corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Quick summary on credit cards please

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Quick summary on credit cards please
Graham88

User status: Offline
11th Mar 11 at 03:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can somebody quickly explain what it means when it says 0% on balance transfers but 2.9% fee for balances transferred within the first 60 days? I am sure it means that I will have to pay 2.9% of whatever I transfer, but that seems alot?

Just applied for a Barclaycard Premium Credit Card as my Santander Zero CC has just run out of the 0% period and I want to transfer the balance.

Cheers!
John

11th Mar 11 at 07:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You are charged 2.9% of what you transfer, which is added onto your overall balance.
gtitim

11th Mar 11 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will cost you £2.90 for every £100 you transfer over, but that balance will then be at 0% rate
Graham88

11th Mar 11 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks very much
deano87

11th Mar 11 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You will however get charged interest on the 2.9% you transfer.
John

11th Mar 11 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

?

He won't. He'll get charged a one off fee of 2.9% of the amount he transfers, them it will be interest free for X months.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
11th Mar 11 at 19:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

0% interest, 2.9% fee.

So you if you transfer £1000, you pay £29 in fees.

Depending in the exact wording, this fee may also be not included in the interest free portion so will continue to accrue interest as you pay off your original grand.

Depends if the fee is counted as part of the BT or as a purchase on the card. Worst case is you'll be at 20% odd for it and not be able to settle it because the interest free balance is preferred for the repayments.
John

12th Mar 11 at 00:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've never seen one that does that, although I'm sure it is possible.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
12th Mar 11 at 01:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure I have but it's something to check.

Its usual to prioritise the 0% portion though so if you buy something on the card you don't actually make a contribution to the chargeable balance until the rest is paid off.
Dan
Premium Member

12th Mar 11 at 17:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought the new law stated that payments to your card had to pay off the highest interest rated money.

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
dannymccann

12th Mar 11 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan
I thought the new law stated that payments to your card had to pay off the highest interest rated money.

I also thought this, quite how you can get a credit if you are too thick to work out paying off the higher interest balance first is a mystery but yea I thought it was a law as well now
Graham88

14th Mar 11 at 01:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The last 6 or 7 posts have completely lost me now tbh
Rob_Quads

14th Mar 11 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are to do with what gets paid off when. Previously most cards worked like....

Balance transfer £1000 @ 0% for 12 months
Go buy a toy £100 @ 20%

When you made payments you have to pay the whole £1000 off before you start to pay the £100 i.e. you will be paying the 20% rate for the long time.

Now the law has changed so that the highest rate purchases will be paid off first i.e.

When you made payments you have to pay the whole the £100 off first as its at 20% and then once thats finished you will then start to pay the £1000 off.

Its how the CC companies made a lot of money by getting people to do balance transfers and then also spend money on a card at a high rate.

New Poll