corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » iPhone 3gs build query

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author iPhone 3gs build query
Jambo

User status: Offline
20th Feb 11 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello

Got a strange problem. I have been trying to get my mum an iPhone for a while now. As you know i work for a well known communications company so know all the stuff i should "need" to know, but i am now currently on my THIRD iPhone for my mum. All brand new sealed units from Orange.

1st unit had fault sim try that wouldnt pop out, had to get tweezers to open it as it appeared to get stuck

Was sent back.

2nd Unit was 100% fine then all of a sudden lost sound. Could not get a ringtone or any input sounds. Speakers just stopped working. Tried all the usual fixes software upgrade restore etc.

Was sent back

3rd one has arrived and all seemed fine, just un bricked it in itunes, all fine. Went to light screen up by pressing keylock button and noticed the button is petruding?! I offered it up to my 3gs and mine looks like a regular apple product and sits completelly inline with the body just 1mm petrouding.

This sticks out higher at one end, and looks shit.

WTF is going on? Am i just REALLY unlucky to get 3 shoddy iPhones in a row? (There are 4 3gs handsets in the house not 1 with a single fault)
Or have they changed the way they make them? I.e different cheaper factory or something?!

Im loathed to send this one back, but 24months with a faulty phone is a bit shit.

Thoughts/experiences?

[Edited on 27-02-2011 by Jambo]
stu_c

20th Feb 11 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if im being honest mate

they are just over priced SHIT!!!!!

i work at o2 and the amount of iphone's that come back in a day is just not right for the price of them!!

ive gone to a blackberry and my missus has my old iphone and now she dosent use it due to the dropping of calls and freezing and considering it cost me £560 12 months ago its just not right!!

just send it back and demand a different phone if i was you
N3CRO

20th Feb 11 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Crapple are the Microshaft of the phone inductry tbh.
They make crap and everytime they try updating said crap, they make it even more crap.
bwbw

20th Feb 11 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

second fault happened to me. after a few days was alright....
Dom

20th Feb 11 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you getting orange to replace them? Are they going back to store (same store)?
It might just be a dodge batch. Could try getting Apple to replace it as you might get lucky.
Jambo

20th Feb 11 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They aren't crap
The build on my 3GS is perfect and far superior to my plasticky blackberry or my old nokia. I too see a number of faulty iPhones day in day out but considering the amount more iPhones we sell than anything else it rings true.

However, the build on the ones I have had are not satisfactory. I just wonder if I'm being picky?

They where all ordered from direct sales over the phone. Using the long distance selling act able to return to replace for new ones.

The one with no sound doesn't concern me as that's a generic afault nd more than likely a software issue. However the tray and the button are both build issues. I was once told that of the edge between the chrome and back is "rough" then the unit is faulty. Rumour?

I may point out the phone works 100% fine
Dan
Premium Member

20th Feb 11 at 21:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My key lock button sticks out About 1mm

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
VegasPhil
Premium Member

20th Feb 11 at 21:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take it to apple. They will sort it no questions asked.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Kerry

21st Feb 11 at 06:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My lock button sticks out but with the bumper it sits flush

Also agree with apple comments they have always been brill and they know more about the phone and faults than providers IMO
Dan
Premium Member

21st Feb 11 at 06:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Instore customer service from apple is immense. Went in with an iPod touch that wouldn't switch on, within 5 mins I was walking out with a new one.

I'd defo take it to a store for advice

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Jambo

21st Feb 11 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But they will supply a refurb. And for a brand new 24m plan I don't want my mum with some piece of shit refurb.

I may just upgrade her to an iPhone4!
ed

21st Feb 11 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think 50% of my friends have iPhones and the other 50% have Blackberries and Android base phones. No one has had problems like that with their iPhones, must be some serious bad luck? I took my first iPhone 4 back because it had they yellow screen problem that didn't go away but apart from that, nothing.

After three attempts at a fix, Trading Standards will get you a refund if the operator tries to play silly buggers. Can you not get a better contract than 24 months too?

[Edited on 21-02-2011 by ed]
Jambo

21st Feb 11 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I get a large discount Ed so it's fine. Plus my mum will not complain about having a phone for 2years.

I don't know wether I should just keep I, afterall it works ok. I have a rubbish pic ill upload.

Jambo

21st Feb 11 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry for shit pics I only had a few moments.

My 3GS for comparison

Fro

21st Feb 11 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My touch is the same as yours mate.
AndyCorsaSport

21st Feb 11 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 3G sits the same as your's Jambo, and its a replacement from Orange, i think they send re-furbed ones but unsure? Im on my 3rd in 12 month, 1st speaker fucked and stopped working. 2nd screen cracked, silent button stopped working, if you put it to silent setting it just constantly vibrated.
Tommy L

21st Feb 11 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take it to Apple. My lock button stopped working and they had a quick look inside and couldn't figure out the fault. They gave me a brand new 3GS as it was under warranty. I would just go to a store. Book a genius session or whatever it is called online and go in at the time your chose.
Jambo

22nd Feb 11 at 00:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can return it if I want. Won't cost me anything. Just trying to see if I'm being picky?!

U
Jambo

27th Feb 11 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

**Update**

Kept the phone, have noticed at work the 3gs we now sell appear to have larger on/off buttons. Must be a new design or part used.

Geek worthy fact there
Tom G

28th Feb 11 at 00:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you work for vodafone jambon?
Robbo

28th Feb 11 at 09:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Orange
andys sxi
Premium Member

2nd Mar 11 at 16:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyCorsaSport
My 3G sits the same as your's Jambo, and its a replacement from Orange, i think they send re-furbed ones but unsure? Im on my 3rd in 12 month, 1st speaker fucked and stopped working. 2nd screen cracked, silent button stopped working, if you put it to silent setting it just constantly vibrated.

mines doing the same as yours with the silent thing,it happened a few days after the 30 days were up so i havent bothered to take it in yet, but it used to vibrate like made when i touched it but now the button doesnt do anything now

April 08 feature car

New Poll