corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Network People. Class C Subnetting

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Network People. Class C Subnetting
Aaron

User status: Offline
12th Feb 14 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've working in IT for a fair while, but the logic behind subnetting is something i've always struggled with (and mental arithmetic in general)

I've decided to pull my finger out with this and try to get the process hard-wired in my brain due to an exam i'm studying to pass.

Anyway, could someone in the know take a look at the workings in the following link and see if you agree it's accuracy?

Cheers

http://imageshack.com/a/img822/6992/qfv5.jpg
Kyle T
Premium Member

12th Feb 14 at 22:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

EVERYONE has a different way of doing it. Writing out a quick "sheet" like your picture really helped me, though mine was more of a grid to show the patterns of each CIDR notation, once familiar with it I could work out pretty much any question about subnetting within 5 or 6 seconds.

Wonder if I've got one lying around somewhere from when I did CCNA, I even drew my sheet out on the whiteboard when taking my exam - helped loads.

Your scenario looks good to me.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
pow
Premium Member

12th Feb 14 at 23:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks good to me. I do very similar to you, using the binary to work everything out. Never found a grid helped me. The more you use it the more you just start to know it.

Unless you were really struggling for space (like a couple of schools I've worked win that have assigned class A ranges), you'd pretty much always use a /24 mask in a class A range for subnetting in the real world. Certainly all I've ever come across or implemented myself.
Aaron

15th Feb 14 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think i've got my head around class B now. I've been over-complicating it due to the additional octet..but i think i'm there now.

http://imageshack.com/a/img716/8603/9rw1.png
pow
Premium Member

15th Feb 14 at 15:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Put the Network Addresses in there (192.168.1.0/24 for example) to help it flow as well

Network number, Network Address, Usable IPs, Broadcase Address

[Edited on 15-02-2014 by pow]
Aaron

15th Feb 14 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Indeed

Class A to come, but i think I should be ok.

I feel as though i'm re-lighting parts of my brain to do the "simple" binary calculations. Then there's the "to the power of" calculations to work out how many networks or hosts are required.
pow
Premium Member

15th Feb 14 at 17:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Class A is a piece of piss. Like I said, in the real world you use 10.1.x.x with a mask of 255.255.255.0 to give you 256 networks with 254 usable addresses on the whole unless you are doing something BIG
pow
Premium Member

15th Feb 14 at 17:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

...and then if you need a bigger subnet just change the mask ofcourse
Aaron

15th Feb 14 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Class A is a piece of piss. Like I said, in the real world you use 10.1.x.x with a mask of 255.255.255.0 to give you 256 networks with 254 usable addresses on the whole unless you are doing something BIG

Yeah we use class A addresses for the networks which we support, however, because some of these schools have over 2000 devices, the subnets have to be altered to accommodate this
pow
Premium Member

15th Feb 14 at 23:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah standard, my last place had a guest subnet with a 255.255.0.0 mask lol

[Edited on 15-02-2014 by pow]

New Poll