corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Timing belt replacement

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Timing belt replacement
Tony 2187

User status: Offline
   6th May 10 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi guys im new to here having just got a corsa on a freebie off a mate, only thing is, the timing belt snapped, on the plus side, he was not moving and stopped the engine as soon as it snapped, question is, will the engine be ok if i just realign the engine to TDC and put the new timing belt on, obviously im gonna check the valves are ok, just looking to find out if im wasting my time or if its worth giving a try, i know how to use a spanner so will be doing the work myself, surely worth the £16 rish of a new timing belt, as i currently cant afford to drop in a 2.0 turbo block yet

thanks guys
grez12

6th May 10 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well if your good with a spanner just take it to bits and check everything before you get a new belt i would recommend a new waterpump when ya do it as well
Tony 2187

6th May 10 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so i gather the waterpump is a bitch, is that due to doing the tension or just that its (obviously) made to a price? i was planning to just strip the head and make sure the valves and everything else is good, dont fancy having to change the engine on my mums (sloped) garden
arizona ste

6th May 10 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you need the car 2 drive about in you shud just buy a timing belt then fit it see if it works you never know you can be lucky av seen it 3 times now and then maybe think about stripping it down later
Tony 2187

6th May 10 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok cheers for the advice im just gonna do the timing belt and see how it goes, let you know if i need a cylinder head or engine in the future lol
alan-g-w

7th May 10 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do a timing belt on it then just crank it by hand before you start it. If it seems fine then go ahead and try to start it.
Tony 2187

10th May 10 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right, new question, the bolt on the pulley(crank) is a inverted torx, can i get this off with a normal socket or do i have to buy the special socket for it, and if so, where can i buy the socket from, and how much as im now skint unless someone in the liverpool area can borrow me one for a few hours. cheers
Terry12

11th May 10 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think from memory i've used a normal multi tooth socket before but wouldn't advise it for tightening stuff up incase you round it the bolt.
Use a spanner if it's for turning the engine over with, Pull the spark plugs out to make life easier when turning it over.
arizona ste

11th May 10 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

go to your local garage they might lend you one and they wont be that much to buy but as them bolts are tight its no good just buying a cheap thing or u will jus b wasting your money cos itl most likely brake before you get the bolt out. the best bet is to use the proper sized torx though because if you round it then it will be more difficult and will need more expensive gear (extractors) to get it out and even then it might not want to come out

New Poll