corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Alpine CDA-7990 (F1 Status) cd head unit how much is it worth??

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Alpine CDA-7990 (F1 Status) cd head unit how much is it worth??
hitman2k

User status: Offline
11th Nov 04 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apprently my m8 said its worth ova 2k he brought 1 second hand mint condtion for £500 whats so special bout it???? or is he pulling my leg?

[Edited on 11-11-2004 by hitman2k]
Richie

11th Nov 04 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

those units are for serious sound quality junkies. They retai for about $2600 in the states
Dom

11th Nov 04 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can get them over here for a few quid short of 2k And like richie said, yea there propper audiophille gear - IE: you dont use analog RCAs, you use digital connections to processors that convert it for your amps (and you keep the connection between the processors analog outputs and amps as close as pos etc etc).

You get the idea....its like buying LINN/Rotel/Arcam/Cyrus gear, but for your car

although, i would ask whats wrong with it...because they go for over a grand second hand usually
kev_corsa

11th Nov 04 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mmmmmmm fibre optics sound coool
Dom

11th Nov 04 at 23:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kev_corsa

its not optical on majority of units, its good old digital RCA connections - like you used to get on denon hifi cdplayers from the transport to external DAC units

although tbh, i doubt many people could tell the difference between a digital setup and a analog setup - although if there were amps that had digital RCA inputs then i would imagine that you would notice something But ive yet to see any on my surfing travels
Richie

12th Nov 04 at 07:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some people prefer analog

And a heavier wallet
audio one

12th Nov 04 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

F1 status range was an excercise in building equipment if cost wasn't an issue... never heard any of the kit but would have thought with a 2k price it should sound sweet

paul
www.audio-one.co.uk
kev_corsa

12th Nov 04 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VisibleMan
quote:

its not optical on majority of units, its good old digital RCA connections - like you used to get on denon hifi cdplayers from the transport to external DAC units

although tbh, i doubt many people could tell the difference between a digital setup and a analog setup - although if there were amps that had digital RCA inputs then i would imagine that you would notice something But ive yet to see any on my surfing travels

o right, so if it isnt an optical cable whats the difference? ensures smack on impedance matching?

[Edited on 12-11-2004 by kev_corsa]
AdiSRI

12th Nov 04 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they are really dear, id like one but when u think u can get the IVA-D300RB with a touch screen and the works for £500 odd less it just doesnt seem worth it...
Dom

12th Nov 04 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

o right, so if it isnt an optical cable whats the difference? ensures smack on impedance matching?

no, its digital mate..ie: you have a big thick sod off sheild cable with phono connector on the ends (RCA) Alot of hifi gear still use it over optical - dont know why it is used. I would have thought optical would have been better in a car, especially as its space saving + plus they could wack alot more down an optical cable than a digital audio SPDIF cable

eitherway, like i said i doubt you would notice the difference...although it has started to become pretty big in the SQ world Then again it would have to be considering your spending 2k on the HU (cd transport) then another 1k+ on a DAC processor etc
AdiSRI

12th Nov 04 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the F1 status EQ unit is over £4000 lol!!
Dom

13th Nov 04 at 00:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AdiSRI
the F1 status EQ unit is over £4000 lol!!

tbh, no offence to all of us who like our ice...but 4k for a eq box
i would rather spend my dough on a decent cinema setup, with a CRT projector, big sod off white screen and a decent LINN setup. Would be worth alot more, considering it would sound alot better that try to get a car to sound decent - which hard (not impossible, but its very costly as we all know. Where as, a few well placed rugs and curtains do alot in a room) as you get the sound waves bouncing of hard metal surfaces, ie: metal, which vibrate causing excess harmonics etc etc
kev_corsa

13th Nov 04 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

no, its digital mate..ie: you have a big thick sod off sheild cable with phono connector on the ends (RCA) Alot of hifi gear still use it over optical - dont know why it is used. I would have thought optical would have been better in a car, especially as its space saving + plus they could wack alot more down an optical cable than a digital audio SPDIF cable

eitherway, like i said i doubt you would notice the difference...although it has started to become pretty big in the SQ world Then again it would have to be considering your spending 2k on the HU (cd transport) then another 1k+ on a DAC processor etc

excuse me if im being really thick, but what actually is the diffrence in the cable then? seems to me as a big sales gimmic because all phonos are sheilded anyway arent they? ground around the outside and signal in the core
Ally

13th Nov 04 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only difference in the cable is the resistance. The way the cables work is the same as any other digital medium. In this case its on (3v signal) or off (0v).

They usually have a thicker core or more shielding. You can still use a bog standard RCA to connect it up though.
hitman2k

14th Nov 04 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wow he brought yday basically brand new!! looks like the normal alpine HU not much different!!.....................

New Poll