corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Appartment People - Views Needed

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Appartment People - Views Needed
Danny P

User status: Offline
27th Oct 09 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know there are a few people on here who live in appartments so just after a few opinions on how they are to live in as i've been to look at some tonight and one of them I love, but i've just got a few concerns.

Its basically a converted old Church Hall in the next village on from mine. Really quite place with your typical shop, pub, post office etc. Its not massive, there is only 6 appartments and one house. They are really modern inside, but the one I like is on the first floor (it only has ground & first so i'm on the top) has all the curved windows in it so had lots of caracture (sp)

Basically i'm just after a few details/opinions on things. I know they will vary from place to place, but for a general overview I thought this would be a decent place to ask. So here goes:

How noisy can it be with people walking down corridors past your front door? The one I looked at will have to have 1 other occupants walking past it, but with it being upstairs they wil have to walk up these as well.

How do you all get on with the Ground Rent? Does it work well? Do things get done and does the building get looked after?

Re-sale. Have you had problems, or do you foresee any potential problems when it comes to sell on. Again location would dictate a lot of thi but a general overview would be good.

I'll get some pictures and stick um up when I get back from the gym an all so you can see what i'm looking at.
Neo

27th Oct 09 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm in the penthouse so you hear all the thudding from people downstairs, i dont have any corridors however as the lift comes straight to my landing.

Ground rent....Urm i pay £500 a year an a gardener turns up 3 times a week to keep it tidy, and it means if the lift breaks i'm covered. Fence blew down, we called the workman, fixed next day. Cant complain tbh.

Re-Sale IMO wont be any different to another home.
Aaron

27th Oct 09 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I live in a block of 6 apartments. Ground floor, first and second...i'm on the second (therefore the top)

I get pissed off when people bang doors...and shout in the stairs area late at night. I always get my own back though.

Ground rent here is quite good. i pay £50 per month and its gets me my windows washed, the stairs area cleaned every week. It also covers my buildings insurance...and if anything happens such as a fence falling down in wind etc...its all sorted out. They even totally painted the stairs area the other month...nice and new looking

Havent re-sold yet...but i know that i wont struggle to get rid of it.

[Edited on 27-10-2009 by Aaron]
Danny P

27th Oct 09 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good to hear you saying good things about the ground rent, as thats what is most playing on my mind. Got told it would be £200 per anum but they guy showing me round didn't know what it covered so i'll have to look into that.

I'll only have someone downstairs, and I dont reckon i'd hear them that much, unless they were really loud. There is another smaller appartment on my leven but it across a landing space and the other side of the stairs so unless they were really loud I dont think i'd hear them at all.

The one I looked at is the 4 windows in the top right of the picture above.

Car park area. I'd access from the door on the far left in the corner. Up one flight of stairs and then into the appartment on the left with the curved windows at the top.

Bathroom

Kitchen

Living Room

I did really like it, and felt at got the homely feeling when I walked in, but the this idea of comunal areas is putting me off a little bit. However, I'd imagine it would be a pain in the arse buying a house next to someone who was a twat so I guess its only the same thing really.......
Joe

27th Oct 09 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks ace that Danny, proper little shag pad.
AlunJ

27th Oct 09 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks well smart that! ground rent on the apartment I looked at was £1100 pa
Cosmo

27th Oct 09 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Danny P
How noisy can it be with people walking down corridors past your front door? The one I looked at will have to have 1 other occupants walking past it, but with it being upstairs they wil have to walk up these as well.

I have one door opposite mine and 2 just past mine. I hear them if they make plenty of noise but TBH unless they are coming and going every 10 minutes its a 20second distraction.

quote:

How do you all get on with the Ground Rent? Does it work well? Do things get done and does the building get looked after?

It was working great with mine up until about 6 months ago. A letter went round saying a lot of people had failed to pay the service charge, and if they did not do so then they would stop certain things it funds (cleaning, general maintenance, lick of paint, light bulbs in communal areas, replacing carpets, etc). Couple of months after that another, final warning, letter went around. We then got another informing us that the cleaning would be cut to once a week (was once a day) and the planned new carpets and paint in all the corridors would not go ahead.

This has really fucked me off, as I have paid my service charge (its about £1500 a year for mine) and wanted to put the apartment on the market or rent it but have been waiting for the new carpets and paint as will up the value. Now Im going to end up having to sell/rent it at a lower price even though Ive paid all my fucking charges.

To say Im pissed off is an understatement, and if I find out which people arent paying it then there will be a pile of bodies on the ground just under my balcony.

quote:

Re-sale. Have you had problems, or do you foresee any potential problems when it comes to sell on. Again location would dictate a lot of thi but a general overview would be good.

Other than the above, my apartments value has risen since I have owned it - which considering I bought it when prices were sky high is decent. I think this is mainly down to the location and the views which are unique within the city centre.

Id consider moving to another one though, or even moving to a bigger one with parking in this one. I think the main problem is the amount of renters in the building. When I moved in it was more or less a new build (I bought off a couple of had bought off plan and only owned it for 6 months from new) and most the owners lived in the apartments or left them empty for their own use. Now they are all being rented out to whoever can afford them (they arent cheap, £900ish a month min) and they just dont give two shits about how they treat the place and its really fucking me off.
Cosmo

27th Oct 09 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That apartment looks stunning mate!

With it only having the few apartments in it I doubt you'd have the problems I have.
Danny P

27th Oct 09 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joe
Looks ace that Danny, proper little shag pad.

Hopefully mate There isn't any exact pictures of the one I looked at but there from the others so its basically the same.

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
Now they are all being rented out to whoever can afford them (they arent cheap, £900ish a month min) and they just dont give two shits about how they treat the place and its really fucking me off.

