corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » stalling corsa 1.4 CDX EML comes on, any ideas...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author stalling corsa 1.4 CDX EML comes on, any ideas...
nickc

User status: Offline
15th Mar 06 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi,

I am trying to get to the bottom of a problem with my 1994 (or is it 95?) Corsa 1.4 CDX (SI I think - it's the DOHC one). Going home yesterday the engine management light came on and stayed on. The car then started stalling at junctions, but seemed to be fine performance wise when moving. I did the paper clip test with the A/B pins in the diagnostic port in the fuse box and it flashed the following codes in this order (info from http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/fault_codes/fault_codes.htm#gm )

12 - Initiation of diagnosis.
47 - Linear exhaust gas re-circulation (EGR) position.
43 - Primary ignition (distributor systems) - Fault: High voltage.
24 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) - Fault: No speed signal or low voltage.

The car didn't stall at all this morning on my 30min journey, although the EML came on after about 15mins and stayed on. So it looks like I have three faults logged. The light has come on before (twice I think it the last couple of years) for a few mins, but went off again so didn't investigate further. I don't know if all three are genuine faults, or old intermitent ones.

Does anyone know a way to clear the codes so that I can let it log them again when the light comes on? I have tried leaving the battery disconnected for 3 hours, switching the ignition on/off 30 times, but STILL the fault codes are stored! If I can't reset the codes then I will have to admit defeat and get vauxhall to look at it. If I can narrow the problem down to one component then I can attempt to replace that myself and save some cash.

Does anyone have any ideas of things to look for, or a way to clear the fault codes?

Many thanks for any info you can provide
Cheers,
Nick

PS - Is the order of the fault codes important? If so that would point at the VSS which probably would affect the idle??
ainsley_brader

15th Mar 06 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is your speedo working ok?
nickc

15th Mar 06 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, speedo is working fine.

The light came on today on the way to work and on the way back, but the car didn't stall today at junctions

If there was a way I could clear the three faults currently logged in the ECU then I reckon it would give me the actual code for the problem the EML is indicating, but I can't seem to clear them... Has anyone actually managed to clear these faults without the use of a tech2?
nickc

15th Mar 06 at 23:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Having looked through other posts I reckon it is the VSS - this would certainly cause the stalling problem at junctions and was the most recent fault logged. It would appear that pre 1996 corsa's have the VSS in the back of the clocks - so a new set of clocks would be required if that sensor has gone. I'm fairly sure that the speedo is cable driven (rather than a sensor in the gearbox) as it starts from 10mph, which means that I can't just replace the sensor

Anyone think this sounds sensible?

I might have a go at removing the clocks as it appears to be a 1 spanner job in the haynes manual and take a look Haynes manual says that the sensor is an integral part and no individual spare parts are available I might phone up vauxhall to have a laugh and find out how much the replacement thing would be. Seems like I can probably get one on ebay for 30-40 quid - guess I just look for a corsa B clocks unit with a rev counter, or are there some subtle differences?

I dunno...
nickc

16th Mar 06 at 07:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I get a new set of clocks off ebay will I lose my old mileage?? Is there any way to reprogram it to the correct mileage? Or mayb I could get one and take only the VSS from it to fit to mine?

Any ideas?
Ta.
nickc

16th Mar 06 at 07:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oops, just realised that it isn't a digital one - I was thinking of my vectra
So I guess a good old drill would soon let me wind it round an set it to the correct mileage - might take a bit of time though
nickc

17th Mar 06 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If anyone is interested in the vauxhall prices for the VSS for a corsa:
36.90+VAT for the gearbox sensor one.
110+VAT for a 'VDO' speedo unit.
156+VAT for a 'Jaeger' speedo unit.

... apparently.

Does anyone know if the speedo unit comes with the VSS integrated - the chap on the phone said that it wasn't mentioned on the system.

I will take the clocks out at the weekend and see what I can find. The EML hasn't come on for the past couple of days, so maybe it has cured itself ... or maybe it's waiting until I am miles from home to fail and stall all the way back!

PS - The drill method probably isn't a great one to match a replacement clocks unit - if you can only wind the clock forward. Someone on this board pointed out that it would take over 200 days to wind it over 999,999 miles! But apparently the dials can be twiddled if you open it up.

New Poll