corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Printer warning messages - 'are you sure this needs printing?'

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Printer warning messages - 'are you sure this needs printing?'
deano87

User status: Offline
10th Dec 08 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where I work, we've recently had a meeting which has basically said if things don't pick up, then redundancies could be made. Whilst they urge this will be a last resort, they want the company to start thinking about more about what it uses etc to reduce costs.

Is there anyway of doing a printer warning message, whereby when someone is in Word, Excel, PPT, Adobe Acrobat etc and click 'Print' it comes up with a message saying "Are you sure this really needs printing?" then a Yes No option to stop it printing?!

The lazer printer which needs it doing to is on the network, not a local machine. I can get access to the printer settings i.e. 'Control Panel' -> 'Printers & Faxes'. But haven't a clue?!

Cheers
pow
Premium Member

10th Dec 08 at 22:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bloody wish
Gaz

10th Dec 08 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know of some fancy printer were-by when you clikc print it gives you a code, You input this into the printer and it prints your document(s). Then if a code is not picked up over a X amount of hours/days it simply deletes the file awaiting to be printer from its print queue.
deano87

10th Dec 08 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well our network Dell lazer at home can have a password on it, but that is pretty pointless.

Our Uni has a top-up system, whereby if you don't have credit, it won't print. I guess something like this would need installing on the server, rather than printer set.

Damn.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
10th Dec 08 at 22:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Send an email around saying 'stop wasting paper and toner please, we're trying to save money'.

Honestly. Spending time faffing about with a computer system is not saving any money whatsoever. How many people at this meeting? You're probably up to £100 just in staff wages already. That's a lot of paper.

We've got some stupid faffy email signature in work. Think of the environment - consider whether you need to print this email. Exactly how stupid are the people of this world. It's a complete insult.

[Edited on 10-12-2008 by Ian]
Gaz

10th Dec 08 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Send an email around saying 'stop wasting paper and toner please, we're trying to save money'.

Honestly. Spending time faffing about with a computer system is not saving any money whatsoever. How many people at this meeting? You're probably up to £100 just in staff wages already. That's a lot of paper.

Or failing this send an email explaining that the office will no longer supply batches of paper. If employee's wish to print the crosswords and sudoko they can bring there own reem's.
deano87

10th Dec 08 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It doesn't work where I work.

We have 3 recycling bins which I was asked to implement. One says 'Plastic Bottles Only' with a sign above it requesting that lids are off (because the recycling depot doesn't take the lids), the bottles rinsed (stale milk hums) and squashed (to save space in the bin).

Can they manage that? Can they fuck! This is after 2 notices via email and one in big fucking green letters which sat on the Intranet for about 1 month.

[Edited on 10-12-2008 by deano87]
Haimsey
Premium Member

10th Dec 08 at 23:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Eco deano

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
deano87

10th Dec 08 at 23:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just want to keep my job
Haimsey
Premium Member

10th Dec 08 at 23:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you lose it, start up an Eco warrior group

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
deano87

10th Dec 08 at 23:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or not. I'd rather just get a 1st at Uni 'cause I have all the time in the world.
Welsh Dan

11th Dec 08 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
Well our network Dell lazer at home can have a password on it, but that is pretty pointless.

Our Uni has a top-up system, whereby if you don't have credit, it won't print. I guess something like this would need installing on the server, rather than printer set.

Damn.

They are easy to beat. Alledgedly

When you go into the printer settings, it comes up with "Print to store" or something. Just change to "print to printer" and it will print it anyway. If you're especially lucky, it will print your stuff out as soon as someone else puts their card in and someone else will pay for it
deano87

11th Dec 08 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ours isn't done like that. You top-up at a separate work station thing, and it shows credits in the 'Print Manager' on the desk top. No cards etc involved
Welsh Dan

11th Dec 08 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmmm. There should still be a setting that decides where it prints to. Might be worth having a fiddle
Dom

11th Dec 08 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Ours isn't done like that. You top-up at a separate work station thing, and it shows credits in the 'Print Manager' on the desk top. No cards etc involved

Same here, have print-credit top-up machines all around the libary, pain in the arse too - they charge 10p an A4
Welsh Dan

11th Dec 08 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't you have to top up a card though? That was how we did it. Or at least, some of us
John

11th Dec 08 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

It doesn't work where I work.

We have 3 recycling bins which I was asked to implement. One says 'Plastic Bottles Only' with a sign above it requesting that lids are off (because the recycling depot doesn't take the lids), the bottles rinsed (stale milk hums) and squashed (to save space in the bin).

Can they manage that? Can they fuck! This is after 2 notices via email and one in big fucking green letters which sat on the Intranet for about 1 month.

[Edited on 10-12-2008 by deano87]

I bet you piss the office right off.

One place I worked we all had bins under desks, rubbish goes in bin, simple.

Some smart alec decided to take these away and dot recycling bins all over the place.

Que rubbish lying on desk until you walk by a bin, then all being thrown in the normal rubbish bin beside the recycling ones.

I bet it costs the company money somewhere to get that stuff recycled.
Dom

11th Dec 08 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Welsh Dan
Don't you have to top up a card though? That was how we did it. Or at least, some of us

No, stick our uni id card in the machine and then fill it up with your spare change in your wallet.

Each system then has a printer-credit monitor that tells you how much cash you have and reducts money everytime you print something.

Although i think using a mac, doesn't effect this......
deano87

11th Dec 08 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
I bet you piss the office right off.

One place I worked we all had bins under desks, rubbish goes in bin, simple.

Some smart alec decided to take these away and dot recycling bins all over the place.

Que rubbish lying on desk until you walk by a bin, then all being thrown in the normal rubbish bin beside the recycling ones.

I bet it costs the company money somewhere to get that stuff recycled.

1) I was asked to implement it
2) They're only in the kitchen, along with a normal bin
3) We go to the domestic waste & recycling depot

New Poll