corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » spraying car

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author spraying car
roybob

User status: Offline
22nd Mar 06 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

was thinking of spraying my car so said why not have ago me self, just wondering what the best type equipment use? as in what size compressor n type spray gun or getting sumthing like Earlex make where you need no compressor as its all built in one and very compact, sure if anybody got any advice would be greatly appreciated as I probably dont want fcuk it up.cheers in advance
x14xe

22nd Mar 06 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do alot of restoration work on minis, i re spray them myself too. The best way of getting a good finish is having the right eqpt and practice.

You defo need an aircompressor some thing around the size of 24 litre capacity with a flow rate of about 7CFM. The pump power is also important, you want something like a 1.5 HP pump. Also try and get an oil free compressor, then you have no chance of oil contaminating the fresh paint.

When it comes to the spray gun, theyre all pretty similar, personally i dont think it really matters what gun you buy, as long as you are comfortable using it. You just need practice and patience when doing body work.
roybob

22nd Mar 06 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers for that mate. will have a look for sum gear and get practising.
roybob

22nd Mar 06 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just wondering again does psi matter is higher r lower better
x14xe

22nd Mar 06 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah the pressure is important, but not so much when painting, most guns have a pressure regulator on them. If you gonna buy a compressor you want something with max pressure no less than 8 Bar.
roybob

22nd Mar 06 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

chhers again for that.
johnny27

22nd Mar 06 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is a way to tell the differnece in a good spray gun and a cheap one, and its prettly important. With a cheap gun, whereever you finish the stroke when painting it hazes or makes a mist on the end of the stroke, and on a panel its hard to cover the haze because there will be another haze where you touch it up and so on. A good gun like a delbliss (sp?) or a good sealey the haze is very very little of not at all. I use a sealey over head gun gold series, its not that expensive but as mentioned above dose'nt haze, and the gravity flow is good at keeping mettalics in soloution and produces a very good fine mist of paint.
roybob

22nd Mar 06 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats the difference between having the cup on the bottom of the gun and on the top, the place where you put the paint?
johnny27

22nd Mar 06 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The main advantage is it uses less paint, almost every single drop where as the bottom feed gun will not lift the last 5 cm of paint or so. The spray mist also seems to be finer. but its got one disadavantage, its that the paint can't be mixed in the bowl, it has to be mixed before hand in a mixing cup. The gravity feed guns also are better at producing more spraying force, meaning less paint is used and u can spray much futher away from the surface, meaning less runs once your used to it, and a better ability or getting into every corner. But don't get me wrong, the tradintional bottom feed spraying guns are excellent too, just get a good one. Also with body shops now using more water based paints, the gravity gun is prefered for water based mettalics, as it keeps the pigments in soloution better.
johnny27

22nd Mar 06 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by roybob
just wondering again does psi matter is higher r lower better

Usual spraying pressure is set between 35-50 psi. I would'nt go above or lower either way. My 100 litre twin cyclinder 5hp compressor is just constantly set at 40 psi so i never have to adjust it. To do a good job i would'nt recommend a tank size under 50 litre, as when the pressure drops when the tank is ready to refill the gun sprays poorly and u'll make mistakes. Where as a 100 lite will take alot longer to empty the tank, but even a 100 litre is'nt REALLY good, but it does the job
johnny27

22nd Mar 06 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As i said the sealey gold series gravity gun is first class an not expensive. Its got every adjustment you'd ever need for a car, for every nook and cranny. If your intresred i can send you a link for a company on ebay that sells them half price. Also i mentioned that they're not the top or the range spray gun but damn good. Also if you mixing 2k paint, don't mix to much at a time, as you can end up with alot left after spraying your coat, and you can't put 2k paint back in the tin as it will harden. Just mix up enough for a small coat of paint at a time, that way u waste none, if you make a mistake, and have to wait till that paint is fully hard to correct it, as two pack will hardern in about 1 hour.
roybob

22nd Mar 06 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks for that, how would you know when tank emptys and you need stop for it to refill,i take it it would show on a gauge or sumthing ya?
Michael B

22nd Mar 06 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

normally the pressure goes down, and the compressor should be set to come on automatically when the pressure drops..
roybob

22nd Mar 06 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers all of ye for your advice, think il have sonce on gud aul ebay and take it from ere, il end up spraying everything in sight id say to get the hang of it haha,

New Poll