corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Port & Polish

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Port & Polish
Craig P

User status: Offline
7th May 09 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi,
I know this is going to sound really Stupid,But this is my first Real Engine Build Etc,So take it Easy

Anyhow i was just wanting to check weather (sp) this Head has been Port & Polished?If not can someone Please explain the Term of this,Pics would be a Bonus.

Also what is meant by Gas Flowed,Is this just another term for P&P or is it something diffrent?

Thanks
Craig
andyc1234

7th May 09 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks like its been done yes. gas flowed just means its been tested on a flowbench to optimise the port polish 99.9% sure on that. doubt it will have been but its just what people say
philip2

7th May 09 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its been ported, but as you can see not matched to the gasket...which imo they have been to lazy to open it out and do a 'proper' job.

think gas flowing is where they test the ports before porting, then test them after blowing gas through and measuring it, to see the gains. good or bad.!!

the polished bit usually mean the exhaust ports that are polished, the inlets are never polished otherwise fuel wont mix withe the air properly and cause the fuel to 'pool' and burn in efficently!

beat me too it andy!

[Edited on 07-05-2009 by philip2]
Craig P

7th May 09 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So this Head hasnt been Gas Flowed nor has it been Polished?
Do you get any gains from it being Gas Flowed?

How much will it Cost to finish this Head off?

Im well pissed off now as i have been totally shafted when i bought this,As the Guy said it had been P&P'd and also had Cams in it Which obviously it hasnt and i spent Good Money on this
philip2

8th May 09 at 00:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

polished side is the exhaust, as the inlets DO NOT want to be as smooth.

best way is too get something like plus gas or WD40 or something that will eat at the caoke in the exhaust port and wipe it, that way if done properly and polished you should be able to tell straight away as should be easily wiped. dont use a wire bursh to decoke the ports as it would wreck the finish if been done right. ideally you should of had a receipt for the work.

the inlets have also been ported. but you should 'ALWAYS' match to the gaskets otherwise whats the point? imo anyway. and i do quite alot of headwork.

btw can you get some pics up of the inlets ports around the back of the valves....just looking down into the port better thats all, and the exhaust ports? i could maybe sort it out, but would mean sorting courier! you not take head back?

[Edited on 08-05-2009 by philip2]

Craig P

8th May 09 at 06:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by philip2
polished side is the exhaust, as the inlets DO NOT want to be as smooth.

best way is too get something like plus gas or WD40 or something that will eat at the caoke in the exhaust port and wipe it, that way if done properly and polished you should be able to tell straight away as should be easily wiped. dont use a wire bursh to decoke the ports as it would wreck the finish if been done right. ideally you should of had a receipt for the work.

the inlets have also been ported. but you should 'ALWAYS' match to the gaskets otherwise whats the point? imo anyway. and i do quite alot of headwork.

btw can you get some pics up of the inlets ports around the back of the valves....just looking down into the port better thats all, and the exhaust ports? i could maybe sort it out, but would mean sorting courier! you not take head back?

Well the Head is away ATM,Getting Acid Dipped so when it comes back all nice & Clean i should be able to tell if the Exhaust Ports have been Polished yeah?
No,No RecepitThe Guy i bought it of is called Phil GTE on Migweb (Is not you is it)And he said the Work had been Done by Gary?

Sorry to be thick but what do you mean by matched to the Gasket?

Ill get some more Picks when its Done.Well i really want it done properly and to a Good Standered and you seem to know what your talking about so if that is the Case i dont mind paying for a Courier.How much would it Cost me (Excl Courier?)

[Edited on 08-05-2009 by Craig P]
philip2

8th May 09 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nah not me matey. im philip2 on mig, vauxsport.

i think if he's said gary its gary hoole or poole or something. seemed to do alot of heads few years back, but been quiet recently.

if you look the castings comes inside past the gasket so to speak. really yoou want it matching to the gasket, as wel as the lower inlet matching, otherwise it can affect the air flow quiet abit.

yeah i can sort it. depending on whats what when back from being acid dipped really. but say between £100-120 inc skim/stem seals ready to bolt straight back on.
dalejones

8th May 09 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got my head off at th moment as im doin my head gasket if i send my head to you how much would you charge to port and polish it?? cheers!
philip2

8th May 09 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it will be more for yours, as craigs has essentially been done, so its just finishing it off.

ill u2u.
Craig P

8th May 09 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
nah not me matey. im philip2 on mig, vauxsport.

i think if he's said gary its gary hoole or poole or something. seemed to do alot of heads few years back, but been quiet recently.

if you look the castings comes inside past the gasket so to speak. really yoou want it matching to the gasket, as wel as the lower inlet matching, otherwise it can affect the air flow quiet abit.

yeah i can sort it. depending on whats what when back from being acid dipped really. but say between £100-120 inc skim/stem seals ready to bolt straight back on.

Yeah think thats him,He's susposed to be quite Good and done alot of Work
Right i think i know what you mean,Buy you seem more Gend up on it then me.
Well when it comes back i will get some more Pics to show you and we can discuss this further,And whatever needs Done can be Done as i want the best Performance & Reliability as possible.

Does the Head have to be Skimmed & Also how much Power will this Give?
Nic Barnes

8th May 09 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gary poole does do good head work, or did. for a good prices aswell back in the days.
philip2

8th May 09 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how much power does skimming give you mean?

cant really qoute figures tbh. as everything compliments eachother.

ie. a kent cam may say gains on 5-10bhp, you may see the 5bhp on a stock head, and a 10bhp gain with a ported head. its like i could say head gives say 8/10bhp, it would make that with a decent inlet(more air getting in) compared to the original crap vaux inlet where it might make 4bhp or something. heads usually help free power up across mid/top end of the powerband.

hope even some of that makes sense!

Craig P

8th May 09 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
how much power does skimming give you mean?

cant really qoute figures tbh. as everything compliments eachother.

ie. a kent cam may say gains on 5-10bhp, you may see the 5bhp on a stock head, and a 10bhp gain with a ported head. its like i could say head gives say 8/10bhp, it would make that with a decent inlet(more air getting in) compared to the original crap vaux inlet where it might make 4bhp or something. heads usually help free power up across mid/top end of the powerband.

hope even some of that makes sense!

Well i thought you only get the Head Skimmed if the HG went?

Yeah i know what you mean.Mine Engine is quite nicely Spec'ed but there's more to come.
I will find out when i go and get it RR & Set-Up.
philip2

8th May 09 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id reccommend a light skim when having the head done anyway. cant garuentee(spl) thats its going to be flat, or hasnt picked up any marks along the way. + i dont think you would be happy if put it on, and found out it was having problems with starting due to a warped head. then would look bad on me, which isnt something i would want lol.

+ cant harm with a skim to bump the CR up.

be good to see when done what it makes.

what spec is the motor btw?
Craig P

8th May 09 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
id reccommend a light skim when having the head done anyway. cant garuentee(spl) thats its going to be flat, or hasnt picked up any marks along the way. + i dont think you would be happy if put it on, and found out it was having problems with starting due to a warped head. then would look bad on me, which isnt something i would want lol.

+ cant harm with a skim to bump the CR up.

be good to see when done what it makes.

what spec is the motor btw?

Well yeah guess your right and it does make sense,No harm in doing it i suspose.Because as i say i want the best Results and most reliable i can get it Etc.

Well so Far....
Head;
Ported & Polished
270" Cams,Although i may change these?
Dbilas Vernier Pulleys
Mantzel Inlet Manifold

Block;
Fully Lightened & Balanced
New SDB Oil Pump
New Shells
Crank Slightly Grounded?
Bored out 0.5mm
New AE Pistons
ARP Conrod Bolts

Future Mods;
Exhaust Manifold & Full System
Fullly Rebuilt with SDB Parts
Lightened Flywheel & Uprated Clucth
Quickshift
Throttle Bodies (Jenveys,Dbilas?)
Rev Limiter Raised
Fully RR & Set-Up

Maybe more but thats all i can think of for now?

[Edited on 08-05-2009 by Craig P]
P1CK4D

8th May 09 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The money your spending on this engine, if you was to do the same thing to a XE you would see so much more.
Craig P

8th May 09 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by P1CK4D
The money your spending on this engine, if you was to do the same thing to a XE you would see so much more.

I know,But an Xe inst a Option for me and i prefer the Small Blocks
philip2

9th May 09 at 00:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds good. spend the money on the jenveys not crapy dbilas. if going proper TBS then you will use standalone management anyway. + if going to rebuild it in future, look at getting the pistons pocketed and runn some newman 288's make the most out of the motor
Craig P

9th May 09 at 08:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
sounds good. spend the money on the jenveys not crapy dbilas. if going proper TBS then you will use standalone management anyway. + if going to rebuild it in future, look at getting the pistons pocketed and runn some newman 288's make the most out of the motor

Yeah i will but most of it is built up now and i have spent quite alot of Money so far,So im quite happy the way it is ATM (For now) Anyhow Thanks for all your help so far,Its really appreciated.

Im expecting the Head back within the next few days so when i have got it,I will U2U You and discuss further
philip2

9th May 09 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no probs matey.

New Poll