corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » strange problem (steering related)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author strange problem (steering related)
Robin
Premium Member

User status: Offline
8th Dec 06 at 23:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

since I lowered my C, every time I pull away, the steering wheel turns about 45 degrees to the left, if I'm not touching the steering wheel.

It's not pulling if I do hold it, and it goes in a straight line if I hold on or not.

The tyre pressures are fine, all the bolts are done up tight, and the tracking is ok.

any ideas?

(don't say 'hold on to the wheel', because it shouldn't do it anyway.)

I can't work it out.
Joe

8th Dec 06 at 23:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ball joint or something? I take it you checked the tracking since you lowered it?
Robin
Premium Member

8th Dec 06 at 23:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, did that on monday, it was fine, according to the garage.

It's more like driving over something, than pulling you off the road, like pressures would.

BUT, tracking being out would pull the steering wheel off centre permanently, which it doesn't

It's not a ball joint, I checked them too, no play at all.

It's really hard to describe
Joe

8th Dec 06 at 23:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I know what you mean, have you tried switching the front and back wheels around? See if that makes a difference for some reason?
Robin
Premium Member

8th Dec 06 at 23:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll try that, and double check the bolts.

Then I suppose I'll have to go somewhere else and get the tracking checked again

I might take a vid tomorrow, to explain what I mean a bit better

It doesn't pull as such, the wheel just turns, like the tracking is out, but the wheel is straight the rest of the time.

I blame the stupid electronic steering
Joe

8th Dec 06 at 23:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So when your moving it does'nt pull at all? I take it there was no CV grease everywhere as the clips are prone to breaking so CV could be nackered.
Robin
Premium Member

8th Dec 06 at 23:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nah, no grease.

it's fine when it's rolling, it's just when you first move off, and if you do turn the wheel from straight when moving, it turns as normal.

its as if the rack has some play in it, but only at junction speeds
jamesvalver

8th Dec 06 at 23:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get the caster and camber checked out as the caster could cause this if its out of alignment
Robin
Premium Member

8th Dec 06 at 23:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but it's fixed, I can't see how it can be out
Joe

8th Dec 06 at 23:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah it can't be, assuming you have'nt bumped it or something. I think i'd try swapping the wheels front to back and see if that sorts it, maybe a tyre out of shape or something?
Robin
Premium Member

8th Dec 06 at 23:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope, not bashed anything, no vibrations either, so I doubt a tyre is out of shape (better bloody not be anyway, they're brand new )

I'll swap them over anyway, check the pressures and bolts again too.

It must be something I've done, as it's been since I took it apart...

I was thinking it could be an ARB drop link, as they were an arse to get off, so I thought I might have damaged one, but they shouldn't affect it at all, should they?
jamesvalver

8th Dec 06 at 23:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if the arb link is damaged then it will most likely cause a knocking noise over bumps
Joe

8th Dec 06 at 23:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah i'd say its something you've done *cough* fuck up *cough*

ARB link should'nt affect it, they are easy to get of too? But still should'nt make it pull.

Did you make sure the bearing in the top mounts were free before you put the strut back on? Not that it should make a difference thinking about it but its gota be something loose or not seated properly.

[Edited on 08-12-2006 by joe6886]
Robin
Premium Member

9th Dec 06 at 00:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are easy if you've got the right tools Joe, but I was using an adjustable, as I didn't have the right size spanner

I don't remember there being a bearing in the top mounts, but I did make sure everything was seated right, and the right way up etc, I also greased the ends of the springs, as per the corsa-c.co.uk tutorial.
Robin
Premium Member

9th Dec 06 at 02:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

according to the lads on corsa-c, the steering rack/column are common faults, and give the symptoms I'm getting

looks like my last bit of cash is going in to fixing that then
corsa-sxi

9th Dec 06 at 02:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is ur car under any warranty at all mate? because when i had column replaced it was £550 glad it was under warranty, the rack is about £300 new too but it may not be those, check over the slight things 1st, it cud just be the size of your tyres?
Robin
Premium Member

9th Dec 06 at 02:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bloody hope it is

I'm not paying 800+ for that, I'll just put all the standard stuff back on, sell it, and buy a 1.6 B or something
Adam-D

9th Dec 06 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

could be somthing simple like tramlining?
Robin
Premium Member

9th Dec 06 at 12:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

on standard offset wheels, at low speeds?

New Poll