corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » 'Quick Step' Laminate Flooring

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 'Quick Step' Laminate Flooring
dannymccann

User status: Offline
29th May 13 at 06:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Living room is 16m2, high traffic area (only exit in the house to the garden) and we have a dog, it currently has a cream carpet from when we moved in

I've always liked laminate/wood flooring in downstairs rooms, will be getting the kitchen floor tiled as it is vinyl at the moment and is dog shit.

Anyone used / laid this Quick Step stuff (how does it finish, is it high maintenance etc?), its the laminate that clicks together, so I think, even with my limited DIY skills, I should be able to lay it fine. How do you get it round awkward bits? There would be 4 door frames and a corner box to go round, no radiator pipes or anything, do I just take a jigsaw to it or would that ruin the board?
Toby
Premium Member

29th May 13 at 07:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it sees a lot of foot traffic its just going to wear a bit quicker but you will find you get what you pay for.

Mine had seen a lot of abuse. All types of fluids from parties etc and all types of footwear but other than a mop and hoover, it hasn't required any maintenance nor chipped or been damaged

It is generally easy to install and if you take the time to plan it out you can do it with minimal wastage. My main advice would be to make sure you leave a 5mm gap around the room from the edge to allow for expansion of the boards when warm otherwise it could buckle up in the middle. For this you can buy spacers designed to help fit it. It may also be worth getting some of the edging they do to hid the gap if you cant feed it under skirting boards etc.

To do difficult edges it was a case of marking it with a pencil and taking a fine wood blade on a jigsaw and cutting it. Use a bit of masking tape to stop it splintering.

IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

29th May 13 at 07:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my living room stuff was pretty cheap, had it laid by a pro and its been perfect! hardly any wear
dannymccann

29th May 13 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers, just got to figure out what to do for the door threshold as the living room has double width french doors with a white PVC sill...havent yet found any thresholds which wont look completely crap (wood colour will contrast against white and white colour would contrast the floor so I'm a bit stumped at the moment)
Seany

30th May 13 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Easiest way in my experience for doing awkward cuts is to mark out the cut on the back of the wood in reverse as obviously it will be flipped over when fitting. This seems to reduces cracks and splitting. Its really a piece of piss to fit and afyer your first little mistakes marking it out or whatever you will realise what you need to do.
I tend to use an off cut or spare piece of flooring for knocking the other bits in as now and then you can get a niggly bit that doesnt want to join in. And the best bit of advise I can give is to work from the longest straightest wall. That way your not trying to rip down loads of full lengths of board at the end.
Sounds harder than it is tbh.
Dan
Premium Member

31st May 13 at 07:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't use that crap edging stuff all around the room.

Do the job properly. Remove all skirting board, then refit/fit new on top of the flooring. Looks a million times nicer.

For door frames. Lay a piece of underlay and laminate upside down beside it, then use a saw laying on its side ontop of them and cut the door frame down. You can then slide the laminate under it.

As for thresholds, use a nice aluminium silver or gold? I used gold as it matches my door handles.

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Chris C

31st May 13 at 08:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quickstep is the best laminate IMO !!

Fit it at work all the time.

Easiest to use and best click system available, make sure you use a nice new blade in your jigsaw and you'll be fine.

As for trims they sell bars "incizos" that are an exact match to the floor.
Eddx14xe

31st May 13 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quickstep is the only laminate I've fitted at work. My boss highly recommends it and always persuades customers to use this make

New Poll