corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Broken toilet

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Broken toilet
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
   17th Jun 11 at 07:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Last night our toilet decided that it didn't want to flush any more, so we've now had to resort to filling up a bucket of water and using that to flush any waste away.

The toilet we have is some weird looking system that uses vacuum pressure via clear tubing (like what's connected to your windscreen washer bottle in your car), the tubing at one end is connected to the button you'd normally press to flush the toilet, and the other end goes on to some green plastic thing called "Dudley" in the cistern.

Is this a cheap/easy fix? Our landlord seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth so it looks like this will be yet another repair that we will have to pay for ourselves.
spencer88

17th Jun 11 at 07:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get it repaired and forward him the invoice.
Sam
Premium Member

17th Jun 11 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just done some research online, it's a "Dudley Vantage" pneumatic flush cistern apparently.

I downloaded a PDF from their website which shows how to fit it and how to remove the outlet valve, but I'm not sure how you go about manually draining the water out of the cistern?

Any plumbers on here know how?
Andrew

17th Jun 11 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sam, you live in a rented house. I would not be paying the rent if repairs were not done.
Sam
Premium Member

17th Jun 11 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dismantled the innards of the cistern, it needs a new pneumatic flush valve as a bit of plastic at the top that holds the valve in place is breaking off.

Thanks for everyone's help BTW
mattk

17th Jun 11 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont come accross them that often, when I do though they are a pain, pointless shit like this does my head in, no need for a toilet flush to be so complicated at all.

Id advise sacking the pneumatic one off and fitting a conventional siphon if possible
d
effo the landlords responsibility though, he needs to give his head a wobble
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Jun 11 at 21:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You shouldn't need to drain the cistern, I changed mine without disconnecting any water, just needed to hold the inlet up so it didn't feed more in so I could see what I was doing.
Sam
Premium Member

18th Jun 11 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The problem with the cistern as it's one of these "concealed" ones hidden behind a false panel, I can't remove the counter top only one panel which gives you access to the cistern so very limited visibility.

The PDF manual I downloaded from the Dudley website said that I had to drain the cistern first before removing the flush valve, there is handily an inlet valve which I turned off to stop the cistern from refilling.

Anyways, the replacement part is about £30, for now we bodged it with some rope to hold down the broken part and it seems to be working so far. If it fails again we'll no doubt have to pay for a new one, but from our point of view we don't really want to as it's not our house and we literally cannot get hold of our landlord (he's been in Pakistan for the past several months apparently, according to one of the people that does work for him).

Fingers crossed we won't be here for much longer!

[Edited on 18-06-2011 by Sam]
Gary
Premium Member

18th Jun 11 at 09:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
The problem with the cistern as it's one of these "concealed" ones hidden behind a false panel, I can't remove the counter top only one panel which gives you access to the cistern so very limited visibility.

The PDF manual I downloaded from the Dudley website said that I had to drain the cistern first before removing the flush valve, there is handily an inlet valve which I turned off to stop the cistern from refilling.

Anyways, the replacement part is about £30, for now we bodged it with some rope to hold down the broken part and it seems to be working so far. If it fails again we'll no doubt have to pay for a new one, but from our point of view we don't really want to as it's not our house and we literally cannot get hold of our landlord (he's been in Pakistan for the past several months apparently, according to one of the people that does work for him).

Fingers crossed we won't be here for much longer!

[Edited on 18-06-2011 by Sam]

Get a plumber in to do the job and short pay your rent. Simple
Chris
Premium Member

19th Jun 11 at 21:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you have more than one toilet swap the parts save on the cost
Sam
Premium Member

20th Jun 11 at 07:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The rope modification still works.

BTW - you got my email Chris?

New Poll