corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Help: Complete newbie, installing a cigarette lighter on Corsa B. Wire madness

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Help: Complete newbie, installing a cigarette lighter on Corsa B. Wire madness
Meliv

User status: Offline
15th Sep 09 at 23:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey guys. I'm in dire need of help. Just got a delivery job (Dominoes ) and I need a cigarette lighter to keep my Satnav charged. Problem is my Corsa 1.0 Merit never came with one and I only have the cap on the cover. I looked all over the internet to try and find a completely simple newbie solution to installing one but it's all too technical to me. I ripped out my stereo and dashboard to see the taped up wires and hope something stood out to me. From what I can tell I need the 12v wire which is red and the black earth wire but I can't find them in the mess of taped up wires and I don't want to go stripping and clipping just to find out I've clipped the wires to my headlights

Can someone please explain to me what to do. And if possible, explain it to me like I'm 4 years old. I'm clueless. Thanks a lot in advance

Pictures:
The taped wires behind the stereo

The taped wires running under the dashboard

Wires from dashboard running down to the front left of the car

[Edited on 15-09-2009 by Meliv]
Ste
Premium Member

16th Sep 09 at 00:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Meliv
And if possible, explain it to me like I'm 4 years old. I'm clueless. Thanks a lot in advance

A four year old shouldn't be driving IMO

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Ste
Premium Member

16th Sep 09 at 00:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In all seriousness. If you are that clueless when it comes to auto electrics then get someone else to do it for you. There are numerous things you could do wrong and end up setting your car on fire.

I'm sure the wires should be there.

On the other hand, if you do want to attempt it. You will need: Wire cutters, strippers, crimp tool, a few metres of 16AWG copper wire, inline fuse holder, 20ampere fuse, four female lucar crimp terminals, two 5mm crimp ring tags, insulation tape, multimeter or voltmeter.

At the fuse box under the dash, using the multimeter find the live or switched earth tag depending on how you want it controlled.

Disconnect your battery for safety

crimp the ring tag to one end of the wire and then cut it after 6 inches, crimp inline the fuse holder using two of the lucar terminals, run the rest to the cig lighter hole. tape the wire to the existing loom so it doesn't hang loose.

strip and crimp a lucar terminal on the other end.

Find a suitable earth (usually one near the ECU) and connect to it using one of the ring tags. run this to the cig lighter hole and add a lucar terminal to the end of that wire.

you now have 12v and earth safely fused at the cig lighter hole, just connect it to a cig lighter remembering the centre terminal is positive.

reconnect the battery and test there is 12v at the cig lighter and that no bare wires are showing.

then call your insurance company and tell them about the mod. (Joking! call them and tell them you are using the car for delivery purposes as if you crash into me whilst uninsured I'll be well pissed off.)

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Haimsey
Premium Member

16th Sep 09 at 06:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im on my phone so cant link you directly, but i bumped my old thread.

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread

New Poll