corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Wi-Fi booster...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wi-Fi booster...
kz

User status: Offline
8th Nov 13 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had it! The internet has slowed to a snail's pace in my bedroom... I've been tethering from my iPhone's 4G connection which is great but I've got 17 days until it resets and only 2Gb left now.

So, I think it's time for me to invest in a Wi-Fi booster. I don't know anything about these, could anyone recommend a good one!?

Thanks.
Brett
Premium Member

8th Nov 13 at 20:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wireless homeplugs, £70 pair

[Edited on 08-11-2013 by Brett]
John

8th Nov 13 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You get wireless homeplugs.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

8th Nov 13 at 20:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just bought 2 for our house. I wasn't sure the home plugs would work because I think our electric is on 2 separate circuits so boosters seemed the most likely option. We've got the router fairly central then a booster to reach my bedroom and the kitchen at one side and my brother's room and the living room the other way. No complaints from me, both are Netgear, can't remember the model name but one has 1000 in it, the other 2000, £30 & £50 respectively from Maplin.

9th Nov 13 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

let me know when you decide on the model, I deal with netgear may be able to get it cheaper
PhilC

9th Nov 13 at 09:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.ebuyer.com/259811-tp-link-tl-wa730re-repeater-external-tl-wa730re

Or change the antenna on the access point you have already and make sure that you aren't on the same WiFi channel as you neighbours.

[Edited on 09-11-2013 by PhilC]
kz

9th Nov 13 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 1986
let me know when you decide on the model, I deal with netgear may be able to get it cheaper

Bollocks already got it now! Just walked into Maplin's, never mind.

Result?

Worse than before...

What I've noticed though is when running Speedtest.net it'll be going full whack at about 2.5Mb/s then it'll slowly drop to about 0.05Mb/s where it'll sit for anything between 5 seconds and 5 minutes before coming back up again what could be causing this!?
John

9th Nov 13 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you checked it's the wifi connection and not your internet connection?
kz

10th Nov 13 at 01:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unfortunately I don't have a way to check it over ethernet as the port is broken on my router...

I've tried rolling back the network adapter driver, disconnecting all bluetooth accessories, and changing the Wi-Fi channel... none of which have helped. Just now I tried a simple router reboot and it is working better but then again it's 01:15 in the morning and I'm sure it would usually work better at this time anyway! Need to test again in the morning.
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th Nov 13 at 09:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some ADSL routers will have the connection speed logged on its config/admin page.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
_Allan_

10th Nov 13 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What router is it? Swap it out for a mates or buy a cheap one off ebay,
kz

10th Nov 13 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any you could recommend? I have the standard Orange Livebox that came with my connection years ago... why would it suddenly 'go' though!?
_Allan_

10th Nov 13 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone you know on Orange to simply swap over the boxes to try. Orange is now EE so I doubt they'll sort you with a replacement box. Probably try and get you on EE services.

I had a similar issue with my O2 router moons ago but called them up and got a new one off them.

You should be able to either get a second hand one on ebay if you want to try it cheaply or buy a new router outright. Netgear or Belkin will be fine and cheap enough. You then will need to setup it up as per the current Orange settings. Should be a guide on a forum somewhere.

richardworrall
Premium Member

10th Nov 13 at 15:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

simple....make you own extender
http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-Wi-Fi-Extender/
kz

12th Nov 13 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never mind I tried another router which didn't work so phoned up EE and turns out there is a problem with my line on the 'BT exchange' side of things... should see a repair in 2-4 days. He was surprised my home phone was still working though!

New Poll