzy lined for a few mins then went back to normal.

Since then, every now and again, maybe once a day it started turning the backlight off on the screen. If you look close enough, you could see the images.

If i reboot, it sometimes returns, but as time goes on, its getting worse and worse, taking hours to turn back on/ only staying on for a few mins. Temp doesnt seem to effect it, will do it if its hot or cold.

If i connect to hdmi, it works fine with no issues at all.

Ive tried removing battery, holding down power button, as i read to clear static etc.

If i wiggle the screen etc, it doesnt seem to effect it. I stripped it down and checked all connections. all seem fine, as do the wiring looms.

Am i looking at a faulty led lcd panel? dont think this has a seperate inverter being LED does it?

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
John

30th Sep 12 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you can always see the screen faintly when it happens it's the backlight/inverter for the LCD, probably the inverter.

This isn't normally anything to do with the motherboard.

The inverter isn't expensive off ebay and not too difficult to fit.
Dan
Premium Member

30th Sep 12 at 14:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does it have one? From what I read and can find it doesn't. Looks like a complete screen at 45 quid

Dan
Premium Member

30th Sep 12 at 14:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Model is m5010

pow
Premium Member

30th Sep 12 at 16:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The new LED screens normally have them built in. Might be a dodgy conenction to the motherboard though
Dan
Premium Member

30th Sep 12 at 19:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even if its showing the images just no backlight? I don't wanna fork out 50 quid and it don't fix it. It's only since it went away

Sam
Premium Member

1st Oct 12 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You ought to go back to Dell and tell them the display was working before you sent it to them. They may fix it free of charge.

Otherwise if as pow says it's not a loose connection between the panel and the motherboard then you are looking at a new panel for it.

You'd have to take the old one off first though because laptops tend to use different panels/panels from different manufacturers for the same laptop model.
John

1st Oct 12 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doesn't need to be the same manufatcurer, as long as it's sold as fitting that laptop.
Sam
Premium Member

1st Oct 12 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There can be several panels that fit the same laptop, it doesn't mean that it will fit in his laptop - especially if the motherboard connection is on the wrong side/corner...
John

1st Oct 12 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If he buys one that says it fits that laptop that takes care of that problem. If it doesn't fit it gets sent back.
Sam
Premium Member

1st Oct 12 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or he could just remove the panel first and compare it to one that says it works with his laptop to spare him the bother of fucking about with returns just in case?
Dan
Premium Member

1st Oct 12 at 15:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The ebay seller shows the connections, so i can check that.

I reckon its the chucking about it probably had on the way to repair at dell caused it.

Rather than 7days without it, id rather fork out 44.99 for a screen i think. Can change it myself in a few mins, as i know how it all comes apart now.

Poxy things been brilliant for a year, now its all going pete tong!

Dan
Premium Member

27th Oct 12 at 19:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finally sorted this last week. Got a new screen off eBay. Fitted it. Worked like a dream for 4 days and then blown the backlight again.

Could the wrong motherboard cause this?

Sam
Premium Member

27th Oct 12 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a possibility.
Dan
Premium Member

28th Oct 12 at 15:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im just struggling to see what else it could be?

Its a brand new motherboard. Brand new screen. If it was the cable, it wouldnt have worked for so long after changing the screen.

Theres nothing else too it is there?

Sam
Premium Member

28th Oct 12 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any problems with the battery or AC adapter?
Dan
Premium Member

28th Oct 12 at 15:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never had an issue? It works fine, charges fine etc

Dan
Premium Member

12th Nov 12 at 18:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well....

Called dell, they asked about the issue, i stupidly told them i had fitted a new screen from ebay :/

Got told to do a test which powers only the monitor with lines for testing. That didnt work, got told to test hdmi port, that worked.

So they decided the monitor was definatley at fault.

My verdict was, the same, but why has 2 monitors now blown since replacing the motherboard. Seems strange.

Sorry sir, nothing we can do since you fitted a non genuine screen and the screen itself is faulty.

So i left it at that. A few days later, called up and told them that the hdmi port has now stopped working (which it had), and that i had refitted the old screen, and the test to power just the monitor worked fine.

They then said, yep, motherboard fault, we cant do anything, as its out of warranty. So i said that they have only fitted it 8 weeks or so ago, and that it should surely be replaced foc. After about 20mins of me babbling on the same thing about it, the bloke finally said, right ok, we will collect it, see if it is the motherboard, if it is, we will replace it, if the screen is faulty we wont touch it, and just return it.

A weeks passed, and it has arrived back tonight. Brand new motherboard, screen lead, and led screen!

RESULT!!!

So it pays to go on and on at dell till they give in!

Sam
Premium Member

12th Nov 12 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one! Let's hope these repairs last longer this time round!

Is it worth contacting the eBay screen seller about the screen they sold you?

New Poll