corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Remortgage time - Options

Poll: Remortgage time - Options
2 year fixed 2 (40%)
5 year fixed 1 (20%)
Variable 2 (40%)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Remortgage time - Options
Cavey

User status: Offline
3rd Jan 13 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok,

Fixed rate is running out in a month or so, had the letter through giving us our options, currently on 5.59% which I know is high, but we were restricted when we purchased (shared deal etc...)

2 year fixed - 3.59
5 year fixed - 4.09

Variable - 3.59 (3.09 above BoE)

I don't think the BoE rate will increase in the next few years, but I doubt it'll drop to 0.25 either, so thinking the 5 year is our best option incase RBS raise their rates like a few banks have done recently.

Unfortunately going with a different bank isn't really an option due to my shit contract (25hrs) and officially not guaranteed overtime, even though i've done 40 hours for the last 5 years and have P60s to prove it, other banks turned us down when we applied for the mortgage, and RBS was the only place that'd take us
Nismo

3rd Jan 13 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would go 2 years fixed, this will then complete just before the 2015 General election, this will give you chance to then take out a 5 year fixed just before the election as there is a chance the base rate could go up with the next election.
Dan
Premium Member

3rd Jan 13 at 11:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's still worth hunting about. You don't know unles you try. And there is plenty of options.

Could be worth free mortgage advice places.

What's your ltv roughly?

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Cavey

3rd Jan 13 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ltv is 60-70% as it's shared ownership, thing is, we've got 4* earnings at the moment, and Tesco (only other I tried, wouldn't lend the amount we need)

Mortgage advice centre might be worthwhile, last time we had to give 6 months or payslips each (I get paid weekly and the missus is shit at keeping hers)
Graeme
Premium Member

4th Jan 13 at 00:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends if your paying for the Mortage upfront at all. Is there any fee on them?

Also with your hours I would look more into it. I'm not contracted for any hours. Basically self employed but aslong as I showed them last 4 months pay slips they were fine for a average.
whitter45

7th Jan 13 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

variable as I assume it has no lending fee

its the same rate as the 2 year fixed and rates are niot going to be moving anytime soon
Cavey

7th Jan 13 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BoE rate won't be moving, I agree with that, but i'm worried about the bank itself raising it's rates like quite a few have done recently. Although with it being RBS and 70% tax payer owned I would think they'd leave it a while?

(and there's no fees on any of them anyway)

[Edited on 07-01-2013 by Cavey]
James

7th Jan 13 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't go with variable, even though it's unlikely to increase by a lot, I'd rather have the peace of mind of a fixed rate.
AndyKent

7th Jan 13 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On the opposite hand James, I'd far rather have variable where I can slowly absorb rate rises rather than suddenly having to find a massive amount more per month when your deal expires.
James

7th Jan 13 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
On the opposite hand James, I'd far rather have variable where I can slowly absorb rate rises rather than suddenly having to find a massive amount more per month when your deal expires.

Yeh but with a fixed rate, most people (or most financially savvy people) would remortgage when it expires.
whitter45

7th Jan 13 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

trouble is as the BoE rate rises so do the fix deals as most try and jump in

The economy (london aside) is not growing especially in housing so rates will not rise very soon

I would ride variable and on the first indication they will rise jump into a fixed

beats paying 1k mortage fees for a fixed rate thats the same as a variable

[Edited on 07-01-2013 by whitter45]
whitter45

7th Jan 13 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:

Yeh but with a fixed rate, most people (or most financially savvy people) would remortgage when it expires.

why would they James - the rate has not moved since I came out of my fixed rate in 2010 - therefore for nealry 3 years I have been on 2.5% - is that not savvy??
AndyKent

7th Jan 13 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Defo go with variable in current times for Those exact reasons ^^
James

7th Jan 13 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
quote:
quote:

why would they James - the rate has not moved since I came out of my fixed rate in 2010 - therefore for nealry 3 years I have been on 2.5% - is that not savvy??

I was referring to the situation that Andy described, if your fixed rate is about the expire and the rate you will be on isn't good, the savvy thing would be to find a new deal, not just bend over and take it.
whitter45

7th Jan 13 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I was referring to the situation that Andy described, if your fixed rate is about the expire and the rate you will be on isn't good, the savvy thing would be to find a new deal, not just bend over and take it.

but the varaibale and 2 year deal are the same interest rate but surely the fixed rate has a fee assigned to it - so for me the savvy would be variable as i doubt it will rise in the next 2 years

James

7th Jan 13 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jesus

I was referring to the situation that Andy described.

So say you are on fixed rate 3%, after the fixed rate expires it goes onto variable 5%. I'm saying the savvy thing would be to look for a new deal elsewhere, not just accept the 5%.

Obviously if the rate is the same after the fixed rate expires then yes, you would probably stick with it.
AndyKent

7th Jan 13 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's not quite what I was saying.

I meant coping with 0.25% increases 4 times is easier than 1% all in one go.

Would you rather trim £25 from your budget 4 times or £100 at once?
whitter45

7th Jan 13 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Jesus

So say you are on fixed rate 3%, after the fixed rate expires it goes onto variable 5%. I'm saying the savvy thing would be to look for a new deal elsewhere, not just accept the 5%.

Obviously if the rate is the same after the fixed rate expires then yes, you would probably stick with it.

2 year fixed - 3.59
5 year fixed - 4.09

That was the orginal question

Andy never mentioned any rates other than they would incrementally rise not all in one go

James

7th Jan 13 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
That's not quite what I was saying.

I meant coping with 0.25% increases 4 times is easier than 1% all in one go.

Would you rather trim £25 from your budget 4 times or £100 at once?

I completely agree, I wasn't doubting your logic. I assumed you meant that when the fixed rate expires, you automatically go straight onto the variable rate which is usually considerably less favourable. That's what my example was based on.

quote:
quote:
Jesus

2 year fixed - 3.59
5 year fixed - 4.09

That was the orginal question

Andy never mentioned any rates other than they would incrementally rise not all in one go

I wasn't responding to the original question, I was just talking about the situation that I mentioned above.
Cavey

7th Jan 13 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is no fee on the 2 year fixed

There is another deal that's £995 fee and 3.35% But over the 2 years it wouldn't save us £1k so I didn't mention it

[Edited on 07-01-2013 by Cavey]
Toby
Premium Member

8th Jan 13 at 17:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is the variable rate mentioned a new product or what you will fall onto now your not tied in?
Cavey

8th Jan 13 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New product, just leaving it now was over 4% can't remember off hand
Cavey

9th Jan 13 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably going for the 2 years fixed, in 2 years we have to start paying off the other 30% of the house So makes sense to have a clean break then and see if we can re-mortgage for the full amount then

Turns out in the time that's passed since I wrote the original message at 1407, the rates have dropped even more now 3.49 instead of 3.59 for the 2 year fixed, £7 a month less...

[Edited on 09-01-2013 by Cavey]

New Poll