corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » uPVC window advice/thoughts please

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author uPVC window advice/thoughts please
neoquip

User status: Offline
18th Feb 07 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is the front of our house as of now (well pic was taken in september 06)

we're having a two storey extension on the rear in a month or so.
but our dilemma is that we'll be having new uPVC windows on the rear, new front door and patio doors at the rear too.

Now. do we replace the uPVC windows on the front as well?

AND do we keep with the light oak effect or go for white all round?

Thing to consider.
1. we're painting the rendering in County Cream later this year.

2. Light Oak is about 25% more expensive than white.

3. the windows on the front are light oak inside as well and we really would like the white internals.

4. at the mo the windows on the front seem poor quality, only have two transoms that open on each window, so not giving fire escape exit!! also not toughened glass upstairs either even though the glass height is less than 800mm from the floor!!!

main question is do we go for WHITE instead of light oak, we're leaning more to the white.

what do you think... the 25% price increase is something to consider too.
CorsaLad

18th Feb 07 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi mate,

I would go for white on the front aswell. Some people do not like the wood "effect" uPVC as IMO it looks cheap. The 25% saving you will get from going for white should help justify spending the extra on changing the front ones too! All IMO of course.

You looking at any other properties in Notts to buy?
myke

18th Feb 07 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

having them dark also means you need more reinforcement in them which might explain some of the extra price difference.

Also i think the toughened glass is only really necesary for the ground floor for security reasons, not to prevent accidents from inside.

plus having smalleropeining lights keeps others from getteing in aswell as you from escaping.

there's loads of profile makers and thousands of fabricators and installers, so if you want the wood foil but don't like the price quoted, then look around for asome more quotes.

Having the lead inserts also makes them dearer, so consider replacing with plain units?

where is you front door btw?
sigibbons

18th Feb 07 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you really want white internals then you have made your mind up already.
sigibbons

18th Feb 07 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and get some opening sashes when you replace them, just having opening lights is dangerous IMO.
neoquip

18th Feb 07 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what opening sashes? ou mean proper opening full windows?

you need toughened glass on upstairs too, if your lowest point of glass is less than 800mm
Cosmo

18th Feb 07 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can have different coloured internals than external, so can have the oak outside and white inside.

I would personally go with something other than white on the outside as it will look too plain with the rendered walls.
corsa_godfather

19th Feb 07 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as said above the profiles vary you can get oak on outside and white on inside,oak on oak,woodgrain on white etc.

Just a note,new builds have quite a strict law now meanin extensions etc have to have perma vents and K glass fitted to the windows.I am not sure if you would have to do the same with replacing the other windows in the house.

Coloured profiles (oak,brown etc) are more expensive ase they are foiled and they have to have every part of the window steel reinforeced or the plastic will expand due to the heat in the hot weather.

Personally i would go for white or woodgrain on outside and white on inside as i dont think the oak suits you house.

I could have got you a good deal on your windows and doors,pity im in Scotland though lol

[Edited on 19-02-2007 by corsa_godfather]
Ally

19th Feb 07 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I personally would have white, but i dont like wooden/oak/dark windows at all on anywhere so am slightly biased
Dave

19th Feb 07 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oak upvc windows are gash, thats nothing like oak, looks more like diarrhoea. I'd either go for dark (mahogany) ones or push the boat out and get some timber ones made, not convinced white would go well with cream render.
neoquip

19th Feb 07 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had SafeStyle Uk quote tonight.
Priced for LightOak outside with white inside.
started at £38k!!!!!!, then down to £18k.. then down to £15k as we got their number off the net... then came down to £9k!!!

where do they make these prices up from!
Cosmo

19th Feb 07 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New Poll