corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » PC boots but keeps cutting out

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author PC boots but keeps cutting out
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

User status: Offline
16th Sep 10 at 21:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hia

trying to debug a computer issue, its running

Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 "Energy Efficient SLACR 95W Edition" 2.40GHz (1066FSB)
Asus Rampage Formula Intel X48 (Socket 775)
Enermax Pro 82+ 525W EPR525AWT PSU

PC boots, but keeps cutting the power randomly, for example I'll boot off a Ubuntu CD, go to memory test and within 30-60 seconds it will cut the power and turn off. Same result if I boot the OS the hard drive (Windows) or boot Ubuntu off the CD.

Earlier it would cut off before it went into the bios, but I think the CPU cooler was loose, so I've installed that properly (now it doesnt wobble!) and I could get into the bios, the CPU temp is 80'c (thats idle!) and it has a thermal cut off at 90'C

I've tried swapping over the ram but no love, the CPU temp at idle seems really high and I was wondering what everyone else thought about this? I've disconnected the HD and just ran it with the CDROM/graphics card on the basis that the PSU is goosed but the result is the same.

Any clues or ideas? I'm thinking of getting the PSU tested but it will sit in the bios with the hardware monitor open no problems - if the temp is really high then I might go down the route of reappyling the thermal gunk, when I had the cooler off earlier I looked at the gunk and its all there still, but not sure if theres more to that (in regards to inspecting the gunk lol)

Not sure what else to add, the PC has plenty of cooling, fan at the top blowing out, fan on the back blowing out and I've had the side of the case off while fucking about with it.

Any help appreciated.
John

16th Sep 10 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it the thermal cut off that's causing it to power down?

Could put the cut off up temporarily and see if it stays on for a bit longer.

If it is that you can try more thermal paste but if there's any on it at all that's normally enough.

Is the cooler definitely on properly?
willay
Premium Member

16th Sep 10 at 21:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I could turn off the thermal cut off and give it a go, though if a processor is reaching 90'c is that going to fry it? Not a good position to be in

From my experience I'd say the cooler is on, all the prongs are screwed in properly and there is no movement if I put my hand round the heatsink and give it a tug
John

16th Sep 10 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You don't want it going much higher than 90 no, just to try and find out if that is the cause or not.
willay
Premium Member

16th Sep 10 at 21:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like a sexy plan for another evening, whats the likelihood of it being a fucked component? I mean if there was an issue with the mb or cpu i'd expect bleeps, no post or hang.
PaulW

16th Sep 10 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Voltage and FSB settings on the mainboard are correct for the CPU yeah?? If so, and its running that hot at idle with good thermal compound & working HS&Fan, then I'd put my money on the CPU being fucked and damage done from when the cooler was originally loose...
PaulW

16th Sep 10 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, and not all CPU failures will be notified via a beep, they can cause it to just die as its doing.
willay
Premium Member

16th Sep 10 at 21:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've also cleared the CMOS so its running default/auto settings. The heatsink and fan are the standard items that came with the CPU.
willay
Premium Member

16th Sep 10 at 21:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need to convince a mate with the same motherboard to let me borrow his CPU for testing if this is the case, just googled the CPU and BOOM £167 for a new one, ouch
Richie

16th Sep 10 at 23:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is a common issue with 775 boards when one of the legs has popped or sheared... and judging by the idle temps I'm guessing that's the case and it's not sitting 100% flush.

I'm running my Q6600 right now at 30c idle whilst overclocked to 3ghz... so 80c is just crazy.
Dom

17th Sep 10 at 00:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You shouldn't be seeing 80/90c at idle with the stock intel cooler, it should be more like 40/50c at idle. As Richie said, get it looked at.
If it isn't a dodge CPU, ram and the thermal cut out in the BIOS isn't triggering the shutdown then i'd look at checking the PSU (the BIOS won't really be causing much load on the lines) and have a scout around the motherboard just to see if anything has gone (ie: capacitors has popped - has happened to me a few times).

Richie - I currently run a thermalright ultra 120 + Noctua on my 6600 and it idles around 35-40c at stock speeds, just wondering what you use to cool yours and if that's 3ghz on air?
willay
Premium Member

17th Sep 10 at 06:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Richie
This is a common issue with 775 boards when one of the legs has popped or sheared... and judging by the idle temps I'm guessing that's the case and it's not sitting 100% flush.

I'm running my Q6600 right now at 30c idle whilst overclocked to 3ghz... so 80c is just crazy.

legs have popped or sheared? what exactly are we talking about here? the pins on the bottom of the CPU itself or something on the board?

Thanks for everyones help
Sam
Premium Member

17th Sep 10 at 07:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stating the obvious, but you're cooking it.

Probably something as simple as just needing some new thermal grease applied to the CPU (Arctic Silver 5 ). Had the same problem on a PC once, someone had used cheap shitty grease that had just disintegrated.

[Edited on 17-09-2010 by Sam]
willay
Premium Member

17th Sep 10 at 07:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but the grease is all there, I'm pretty confident its the stuff that comes with the CPU too.
John

17th Sep 10 at 08:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If there is any grease there at all it would stop it overheating.

Arctic Silver makes little to no difference, I've been through all this in my overclocking days
willay
Premium Member

17th Sep 10 at 08:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

interesting
Dom

17th Sep 10 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
quote:

legs have popped or sheared? what exactly are we talking about here? the pins on the bottom of the CPU itself or something on the board?

No the 6600 doesn't have pins, has pads instead. Richie was talking about the legs on the stock cooler, they're plastic and aren't that strong. But it sounds like you've had the cooler off already.
I would resit the CPU though - get the cooler off, scrub both CPU and cooler surfaces with alcohol and re-apple some thermal paste and see how you get on. Even with the stock cooler it shouldn't be getting that hot, so something isn't right.

Also note that the 6600 has Intels 'Speed Step', so when there isn't any load (ie: in BIOS) in drops down to ~1.6ghz instead of the standard 2.4ghz. Although that makes it even more worrying if it's pumping out 80/90c at 1.6ghz

Edit - If it's your system then i would really recommend ditching the stock cooler and replacing it with something like the Thermalright 120 (currently one on ebay).

[Edited on 17-09-2010 by Dom]
ed

17th Sep 10 at 10:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is the CPU actually getting that hot, or are you getting a duff reading? 80 seems to be a pretty silly temperature...
Richie

17th Sep 10 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
You shouldn't be seeing 80/90c at idle with the stock intel cooler, it should be more like 40/50c at idle. As Richie said, get it looked at.
If it isn't a dodge CPU, ram and the thermal cut out in the BIOS isn't triggering the shutdown then i'd look at checking the PSU (the BIOS won't really be causing much load on the lines) and have a scout around the motherboard just to see if anything has gone (ie: capacitors has popped - has happened to me a few times).

Richie - I currently run a thermalright ultra 120 + Noctua on my 6600 and it idles around 35-40c at stock speeds, just wondering what you use to cool yours and if that's 3ghz on air?

I'm using a £16 Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2... but the CPU is undervolted at 1.2v. This CPU can run at less than 1.1v on stock settings - I must have got one of the gooduns. I got mine when the G0's first started appearing, and I was lucky enough to have got one that wasn't advertised as a SLACR G0
Richie

17th Sep 10 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
quote:

I hope you've taken the heatsink and CPU out to take a look - the CPU's don't have pins.

It's possible as well that the pressure plate is sat on the gimp. Start from scratch innit.

[Edited on 17-09-2010 by Richie]
willay
Premium Member

17th Sep 10 at 11:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The system isnt mine, its for a friend.

Rich - I haven't taken the CPU out of the socket yet, I've only removed the heatsink and reseated it properly (see my first few posts) - the heatsink is clamped on properly and cannot move.

Do you guys suggest my next move be remove the CPU, check everything looks ok and re-sit it?

Cheers for everyones input
Richie

17th Sep 10 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would deffo suggest taking the CPU out, cleaning both the CPU and heatsink with TIM clean, and appying some new thermal.

BTW - the heatsink can appear to be clamped solid but if a pin hasnt engaged tidy it will still not sit flush, but will appear to be tight

Guide to help with proper removal and reinstall

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2231

willay
Premium Member

17th Sep 10 at 11:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks mate, will have a read of that later. I've built a few systems in my time and have had no problems with my builds, so didnt think there would be much to installing a cpu and heatsink

btw whats TIM clean?
Richie

17th Sep 10 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There isn't much too it but if you dont reset the pins on the heatsink properly then your in for a nightmare

TIM clean is a solvent that allows you to wipe off thermal paste as if it was milk, and removes most of the residue
John

17th Sep 10 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Use nail varnish remover, or autoglym intensove tar remover instead, you must have one of them about.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll