corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Is this a cam chain fault?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Is this a cam chain fault?
modernmoto

User status: Offline
   19th Nov 11 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi fellow members,

I’m a newbie so please excuse me if this question has been asked elsewhere on another part of this help forum?

I have a 2005/55 plate 81,300 mile Vauxhall Corsa 1.3 CDTI Life 5 Door. I have noticed a flat spot or blip of power, in particular around 1500 revs in second gear and sometimes it occurs in 3rd gear.

If I drive the car more aggressively by using more throttle, racing it, it doesn’t happen however, I don’t think it is good for the car if I drive it like this, plus it’s not a very economical way to drive and this is the reason I bought the car in the first place, to save on fuel!

Is this a common problem with this model? I convince myself it is not a fault, just a bad design of power to weight ratio with the gearbox however, I am beginning to think if a cause was mechanical, it might derive from the cam chain being slack and it’s the backlash effect?

I hear Vauxhall recommend the cam chains are replaced at 81,000 miles and I dont know if mine as been changed as I have only just bought it and it never came with a service history however, friends tell me that they only need changing if they are stretched and are making rattling noises but it doesn’t seem to be making much noise if rattling is such a symptom?

The engine or gearbox does seem to make quite a “grunting” noise when the engine is first started up from cold but it does seem to disappear when it is warmed up?

Please can any fellow Vauxhall Corsa 1.3 CDTI driver who may have experienced a similar occurrence with their own car give me any advice or indeed any mechanic who also has knowledge of such things grant me their wisdom?

It will be greatly received and appreciated.

Best regards,

Modernmoto.
johnhara1

19th Nov 11 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?276695-Combo-van-1.3cdti-flat-spot

It seems to be a common complaint.......but not necessarily a problem mate.
modernmoto

19th Nov 11 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thank you johnhara1. I guess I'll just have to adapt to driving it more enthusiastically!

[Edited on 19-11-2011 by modernmoto]
johnhara1

19th Nov 11 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The last post on that thread says to try soaking the wastegate arm in WD40 so i'd give that a go and see if it makes any difference.
modernmoto

19th Nov 11 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll give the "WD40 soaking of the wastegate" a try. I'll have to read up to see where it is first? Cheers johnhara1

New Poll