corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Mac (Snow Leopard) using a network printer connected to a windows pc?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mac (Snow Leopard) using a network printer connected to a windows pc?
sigibbons

User status: Offline
8th May 10 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok so we have an Epson Rx520 connected to a Vista PC via USB.

The PC is connected to a wireless router and the macbook is connecting to the WIFI fine.

I have managed to get the mac connected to the printer using SMB but when i try and print something it just comes out as absolute rubbish, script or something?

I think I need to find a driver or something?

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Simon
Andrew

8th May 10 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Printer manufactures are now getting cleaver and will not allow printing via a share over USB. There want you to buy their networked version. Found this a few times. Vista is also not the best OS in the world to be working with.

Also, it is better to install the drivers on the Mac and then point to the print server.

Printers are generally a pain in the arse mate. Good luck
sigibbons

8th May 10 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bummer.
I'm sure it can be done as I have heard lots about it mentioned when i google it, but just a bit stuck with my situation.
Ian
Site Administrator

8th May 10 at 16:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's installed as a Windows printer then you should always be able to add it as a share.

Sounds to me like the Mac driver is PostScript or something and the Windows one isn't.
sigibbons

8th May 10 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes Ian i have the mac driver selected as postscript as recommended, the driver on the windows pc is just the normal Epson one you get on a cd with the printer.
Steve
Premium Member

8th May 10 at 17:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
Printer manufactures are now getting cleaver and will not allow printing via a share over USB. There want you to buy their networked version. Found this a few times. Vista is also not the best OS in the world to be working with.

Also, it is better to install the drivers on the Mac and then point to the print server.

Printers are generally a pain in the arse mate. Good luck

WTF i install printers daily and iv never seen or heard of this, show me something to back this up

[Edited on 08-05-2010 by Steve]
Aaron

8th May 10 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I must agree, i've never seen or heard of this either
Steve
Premium Member

8th May 10 at 17:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Besides its windows that controls the sharing, as part of windows file and folder sharing, the printer or driver wont have any control over the sharing
Ian
Site Administrator

8th May 10 at 18:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sigibbons
i have the mac driver selected as postscript as recommended
Try turning that off.
sigibbons

8th May 10 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You have to select something different if you don't want postscript. I have a few drivers that are supposedly for it but cannot get the mac to see them.

How tricky is this!
Ian
Site Administrator

8th May 10 at 22:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might also work if you have a PS driver on the Windows PC. I'm guessing, but that would be my first job.

New Poll