corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Broadband Speeds...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Broadband Speeds...
Kano

User status: Offline
12th Mar 09 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just had Virgin broadband installed today. Checked the speed of it tonight and I'm getting 9.4 on my up to 10mgb...

Quite surprised it was that close to what they said, I thought they were all supposed to be much less than they say.

Pointless thread completed...
ssj_kakarot

12th Mar 09 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

na virgin usually gives you exactly what you pay for.

its isp's that run through adsl bt lines ect that often end up giving you a slower connection than you pay for, as the further from the exchange you are the less speed you get.

one of the great benifits of virgin.
bubble

12th Mar 09 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have 20mb virgin. its fuckin awesome. all we need do now is wait for the bandwagon to come along and say how crap they are. im happy with my 1984kbs download im doing now though tbh
dannymccann

12th Mar 09 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wish my shit contract was up with BT, otherwise I would have Virgin round biting their hands off for a decent connection, rather than the £36 a month I pay now for 140kb/s (on a good day) Wankers
ssj_kakarot

12th Mar 09 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bubblevaux
i have 20mb virgin. its fuckin awesome. all we need do now is wait for the bandwagon to come along and say how crap they are. im happy with my 1984kbs download im doing now though tbh

yeah but dont forget ntl will send you to jail if you download a torrent file and if more than 3 people on your street use it at the same time your speed will be slower than 56k
dannymccann

12th Mar 09 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

NTL wont send you to jail, but ambulance chasing lawyers will come after you trying to fine you for stuff
3lfz

12th Mar 09 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never tried to fine me
bubble

13th Mar 09 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ssj_kakarot
quote:
Originally posted by bubblevaux

yeah but dont forget ntl will send you to jail if you download a torrent file and if more than 3 people on your street use it at the same time your speed will be slower than 56k

my neighbours must have been on it last night because it took me 6 minutes to download quantum of solace and usually it takes about 5.

damn virgin
Dom

13th Mar 09 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been with CableTel/NTL/Virgin for years, never had any problems what so ever. Not saying that they don't have problems as a company, but if you happen to be in an area that has a half decent network then, like said, you're pretty much guaranteed a decent connection - i get 1.17mb/s on my 10mb connection, so it's spot on
Scotty_B

13th Mar 09 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm on Virgin 2mb and it was downloading at 420kbs last night.
ash_corsa

14th Mar 09 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I really dont understand my broadband!

Im with tiscali up to 8mb - BT test says i can receive 6mb

When i do a speedtest during the evening (7pm) i get 320kbps - V slow
When i do a speedtest during the day (3pm) im getting 6324kbps - Fast!

I understand peak and off-peak times but why the HUGE difference?

Sam
Premium Member

14th Mar 09 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cable connections will be faster as they are fibre optic. Standard ADSL is a mixture of copper and fibre optic.

If Virgin's customer service wasn't so shit I'd consider going with them.

@ash_corsa - you have to realise that when you have a broadband connection that doesn't mean you have your own private connection to the Internet. Multiple connections are multiplexed at the exchange, so if very few people are using it (daytime) your speed will be faster due to better bandwidth than at night time.

Also, some ISPs will 'throttle' connections during peak connections, because if they allowed everyone to have max. speed all the time, some users simply would not be able to connect at all, so to compromise they will lower your speeds during peak periods.

I don't know if they do this with cable though.
ash_corsa

14th Mar 09 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
Cable connections will be faster as they are fibre optic. Standard ADSL is a mixture of copper and fibre optic.

If Virgin's customer service wasn't so shit I'd consider going with them.

@ash_corsa - you have to realise that when you have a broadband connection that doesn't mean you have your own private connection to the Internet. Multiple connections are multiplexed at the exchange, so if very few people are using it (daytime) your speed will be faster due to better bandwidth than at night time.

Also, some ISPs will 'throttle' connections during peak connections, because if they allowed everyone to have max. speed all the time, some users simply would not be able to connect at all, so to compromise they will lower your speeds during peak periods.

I don't know if they do this with cable though.

Thanks Sam, i realise that during peak times more people are using it, but i just couldnt believe the huge difference in speed.
Would changing my ISP solve this? Fibre optic cable etc not available out in the sticks yet so its got to come down the phone line.
Is it to do with the BT side of it or Tiscali? Someone told me its Tiscali's servers
Sam
Premium Member

14th Mar 09 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit of both really.

I (and alot of others on here) recommend O2 Broadband, their basic 8Mb package is £7.50/month if you're an O2 customer.

There are things you can do though, like for example checking your modem/router is configured correctly, checking the BT plate on the wall is wired correctly, etc.
John

14th Mar 09 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If its different during offpeak and onpeak it's nothing to do with the wiring.

the isp is probably prioritising businesses with needs like voip during the day then at night opening up the bandwidth for all to use.

Changing isp should help it, although it can also be exhange related.

I'd change from tiscalli anyway because they're terrible.

I've just moved over to o2 but it's the access package which isn't as fast or as cheap as the other ones, i'm not too sure on it yet but i'll give it a chance.

[Edited on 14-03-2009 by John]
Sam
Premium Member

14th Mar 09 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No harm in checking (wiring) though John - the box itself might look nice/clean/modern on the outside but you'd be surprised how bodged the wiring inside them can be! (not blaming BT of course as anyone could have 'altered' it).

Still, at least he isn't getting Jambo-esque speeds (sorry Jamboid ).
ash_corsa

14th Mar 09 at 23:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cant see it being a hardware / wiring problem as i can regularly download at 6000kbps during the day, its just slow as fook during the evening.

I am an o2 customer but it works out v expensive for my because o2 have to rent the line off bt or something so i dont qualify for the £7.50 deal.
John

15th Mar 09 at 02:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's 17.33 or something with o2 for access, still cheap.

New Poll