corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Missus' laptop

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Missus' laptop
liamC

User status: Offline
3rd May 09 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not turning on at all, using the wire from the socket, or using the battery by itself.

Pressing the power button does absolutely nowt - dead to the world.

I know nothing about laptops as I use a mac desktop - any ideas what is maybe likely to be?
ssj_kakarot

3rd May 09 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmm is the power supply getting to the laptop, i.e is the power light turning on when you plug it in? could either be a faulty power supply which is easily fixed with a new power supply.

or it could be a hardware fault like bad connection somewere in which case its going to have to go to the manufactures really.
liamC

3rd May 09 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no lights at all on it when the power button is pressed.

If its the power supply will any do, or is it specific to that specific laptop make etc? Any ideas on rough cost of one of these for a laptop?
ssj_kakarot

3rd May 09 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

er its specific to that model, you can pick one up off ebay for 15 quid ish i reckon, from the manufacturer you usually pay 30 odd quid.

you can get universal ones off ebay that will work for around a tenner.

i would presume its a faulty power supply somewere down the line, if you jiggle the power adapter around does the power light pop on or off on the laptop sounds like its just not getting any power.
John

3rd May 09 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does the battery have a button on the bottom to check if it has a charge or not, if it does check if the battery has power.

Check if the led comes on when the charger is plugged in.

Try taking the battery out and using the charger only.

If we don't think it's the battery or charger it could really be anything at all causing it, easiest way to find out removing a bit at a time, if it was a faulty component you normally get some signs of life though.

Barring that i'd have an educated guess at either the power button itself or the motherboard.

Depending on the laptop the power button could either be on the motherboard itself, part of the keyboard or a seperate assembly connected to the board, unless she's comfortable stripping things down which I doubt, see if it's got warranty and give them a phone.
ssj_kakarot

3rd May 09 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah good advice if you can rule out the easy stuff like replacing the power supply best off leaving it to the manufactuer after that unfortunetly.

New Poll