corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Cat destroyed my speaker

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cat destroyed my speaker
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
   14th Jan 13 at 11:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought my home cinema gear a few years ago now, my budget at the time ran quite thin quite quickly and I ended up getting cheaper front speakers than I had hoped to get. It's always been on my list to upgrade them at a later date - but being honest I was always quite happy with their performance so never bothered.

Until this little bastard came along...

She doesn't scratch stuff really, quite well behaved - but due to where my front-right speaker is located, she used it every now and then to get onto the little wall I've got behind my TV.

She's basically caught the rubber membrane around the cone and split it, and now that speaker rattles like fuck on heavy bass scenes.

I was planning on upgrading all my speakers gradually to the Mordaunt Short Mezzo setup with standmount or floorstanders up front, and their bookshelf range in the rear... I'm hoping to move house in summer and have a dedicated theatre room, so cat's won't be a problem and I'll have the space for standmounts or floorstanders - but for the next 6-8 months I'm stuck with only enough space for bookshelves and constant risk of cat!

I'd picked the Mezzo's purely because it's roughly my budget (full kit will end up being under £2k) and I've heard their standmounts in the flesh. Due to my immediate requirement for front speakers, I thought about picking up the Mezzo bookshelves (~£300) which will eventually become my rears when I move house... but I'm not sure if I dare spend £300 on some speakers right now due to the cat, and depending on who you talk to - getting decent rear speakers is often pointless, better to direct the budget into your fronts and center...

In light of that, I thought about dropping down a tier with the Mordaunt Shorts and getting the Aviano bookshelf speakers - as they're £100(!) at Richer Sounds at the moment. Ultimately these will become my rears, and will roughly match the rest of my system aesthetically (which matters, as I'm a tart).

http://www.richersounds.com/product/bookshelf-speakers/mordaunt-short/aviano-1/mord-aviano-1-dk-wal

I'm looking for three bits of advice really...

1) Any alternatives to the M-Short kit at roughly my budget?
2) Any issues mixing the aviano rears with mezzo fronts once I've got the full setup in my new house?
3) Any cat proofing methods which people have found effective?

The grills for my existing speakers were taken off (for aesthetic reasons ) but they don't provide any protection anyway, it's like a pair of tights have been stretched over a frame. A solution to take care of both option 1) and option 3) could be some speakers with effective solid grills... but I'm not sure if any like that exist.

[Edited on 14-01-2013 by Kyle T]

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Mr-SEH

14th Jan 13 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fix the speaker with superglue till you upgrade, done it with subs before always fixed them. And buy a scratching post for the cat?
Kyle T
Premium Member

14th Jan 13 at 14:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye she's got a scratching post, and uses it - but as I said, this speaker only got spanked because it's "in her way" when she wants to climb up onto that wall

Unfortunately the rip is big enough for me not to be able to glue it, I'd need to either replace the rubber or patch it with something... neither of which I can be bothered with on these speakers!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Mr-SEH

14th Jan 13 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe you will have to move the speakers? Maybe up higher? And if you have a spare old speaker don't matter just cut a bit of the rubber off and glue it on to the broke one. If you can be arsed lol
Kyle T
Premium Member

14th Jan 13 at 14:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmmm I could move them lower I guess.

If I'm getting power tools out to redrill my mounts though, might as well just go cutting disk and take her paws off

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Munchie

14th Jan 13 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sell the cat and buy some speakers

Teach the fucker a lesson

[Edited on 14-01-2013 by Munchie]
Hammer

14th Jan 13 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As before, cats are shite.
richardworrall
Premium Member

14th Jan 13 at 20:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't you get a grill cover for them.
oba-corsa
Premium Member

14th Jan 13 at 20:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

focal jmlab but they are not cheap
Kyle T
Premium Member

14th Jan 13 at 21:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by richardworrall
Can't you get a grill cover for them.

I'm trying to find that out, sent Mordaunt Short an e-mail. The ones which are includes are just a fabric mesh.

I quite like the cat, so she's staying

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

19th Jan 13 at 18:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I ended up going for some Mordaunt Short Aviano 1's to replace my fronts. The grills which they come with have got a plastic mesh behind the fabric, so offer adequate protection (I hope) from kitten claws. At worst, she'll fuck the fabric and I'll retrim/replace them.

She typically doesn't make a habit of climbing up there, so hopefully this was a one off!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kerry

22nd Jan 13 at 03:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lovely cat! What breed is she?
Kyle T
Premium Member

23rd Jan 13 at 21:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry
Lovely cat! What breed is she?

Uhhh she's a white one

Seriously no idea! My GFs aunties cat went sleeping around with the local playaz and ended up preggers. Had three black and white boys, then two all white girls of which we took the coolest looking one.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

New Poll