corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Shares in BP

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Shares in BP
mattk

User status: Offline
28th Jul 10 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would this be a good idea at the moment, I mean things can only get better for them at the min?
AndyKent

28th Jul 10 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure. If it was so certain they'd go up, they'd have already gone up if that make sense.

There's still a lot of risk if legal action against them is successful and they become liable for billions of clean up costs, rather than just millions.
Colin

28th Jul 10 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could still drop further as imo this is nowhere near the end of the deepshit horizon incident.

Depends how much money your talking about putting in tbh. Dont expect a quick turn around either!!
Dom

28th Jul 10 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They've been on the increase for the last month or so. Lowest was towards the end of June when it was 300p a share now they are floating around the 400-420 area. The highest they've been in the last 10 years or so is only 700 odd a share and just before the cock up it was 650 ish.
As Andy said though, it's risky with all of the legal action and it could very easily go south. But even if that did happen they would eventually climb again just due to the nature of the company.
So it might be worth doing as you're likely to increase what ever you put in by 50% or so (thats if they go back up to the 600 mark), but it's a long term investment.
Limecat
Banned

28th Jul 10 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Could still drop further as imo this is nowhere near the end of the deepshit horizon incident.

Depends how much money your talking about putting in tbh. Dont expect a quick turn around either!!

Best answer on here.

Ok, they have picked up since the well was capped by about 30 odd percent when I last looked but the magnitude of this shit hasn't even begun yet. In financial terms BP will be paying for this for a VERY long time.

As a short term investment, it really is in the lap of the gods TBH.

As a long term, 5+ year investment it would be a wise move IMO but you have to bear in mind there are generally two types of investors with shares - speculators, those looking for money by a rise in the share price and then off loading and savers, people who look for returns via dividends.

Now bear in mind that the last dividend was cancelled due to this fiasco and that any you MAY receive in future would be hampered by the costs of this disaster and the pool of savers has dwindled massively. This will hit share prices, it's simple supply and demand at the end of the day.

I have heard they have lost £11bn in the last 3 months? I do not know if that is the well in particular if classed as it's own cost centre or BP as a whole though.

Risky but as with anything, the bigger the risk the bigger the potential gain. Shares could drop further and I think probably will in the short term TBH.
Dom

28th Jul 10 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LET has summed it up slightly better

For short term i'd look at the OTC, although it's a pretty risky market but the the returns can be pretty high.
Limecat
Banned

28th Jul 10 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah but I have a shite load in Centrica who own British Gas (I swear I told people on here to bung their money in ages ago?) and they have announced big profits (as I said). The public are up in arms with fuck all knowledge.

British Gas were the cheapest on national average usage, the way their pricing is geared means that those using more than average are the 'big' customers. Those using less than 3300 units of electric or about 22,500 KWH of gas aren't making much, if any (or depending on use - a loss)

What the dickhead press do NOT mention is that British Gas have recently changed from a 'care product' (people who have cover for their boiler/central heating/plumbing/drainage/electrics etc) to an Insurance product. The difference in tax is HUGE. That is a major part.
Dom

29th Jul 10 at 00:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LETGSI16V
Yeah but I have a shite load in Centrica who own British Gas (I swear I told people on here to bung their money in ages ago?) and they have announced big profits (as I said). The public are up in arms with fuck all knowledge.

British Gas were the cheapest on national average usage, the way their pricing is geared means that those using more than average are the 'big' customers. Those using less than 3300 units of electric or about 22,500 KWH of gas aren't making much, if any (or depending on use - a loss)

What the dickhead press do NOT mention is that British Gas have recently changed from a 'care product' (people who have cover for their boiler/central heating/plumbing/drainage/electrics etc) to an Insurance product. The difference in tax is HUGE. That is a major part.

I missed the boat on Centrica when they were 2 quid a share towards the end of last year, not a bad return now if you managed to get in at that.
Robbo

29th Jul 10 at 08:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Simple answer is no

this years financial rsults will be a disaster despite the fact that underlying performance is actually decent - the market sees them spending out hideous amoutns of money to cap this well plus they ahve a new CEO taking voer.

as said, as a long (potentially long long) term thing then yes they will appreciate but in the short term (and even maybe un to 5 years) it is unlikely to see you much gain
whitter45

29th Jul 10 at 09:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

havent they just increased due to management change

We seem to oppperate under the same thing - its all about share price

New Poll