corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » X14XE 1.4 Auto Changing Head Gasket

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author X14XE 1.4 Auto Changing Head Gasket
cwiffen

User status: Offline
14th Feb 09 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi all,

I am trying to change the head gasket on my P reg 1.4 Corsa and have got to the point where i need to remove the cambelt but can't work out how to undo the Crankshaft Pulley bolt. I have looked around this site but can't find anyone else who has asked this question!!
As its an Auto i cant lock the gearbox, so how can i stop the engine from turning as i try to undo the torx nut??????
I saw in the FAQ's to flick the key with a bar on the nut, but then how would i lock the engine to set the torque when refitting it????
It says in the Haynes to remove the starter motor and wedge something in against the cogs, I'm not sure about doing this and the starter motor looks like a pig to get to the bolts anyway.
I am hoping someone can help as a few people have said that this is a fairly straight forward job, and i'm sure there is something obvious that those in the know will know :-)

Many thanks in advance.
Carl

[Edited on 14-02-2009 by cwiffen]
vxmechanic

14th Feb 09 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Air impacts gun would be the best bet! but if not couldn't you put it in park?? on the box and it should lock the box up, if not the screwdriver/leaver bar on the flywheel would work if you have 2 pairs off hands, but personaly i would try and get a air or battery im pact gun as they can be very tight.
u2u me if you need any more help as i have done hundreds off head gaskets on these!
cwiffen

14th Feb 09 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for your quick reply vxmechanic, i did try it with it in park but thinking about it i did have one wheel jacked up to get to the bolt. Would this stop it from locking up as the crankshaft just kept on turning. i'll have to look to see if i can hire an impact gun then maybe, does this not need to have the engine locked as well though?!?!?
vxmechanic

14th Feb 09 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well normally when i do them i paint the cam pully up to the rocker cover and inline with each other then i zap the bottom crank bolt out and paint up the bottomcambelt gear as a extra so once there off i can align my paint marks up and put the belt on as normal, i dont normaly lock any thing up, just paint it,
and if your doing the head gasket i would also replace the cam belt if it hasnt been done in a while, and check your head for any dips round the compression chanmbers as i have had one that had a 1mm taken out of it and had to skim the head, also check your old head gasket if it is leaking to find out were and check all that area over on the head and the block and make sure you really clean the head and block before you put the new gasket on, but not with sand papper lol
cwiffen

14th Feb 09 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well thanks again, that's excellent info :-) I'm changing the head gasket because i know its gone, it doesn't hold any compression in cylinder No 3 and it looked like mayo soup in the throttle housing when i took the cam cover off urgh. No mayo on the oil filler cap though for everyone's reference !!!!
So i'll just mark all the pulley's and whip out the crankshaft nut with an airgun, sounds simple which probably still means it will be a pig.
Just thinking, is it only the two cam pulleys and the crank pulley that need to be marked and lined up, or do the others as well? Cheers
vxmechanic

14th Feb 09 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its a 16v yeh both pullys and crank and 8v just one cam and crank (sorry for stating obvious) but you dont need to mark up the pump, just make sure u clean any surface b4 painting as i havnt before and lost my marks lol,
if you need any more help u2u me and i can give you my number if you get stuck
cwiffen

16th Feb 09 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi, unfortunately i wont get a chance to have another go at it for a couple of weeks so i'll let you know how i get on.
Just thinking of another question though....when i refit the head, assuming i get it off, should i put any sealant paste onto the head gasket or does it just go on clean and bare?
thanks.
swill_omnibus

16th Feb 09 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd be interested to know the results of this one as my dad has the same 1.4 auto as you m8 and im thinking of changing his head gasket!

Good luck with it and hope you get on well
vxmechanic

16th Feb 09 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the head gasket goes on clean and bare make sure both surfaces are clean off any old gasket remains
cwiffen

16th Feb 09 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK thanks, i'll keep you up to date as i progress.
vxmechanic

16th Feb 09 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok then mate i u2u'd u back just give me a shout when and ill sort some thing out
cwiffen

28th Feb 09 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I managed to find a bit more free time to undo the crankshaft bolt yesterday by the bar on the floor and flick the key method, so i've now got the timing belt off.
Run out of free time again at the moment tho' so cant do any more for a little while !!!!!
I'm taking loads of digi pics as i go along for reference, so may be useful for someone else in the future :-)
vxmechanic

28th Feb 09 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats alryte then, keep us posted
cwiffen

15th Mar 09 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had another go today and managed to get the camshaft sprockets and idler pulley's off and a few other bits.
Got a few Q's now if that's ok...
1. I've undone the 4 throttle body screws, is it ok to lift away the head leaving the throttle body where it is?
2. can i lift the head with the inlet and exhaust manifolds fitted as there is not enough room to get your hands in there.
3. Cant remember, got any more hints.

thanks
Carl
john_c20xe

15th Mar 09 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

leave inlet mani on remove exhaust mani
vxmechanic

18th Mar 09 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i did my head gasket a few weeks ago lol so all fresh on the topic, like john said take exhaust mani off but you can leave the intake on jus disconect cable, sensor plugs and vac pipes.
john_c20xe

18th Mar 09 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cwiffen

18th Mar 09 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for that but how the hell are you supposed to reach the lower left exhaust manifold nut, as the power steering thingy is in the way !!!!
I was going to unbolt the downpipe from the manifold and then remove the manifold afterwards.
What's the trick with manofold nut?
cheers
cwiffen

4th Apr 09 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Woo Hoo I've actually managed to get the head off today :-D I have to say it was very tricky, there's so many hoses and connectors that are awkward to get to but i have managed phew!!!!
So all i have to do now is scrape off the old gasket and try to remember how to put it all back together again :-\
I was thinking of getting the head skimmed but how much do i have to strip it down to get it done? do the valves etc need to come out?
I'm just thinking of replacing the gasket now as a garage would probably have done, or is the skimming a must?
cheers Carl
john_c20xe

4th Apr 09 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

skimming isnt a must at all i have never had a head skimmed unless its warped, test it with a strait edge and a tourch
vxmechanic

4th Apr 09 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As john said it aint a must but check it on a straight edge and if you can get any thing over 1 thou using a feeler gauge then get it skimmed, its not that expensive and u don't need to remove the valves, I have just changed my head gasket and had to skim my head, I took about 5/6 thou off mine
T
cwiffen

4th Apr 09 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok thanks i'll get the metal ruler and torch out tomorrow to see if i can see the light, hopefully not !!!!
If i need to get it skimmed, do i just take of the inlet manifold and take the head as it is then. That doesn't sound too bad.
cheers.
cwiffen

6th Apr 09 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good news, i couldn't see any torch light under the metal ruler edge at all (with the garage lights out as well) so don't think i'll need to get the head skimmed.
So now i've just got to scrape off all the muck from the block and then get it all back together.
cwiffen

7th Apr 09 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Next question for you all, when refitting the head to the block should I use a gasket sealant or does it all go together dry?
Cheers Carl
Davidkent

7th Apr 09 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Goes together Dry mate - This was answered a little further up IIRC

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll