corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Apartment People

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Apartment People
James

User status: Offline
18th Mar 09 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pros and cons of living in an apartment over a house?

Obviously there are some obvious ones but any that you might not think of until you live in one?

There are a few nice purpose built blocks round here but there are rumours they are full of "social housing" types so i'm not sure.

[Edited on 18-03-2009 by James]
Cosmo

18th Mar 09 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I looked round a load when finding mine, most felt cramped, no outside space, shite views, often near noisy roads and with shite noise barriers between your appartment and the ones next to and above/below.

I do love living in mine though - its right in the middle of Manchester so can walk everywhere and get practically anything in walking distance, I have a decent sized balcony so have some outside space, its way off the main roads so is quiet and I actually managed to get a decent view (the main reason I bought it over others), its also fairly well (its never going to be perfect) insulated from the noises. I also benefit from being fairly high up so rarely use my heating as those below/next to me heat my place!

I do hate some things though - a lot of them are bought to be rented out so you end up having neighbours who dont look after the communial areas as most would - the amount of times Ive just seen rubbish thrown into one of the lifts or marks over the walls makes me . Also if you get next to someone who is a really noisey fucker then it'll ruin your life - luckily the worst Ive had is a couple who lived together for a few months and used you argue a hell of a lot, but it was good fun listening to it all.

Other than that it isnt too bad. I would def miss having somewhere to sit outside if I didnt have the balcony, especially come summer.
James

18th Mar 09 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah noise was my main fear I think.

Looking at something like this:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-20515918.html?locationIdentifier=STATION%5E10202&sortByPriceDescending=false&minBedrooms=2&maxBedrooms=2&radius=1.0&pageNumber=1&backToListURL=%2Fproperty-for-sale%2Ffind.html%3FlocationIdentifier%3DSTATION%255E10202%26sortByPriceDescending%3Dfalse%26minBedrooms%3D2%26maxBedrooms%3D2%26radius%3D1.0

Outside patio, views of the local canal. Within walking distance of mainline station which would save me £100 a month in parking for starters.
dannymccann

18th Mar 09 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I couldnt live in a flat due to the experiences weve had so far, mainly due to 'noise pollution', when you are looking round you can guarantee the people around that flat wont be in or wont be making the maximum noise they ever make Which is a shame cos they are a good, modern, cool even, way of living
Colin

18th Mar 09 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pro's - No garden.

Cons - No garden.

Seriously though ive been in apartments which are more spacious than a typical detached house & better set out. What would stop me having one over a house is I live in a flat just now so dont see the point in moving to something similar, I dont like having people joined on, you hear everything no matter how much insulation they claim to have used. Lack of a garage to store my junk/work on the car would be a major diadvantage for me also.
Colin

18th Mar 09 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there no townhouse style builds near you? You get a bit of a comprimise of both with one of these.

I'd love to get one of these that are local to me - http://www.s1homes.com/newhomes/2008063011264975.shtml?development=10

4 bedrooms. Massive Lounge. No garden but does have large deck (summer bbq's ) which doubles as a car port to the garage. I think there mint, end plot with neighbours to only one side would be ideal!!

[Edited on 18-03-2009 by Colin]
James

18th Mar 09 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If there was they would be out of my budget. That flat is at the top end of my budget, anything vaguely resembling a house will be a lot more.
Danny P

18th Mar 09 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
There are a few nice purpose built blocks round here but there are rumours they are full of "social housing" types so i'm not sure.

Thats my main concern around here.

There are a few very nice appartment blocks round here, but, the market is obviously slowing down at the moment and there are loads left unsold. Good thing for me looking, but if they dont sell then I bet the Council will snap a load up on a bulk buy to get them cheaper, then rent the out to dole scummers.
James

18th Mar 09 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would love a place like this

http://www.homesonview.co.uk/Scripts/fulldetails.aspx?cid=BRANSURR&aid=BRANSURR&pid=BSP00311&src=rightmove
James

19th Mar 09 at 01:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This would be perfect

http://www.seymours-estates.co.uk/Property/Residential/for-sale/Woking/Surrey/WKSEY080993
dannymccann

19th Mar 09 at 06:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

By the looks of the area and the cars and what not the Seymours one looks viable as a terrace as you will have respectful neighbours, dont forget a shit neighbour on one side of a terrace will ruin your experience of your home

edit - just gone through the pictures, looks really really nice Although to me its so expensive, but then im further north than you

[Edited on 19-03-2009 by dannymccann]
neoquip

19th Mar 09 at 07:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
This would be perfect

http://www.seymours-estates.co.uk/Property/Residential/for-sale/Woking/Surrey/WKSEY080993

eek £210k!!!!!!

didn't pay that for ours! shows how areas put the price up
Adge

19th Mar 09 at 07:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i live in a house now bt i will be buying an apartment once my fixed rate mrtage expires!
Twiggy

19th Mar 09 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The North house prices FTW!
BYRON

19th Mar 09 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Consider any monthly service and maintenance charges too.
I looked at plenty of apartments, and the house won for me purely on outside space. Cosmo touched on a few things aswell which added to my decision.
Ian W

19th Mar 09 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Yeah noise was my main fear I think.

Looking at something like this:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-20515918.html?locationIdentifier=STATION%5E10202&sortByPriceDescending=false&minBedrooms=2&maxBedrooms=2&radius=1.0&pageNumber=1&backToListURL=%2Fproperty-for-sale%2Ffind.html%3FlocationIdentifier%3DSTATION%255E10202%26sortByPriceDescending%3Dfalse%26minBedrooms%3D2%26maxBedrooms%3D2%26radius%3D1.0

Outside patio, views of the local canal. Within walking distance of mainline station which would save me £100 a month in parking for starters.

Thats the type of thing im looking for, luckily there no where near that pricey up here, I love the North
Danny P

20th Mar 09 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
This would be perfect

I'm so glad I live up North.

One about the same size as that down the road from me currently sitting at 85K
--DAN--

20th Mar 09 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
This would be perfect

@ the price.
James

20th Mar 09 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fucking northerners
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Mar 09 at 12:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pros - it's cheaper, more modern and requires less maintenance than an older house. It also has less rooms, which means each room is bigger. My bedroom and living room are a very good size but I've no dining room and only two bedrooms. Which on my own is OK.

BTL and investment means there's also loads empty at the moment, which is good for peace and free parking.

Cons - BTL means you get neighbours who don't care and drop litter and make a mess of communal areas. I hate hate hate hate that when junk mail is delivered to everyone some other people in the block just drop it by the mailboxes by the front door like that's a bin. The bin is over the car park 30ft away. Just lazy.

Plus there's the issue of noise although if I'm being honest that's probably more a complaint which my neighbours have against me!! Having said that the flat whose bedroom butts up to mine have a new baby and although I have heard her cry it's very quiet indeed, like you wouldn't even notice if if you had a bit of music on. They're well built.

And my view is shit. But I don't look out of the window.

If I was thinking financially I wouldn't make the same decision again. I would rent one. But hindsight is a wonderful thing.

If I didn't worry about the finance too much I would definitely do it again. It's a nice place.
Cosmo

21st Mar 09 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Cons - BTL means you get neighbours who don't care and drop litter and make a mess of communal areas. I hate hate hate hate that when junk mail is delivered to everyone some other people in the block just drop it by the mailboxes by the front door like that's a bin. The bin is over the car park 30ft away. Just lazy.

You think that is bad, our mailboxes have a bin right next to it as we had the same problem with people sorting their mail and just dumping the junk on the floor...and they still do it even though the bin is right there If I ever catch anyone doing it I'll collect all the junk for a week and put it under their door!
Aaron

21st Mar 09 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My two cents (I live in an apartment btw)

Pro's - No garden to look after, easier to maintain, easier and quicker to clean, cheaper to run (in terms of heating etc), nice view from balcony.

I live on the top floor of my building. I love living here....but I’d never live on a floor other then the top one, because I wouldn’t like people above me.

Cons - No personal garden for the summer, no personal drive way (although I have a car park with a reserved space), noise from other people in my building really does my head in (banging doors etc)...so much so that I’ve on a few occasions ramped my music right up to get my own back (and one of the cunts who bangs doors had the cheek to knock on my door to ask me to turn it down ), you generally have to be more considerate in terms of making noise.
Tom

23rd Mar 09 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pro's, easy to look after, will look nice outisde, should have decent people living there but not necessarily.

Cons, cramped, thin walls, communal areas are a bit pointless cos' you feel stupid using them etc.

I used to live in a new build apartment and it was ok but expensive for what it actually was and I would choose a less 'shiney' house over an apartment any day.
Doug

23rd Mar 09 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Flats are for renting and houses are for buying.

Cosmo

23rd Mar 09 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Doug
Flats are for renting and houses are for buying.

Depends on the apartment/flat.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll