corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Head bolts and head gasket

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Head bolts and head gasket
Rob-e91

User status: Offline
2nd Mar 10 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The car's done 0 miles since the rebuild, but i had to take the head off again so can i use the same head gasket and bolts??
Kevxx

2nd Mar 10 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

head gasket can't be re-used as it gets compressed.
philip2

2nd Mar 10 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New bolts and gasket. Bolts stretch
scottyp1989

2nd Mar 10 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

use same bolts and gasket if engine hasent been used,
Root

2nd Mar 10 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

everyone says you can't use the same head gasket again, and the first time I did:

the car ran for a few days then we noticed it tapping, so took head off, took the gunk out the oil feed pipe and plonked the same head gasket AND head bolts back on. car ran fine for another 10k+ miles.

2nd time: Just replaced the whole head, got it back together (with a new gasket on, same bolts...next time i will change bolts, lol), and realised there was a leak of water from the head so we stripped it, then rebuilt it with the same head gasket, compressed and ran fine.

at the end of the day, it's not going to damage your car to use the same gasket if you have to...providing it's not been on there for miles and miles and/or is damaged. Even though i don't change mine all the time, i reccommend you change it if you can.

[Edited on 02-03-2010 by Root]

New Poll