corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Computer Build Companies

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Computer Build Companies
Pop

User status: Offline
23rd Sep 14 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey,

In short I am looking to have built a home theater PC which will be used to store our current DVD & Blu-Ray collection. I've chosen to go down the PC route as it will give wider scope for viewing content that media streamers don't all offer.

I have looked at NAS' but in reality it's only one TV that we will be looking to play content through.

Have you had a computer built before? Who would you recommend?

I've seen a few companies that will do it but I know there are loads out there who can build something that meets my needs, but don't advertise home theater PC's specifically.

Ideally I am looking for large hard drive capacity (8TB plus) as many films will be saved in 1080p format. Other than that it needs to be able to output via HDMI.

All thoughts are appreciated.
gooner_47

23rd Sep 14 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thoughts... build it yourself? Unless you're not into that.

I think I've seen Scan come recommended before.
Richie

24th Sep 14 at 03:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a custom effort which you will struggle to get the likes of Scan 3xS ect to fit the bill

It's easy enough to build a PC yourself so just take it on as a project in my opinion - or you could easily sub it out to someone.

8tb is an issue depending on the size of the chassis you can fit in your entertainment "area" - you are talking 2x4TB Disks if you want zero redundancy, or 4x4TB disks for a RAID1 mirror set for redundancy.

Lots of options but main things will be the space you have (to accommodate appropriate chassis) and budget.

[Edited on 24-09-2014 by Richie]
luciaadr

24th Sep 14 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

HP microserver plus low profile graphics card of your choice. There is a large community of people using these as they are cheap and well built. With 4TB HDDs being in the £/GB sweetspot now you can have as much storage as you like, with a bit of RAID for protection as well if desired.

If you want go go down the NAS route, it can be easily re-purposed (mine has 7 HDDs in).
Richie

24th Sep 14 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuck forgot about a microserver my brain is in gameland. Media centre PC at the moment has a GTX780 in there for Steam BigTV stuff.

New Poll