Thats what was putting me off about some of the bigger blocks around here. The is a well nice one in Brighouse which is superb. Really nice building, nice views over the river etc. All the penthouses sold straight away, but the lower floor have struggled to be sold and in time have just been rented out willy nilly simply to get people in. Most are rented out via the housing association so you can imagine the types of people you get living there.

Its up for £115k, but if I go for it i'm hoping to get it down to £105ish. It comes carpeted throughout, fridge/freezer, cooker and bathroom suite as above so I dont think its too bad. Considering for that price round here your looking at 1 bed back to back terrace.

Going to have another look round on Saturday so will hopefully get some more info with regrds to the ground rent, insurance etc.
Cosmo

27th Oct 09 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well thats the most annoying thing, the apartments are being snapped up by renters as soon as they are on the market, so they are fetching decent money still.

You'd expect someone who could afford £900 a month to have a bit of respect for things and not be some shitter. If I see anyone doing some shit I'll fucking snap.
Joe

27th Oct 09 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need a lodger Danny?
jrsteeve

27th Oct 09 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Getting an apartment with character will certainly help when you come to sell it on, as you'll be competing against standard new builds so'd be able to command a premium.

Ground rent and service charges are unavoidable, just make sure you aren't being screwed by the management company. In a place like that i'd be careful about maintenance as older buildings are more expensive to maintain as you need special materials and fittings, but should only be a minor issue. Check that you aren't liable for repairs to the Church itself (if it's still there).

It looks mostly carpeted noise from the side should be minimal even with slags in heels.

Check the price is competitive and get it bought
Cosmo

28th Oct 09 at 00:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jrsteeve
Getting an apartment with character will certainly help when you come to sell it on, as you'll be competing against standard new builds so'd be able to command a premium.

But he'll also pay a premium now over a standard new build.
Ian
Site Administrator

28th Oct 09 at 04:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have to echo what Cosmo has said. I'm also surrounded by selfish wankers who either don't pay the service charge or leave litter in the communal areas, or throw little on the floor in the bin area instead of using the bins, or use full bins when empty ones are available, or park in your space, or just anything to annoy me.

I would have a house personally. You know where you stand.
Ste
Premium Member

28th Oct 09 at 05:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm on the top floor of 3 and my bedroom backs on to another apartment. I hear the ones behind and below me when I'm getting to bed but only very faint. I have the advantage of only sharing my landing with one other, but he does leave his bin bag by his door till the morning.

Also there are some cunts who repeatedly just lash their rubbish on the floor of the bin cupboard even when there are empty bins. Never have a problem with parking. My dedicated space is always clear and there is plenty of space for the second car and for mates. even in 24 foot wagons!

I rent, so my service charge is paid by the landlord (out of my rent) and never had a complaint about the communal areas tbh

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Ian W

28th Oct 09 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I live on the 1st floor of a 3 storey block (so i'm in the middle).

Only really hear people if they are on the landing or they let the door slam but its only now and again.

I rent so my service charge comes out of that, never seen any rubbish left around and the place is always clean and well kept. I got my own parking space and there is about 10 visitor spaces so never any car park problems.

Looks like a nice place from the pics - i'd go for it
jrsteeve

28th Oct 09 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:

But he'll also pay a premium now over a standard new build.

Worth it to have something a bit different, and will make it back on resale. Your block has views and location but due to the number of repossessions its taken a nose dive in its high spec status. Service charge @ £1500 per year isn't bad at all for there though. Paying just over £3k a year at the Hacienda
Cosmo

28th Oct 09 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Your block has views and location but due to the number of repossessions its taken a nose dive in its high spec status. Service charge @ £1500 per year isn't bad at all for there though. Paying just over £3k a year at the Hacienda

Tell me about it. I actually nearly bought the one next door to me as it went up for auction back in July I think it was, decided against it and then found out it sold for about £50k less than market value

Renting it is becoming a bigger and bigger draw for me recently, if I can hold on to it through this shite, it'll soon get filled with decent people again given the cost and go back up to its true value.

BTW- I looked at one in the Hacienda when I bought this one!
Robbo

28th Oct 09 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I find people who park in your space regularly soon learn when you block them in and go away for the w/e with a note sayign there is a cctv camera watchign my car
Robbo

28th Oct 09 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cosmos I would sincerely consider taking your mgmt company to court and sue them for breach of contract and reclaim yuor money. Have friends who've suffere dthe same fate and succesfully sued base don that money dudes website (the one with the bnk charges)
Cosmo

28th Oct 09 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
Cosmos I would sincerely consider taking your mgmt company to court and sue them for breach of contract and reclaim yuor money. Have friends who've suffere dthe same fate and succesfully sued base don that money dudes website (the one with the bnk charges)

Aye, it is something Im considering, waiting to see how long it goes on for before I take it further though.

Also need to check what is in my agreement, as it could state that this is something they can do - if thats actually legal I dont know.
Robbo

28th Oct 09 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would seem unlawful aye, if you pay them then they have a duty to carry out their side of the agreement but in fairness I can see why if they don't receive fees then they cancel doing the work but they can't expect to keep peopels money
Cosmo

28th Oct 09 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye, tbh they should be refunding the charges on a monthly basis instead of letting it collect interest for them.

If they do refund it then i'll be asking for my share of the interest back too!
ed

28th Oct 09 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Make sure it's well built. My appartment is shite, the doors don't properly and the neighbors smoke about 60 a day. Plus they decide to have fights and arguments in the corridor which gets noisy.

Basically, the problem where I live is what Cosmo describes. Renters Very hypocritical of me because I rent, but I'm quite a good boy in my flat
ed

28th Oct 09 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I'm allowed to be on my high horse about my place too. I think I've been living there the longest, apart from about 4 other people who actually live in the property they own...

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll